Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 8:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I have a question about police officers..

I have been curious and could not find a similar thread in the search, but was wondering which style of martial arts, a policeman is most likely to have some training in.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 8:17pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    None. Really.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 8:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i know that lots of police precincts here have boxing clubs.

/me waits for the aikido club to come in screaming about japanese riot police

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 8:57pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikken Hisatsu
    /me waits for the aikido club to come in screaming about japanese riot police

That's funny. Y'all read Angry White Pyjamas, huh. teehee fools tink yakuza gonna throw themselves hahaha

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 8:59pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoardHitBack
    That's funny. Y'all read Angry White Pyjamas, huh. teehee fools tink yakuza gonna throw themselves hahaha
    Presumably, the little men who live in your teeth understood this comment.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 9:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing and Judo are pretty standard fare in Europe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 9:03pm

Style: JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't speak for civilian police officers, but as a military police officer. We were told explicitly to refrain from using prior martial arts skills and stick to the techniques taught to us and follow our standard operating procedures.

Why? Because punching someone in the nose is often not viewed upon very well. When we arrest someone, we do not fight them we subdue. We have a certain escalation of force and we're allowed to be one level above that of the person we are subduing.

Simply put, if they wanna be rowdy, we pepper spray them. If they wanna get physical and strike at us, we use our expandable batons. If they wanna use a weapon, we use our guns. The only martial arts type techniques were for handcuffing (basic armbar, wrist lock and come alongs) and releases for weapon retention.

Grappling would be what I think would suit a police officer best; but I would go as far as saying BJJ would not be the best for a police officer. The last place you really want to be is rolling around on the ground. As a police officer you want to remain standing up until the point you have the suspect on the ground, a knee in his back and are putting on the cuffs.

This is not 1 vs 1 combat in a ring. There is a gun already involved as you have it on your hip. I forget the statistics, but as a police officer if a suspect ever takes your gun away from you, the probability of you being shot by your own gun becomes sickeningly high.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 10:04pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    None, so that means you can take them out even if you do TKD. Seriously. You should try it out. And also tell them you pay their salary. All the cops I know LOVE that line.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 10:24pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Presumably, the little men who live in your teeth understood this comment.

Maybe. But I imagine anyone who'd read Angry White Angry Pyjamas, a book by Robert Twigger that was about his year in Japan training at the Yoshinkan Aikido Honbu dojo on the senshusei course they run for the japanese riot police and prospective instructors, would see the sense as well. For anyone else-

Aikidoka in my neck of the woods rave about both the book of his experiences and the course itself. The book is a great read- but an Oxford graduate that won its most prestigious prize for poetry was always going to have a flair for writing. The course is taught tuesday to sundays 8 hours a day, and is intensely demanding. Not one day can be missed barring extreme emergency or you fail. You can't continue due to injury, you fail. You give up at any point, you fail. You ain't up to scratch, you fail. Not the soft flowing aikido we all know and love to LOAO at by all accounts. Hard and and fast in execution. It is telling that next door to the dojo is a traditional bone-setters. Heavy reliance on forms tho. The course is required for riot police if I remember rightly.

You still have to throw yourself, so I can't see that its any good. On the hand, Twigger's prolly the aikido guy I've seen that looked like he could hold his own and didn't come across like all pacificstic. But still. You had to throw yourself.

Moral of the story? Read more, talk less smack

Posted On:
    3/31/2006 12:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the replies sofar..
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast