Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 1:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The "poofing" of TMA?

Hopefully I am posting this in the right category....if not, flame away.

Having been generally exposed to a few different martial arts throughout my life, and directly studying a few others, I have generally run across the following comment/observation that runs across the board regardless of style. The old "masters", or sensei who have decades of experience generally state that "When I was coming up (insert honored Judan here) would kick my ass regularly....can't do that now-a-days."

In the mid 80's I remember my kenpo instructor saying this, my current jujitsu instructor has said it, Iíve been to seminars with other "masters" in Goju Ryu, TKD, Judo, Shotokan, Arnis, and they have all generally stated the same thing, i.e., back in the day their teacher would pound them into learning.

Hearing this from my kenpo instructor was no surprise and I figured it was just the school, because a friend of mine was studying Uechi Ryu at the same time and was doing knuckle push-ups with wooden dowels between his knuckles. BUT now, hearing my jujitsu instructor, and other grappling art instructors say this surprises me. We kumite every class and allow the whole gambit of submissions including small joint. Twice a week we throw on the 4oz gloves and go at it and at least one class we put on head gear and 14oz or 16 oz gloves and go at it just stand-up. Other than getting whipped with an escrima stick what happened in the old days compared to training today.

Has anyone else heard these statements from their instructors? and from the older guys, do you believe that MA training across the board (or in your specific style) has softened since your time in the Kyu ranks?

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard people say that at my old school, it used to be so much harder before, people started sparring at white belt, there used to be a green belt fighting test, Sensei made us do this, the Fighting tests used to be harder. I eventually left when I found a school that trains like everyone said they used to train.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 2:22pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All i know is i'm just constantly told to shut up and work on passing guard.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 2:25pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think in some instances it is true. Ask any TMA school, that got sued. It happen in my org. Sparring is so pussified now it isn't even funny.

One of many reasons I left.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/10/2006 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yer- my dad is a brown belt in gou ryu (i think? something like that) when he was a kid they learnt by *gasp* actually fighting, not the ***** crap you see nowadays. i havent seen him in many fights which is odd because he is a loud mouthed (usually) drunken irishman, but what i have seen brings the old adage about not fucking with tough old people to light

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 8:31pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone likes to talk about the good old days. But they all sucked if you ask me. Polio and getting killed by the flu! Anyways some schools might have trained real hard but had to stop because of law suits. I think though that for the most part teachers who say "o back in my day we used to kill each other....but Im gonna teach you like a *****" are just trying to justify themselves training like a *****. Get it? As far as your grappling instructor saying they used to train so hard wheb he was coming up hes just reminiscing(everyone does) but unless they raped students who didnt do well I dont know how much more hardcore you could get.

HEYYY Im no longer a noobie!

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 8:37pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    Has anyone else heard these statements from their instructors? and from the older guys, do you believe that MA training across the board (or in your specific style) has softened since your time in the Kyu ranks?
    I think what they say is true SOMEtimes. It is true that there was more leniency in the olden days that would allow stricter teaching methods by instructors. However, many people like to exaggerate the difficulty of their own training in order to lend legitimacy to their credentials.

While it's true that some people did used to get beaten for disrespecting "Sifu" not everyone who says they had to do 900 knuckle push ups while getting beaten by nunchaku to get their blackbelt actually did have to do that.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    3/12/2006 2:24pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    Everyone likes to talk about the good old days. But they all sucked if you ask me. Polio and getting killed by the flu! Anyways some schools might have trained real hard but had to stop because of law suits. I think though that for the most part teachers who say "o back in my day we used to kill each other....but Im gonna teach you like a *****" are just trying to justify themselves training like a *****. Get it? As far as your grappling instructor saying they used to train so hard wheb he was coming up hes just reminiscing(everyone does) but unless they raped students who didnt do well I dont know how much more hardcore you could get.

HEYYY Im no longer a noobie!
    I have so often asked, "Is hockey still being played the same way it was 10-15-20 years ago? Is football, soccer etc?!? Then why the f*ck are we still fighting like its 999BC?!?"

TKD:violent1:

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    3/12/2006 3:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the **** is JuiJitsu?

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    3/12/2006 4:06pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    F*ck its an English translation of a Japanese word, I wouldn't get stuck on spelling per say as much as I'd be anoyed with sloppy technique.

"Kimura, Keylock, Hammer Lock, who cares, I just tore your rotator cuff...."

TKD
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast