Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Intro

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Intro

Long time lurker, First time poster. A little background on myself... I did several years of TKD as a kid (yah I know) and more recently some Judo in college.
    I recently moved to the Studio City/ North Hollywood area of California and I am looking for some suggestions on a good school in my area. I have one MA school down the street from me, but let's just say I don't want to have to go buy a set of black pajamas to practice throwing duct tape lightining balls at my fellow students (throwing stars and religiously watching American Ninja 1-3 would have been acceptable though).

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're in the middle of Studio City and you can't find a decent dojo. Let me guess you still live with your parents and you haven't learned how to use the yellow pages yet.

Names
    Styles

comeback when you're done

fag..

that's right I called you a cigarette butt....

and you're gay...

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone know if the Muay Thai Academy of America is a reputable gym? It's the only Muay Thai gym I could find north of the hill. I have also heard of a group of BJJ guys who roll over at CBS Radford but no mention of any school or classes.

I'm primarily interested in training in MT, but if there is a standout Judo or BJJ school in the Studio City area I would certainly consider it. Thanks for the help.

http://www.muaythaiacademy.net/tournaments.htm

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LA is filled with good BJJ schools, just look around a bit.

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I should be specific. I know I have some of the top schools in the country within 10-20 miles from me (Gokor, Gracie, Inosanto, etc). The problem is that with my job and LA's traffic I don't have time to commute to those schools. I'm looking for a reputable school that is within say 10 minutes driving distance of Studio City or Burbank.

Style
    Hapkido/Street Fighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, there is no such thing as a bad style. Just bad students. Every style has good moves. You just need to expand on it and make the bad moves good and the good moves better.
    If at all possible than go with your own style. The problem with a style is that while it may have worked for 1 guy, that doesn't mean it works for you. Just train through experience.

Style
    na
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Sloth
    Okay, there is no such thing as a bad style. Just bad students. Every style has good moves. You just need to expand on it and make the bad moves good and the good moves better.
    If at all possible than go with your own style. The problem with a style is that while it may have worked for 1 guy, that doesn't mean it works for you. Just train through experience.
    LordSloth,
    Dumbest post ever, you should definitely consider suicide. For you, it may be the best option.

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sloth, I would disagree, not every style is created equally. Every style is just a poor shadow of the deadly Tae Bo.

That being said, I think it's safe to say that it is common sense to find what works for you but I would rather be pointed in the right direction towards good training than trying to shed the bullshit on some TKD chambered kicks and make them work better.

Style
    Chinese Boxing

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Gonzo
    I guess I should be specific. I know I have some of the top schools in the country within 10-20 miles from me (Gokor, Gracie, Inosanto, etc). The problem is that with my job and LA's traffic I don't have time to commute to those schools. I'm looking for a reputable school that is within say 10 minutes driving distance of Studio City or Burbank.
    Traffic in LA suck ass no matter where you drive. You should kill yourself for living in that traffic black hole called LA... I still can't think why I loved that city. I must be into masochism or something...
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Page 1 of 2 12 Last