Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

whats up bullshido

Ihave wanted to learn a martial art for about 3 years now, due to ďunforeseen life circumstancesĒ I havenít had the time or money to do so. All thatís cleared up now and I feel Iím ready to move on to learning a MA.

For the past month I have been scanning the internet from time to time on information on different styles and dojos. When I saw the bullshido banner on the something awful forums I decided to check it out and here I am.

I am 20 years old, 155 pounds and in fairly good shape. To be honest I have no idea what style of martial arts I want to take up but I do know what I want to get out of it. First and foremost is to push my physical ability to its limits, secondly is self defense, and thirdly is to have fun and possibly compete.

so as my first post I would like to ask a few questions.

• Knowing my goals what type of martial arts would you recommend? Iím looking for something challenging yet viable in a self defense situation.
    • CrossFit? A couple of people at school have recommended that I go take Hakido classes there but knowing nothing about Crossfit (other than itís a huge chain) and very little about Hakido (other than its Korean).

Thatís about it for now
    Last edited by wretched_gavek; 3/31/2006 1:44am at .

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing, kick boxing, muay thai, brazilian jiu jitsu and judo and pretty much the favorites around here. You're not likely to go wrong with any of these. I wouldn't recomend hapkido because the quality can be real hit and miss, mostly miss.

and good morning to you too supporting member
    Style
    MT/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which is more fun for you:

A) Hitting someone.
    B) Submitting someone.

A would mean boxing or muay-thai. B would mean brazilian jiu jitsu. Most judo doesn't have the focus on physical training so I wouldn't go that route. Hapkido is a last resort.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Which is more fun for you:

A) Hitting someone.
    B) Submitting someone.

A would mean boxing or muay-thai. B would mean brazilian jiu jitsu. Most judo doesn't have the focus on physical training so I wouldn't go that route. Hapkido is a last resort.

I have been known to throw a mean jab so guess hitting people is more my forte.

what differentiates muay-thai from regular kickboxing? (or are they one in the same)

Style
    Muay Thai, CSW
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wretched_gavek
    I have been known to throw a mean jab so guess hitting people is more my forte.

what differentiates muay-thai from regular kickboxing? (or are they one in the same)
    i believe that kickboxing is what muay thai people do. as in it's the sport itself. muay thai will teach you more then that. Omega mentions it in the "Why your martial art sucks" thread.

Style
    Boxing and Ju Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Akido is unstopable.

All you gotta do is stop and ask your oppenent if you can barrow their hand for a second. Then you twist it really hard making them do flips and such.

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArtfulDodger
    Akido is unstopable.

All you gotta do is stop and ask your oppenent if you can barrow their hand for a second. Then you twist it really hard making them do flips and such.

unstoppable you say? flips you say?

No, but I went around looking up info on muay-thai kickboxing, it looks incredibly fun. watched some guy named bevy knock some dude out cold with a kick to the face on you tube.:bom:

also it seems to cover the physical aspects i was talking about.

now it seems i need to find a good school in my area.
    Last edited by wretched_gavek; 3/31/2006 4:00am at .

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok after a quick look for schools i have run into a snag there are only two dojos that are in a reasonable driveing distance. both kung fu arnis acadamys

Style
    BJJ, mma
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arnis is cool. You get to hit ppl with sticks!

I'm betting there's a boxing gym somewhere near where you live, there's one everywhere in the states. You'd get a much better workout at a boxing gym than a kung fu gym. although, every gym/dojo is different. Most places will let you train for a week to try it out, so you're best bet is to go try everything for a week. But be very careful about signing ANY contracts.

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Style
    Okinawan Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tai Chi all the way!

You will be able to do it even when you are really old, and your strikes and kicks will be so agonizingly slow that your opponent will submit out of sheer frustration.

You can check out aTai Chi video at you local blockbuster!
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last