Sponsored Links Spacer Image

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well at the full-contact tournament on the weekend.The way I could i dentify betwen fighters and non-fighters is that fighters tended to walk around like they had one foot heavier than the other.Also they usually looked way more tired.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 5:52pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a test that has so far proved infallible in detecting people who are not tough. If they jump up and down, naked in front of a mirror, and, if after a minute, parts of their body are still moving, then they're probably not that tough.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 5:53pm

Style: Muay Thai, CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9

The guys wearing the MMA, UFC, Tapout shirts with all thier tats showing. Semi-flexed lats and traps. Slightly cocked head with a grimace like, WTFULOOKINAT? Check out thier car and it has at least 1 tapout sticker on it. Yeah buddy - keep trying. Maybe if you project this intimidating presence nobody will mess with you. And you will never have to come to grips with the fact that you are insecure.
    I see a lot of guys like this in my area. It's not uncommon to see people with "Tapout" on their cars. I always wonder what's the likeliness that these guys can actually fight or they just do that for show?

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 6:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9

I try my best to 'blend' in. Button up shirt. Glasses sometimes. Tattoos are all covered. Nobody knows anything. The only things that give me away? Ears, nose, hands and facial scars. But unless you are looking you probably wouldn't notice any of it. I put on a smile and lull you into a false sense of security.

The funny ones?

The guys wearing the MMA, UFC, Tapout shirts with all thier tats showing. Semi-flexed lats and traps. Slightly cocked head with a grimace like, WTFULOOKINAT? Check out thier car and it has at least 1 tapout sticker on it. Yeah buddy - keep trying. Maybe if you project this intimidating presence nobody will mess with you. And you will never have to come to grips with the fact that you are insecure.
    It's funny you mentioned that because Iíve been doing Karate for almost 7 years and I still I tend to be as unobtrusive or non-threatening whenever I walk by a "fighter" or when I go to another gym.It's like I really don't try to look for trouble.
    Last edited by CanucKyokushin; 3/29/2006 6:05pm at .

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 7:48pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've met a lot of unobtrusive people who were complete ass-kickers. I've seen a lot of swaggering cocky wannabes who look the part, but couldn't fight there way out of a wet paper bag. There's just no telling.

As some have mentioned, their hands, ears, and nose may be an indication of their fighting skill. But in other cases, all of the knife scars are covered by their shirts. So, you never know...

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 9:22pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    I've met a lot of unobtrusive people who were complete ass-kickers. I've seen a lot of swaggering cocky wannabes who look the part, but couldn't fight there way out of a wet paper bag. There's just no telling.

As some have mentioned, their hands, ears, and nose may be an indication of their fighting skill. But in other cases, all of the knife scars are covered by their shirts. So, you never know...

True....I think the closest judgement call you can make is whether someone is confident in handling ****. No-one matter how unobtrusive someone is a close look at the way the carry themselves will tell you alot about how they'll deal with confrontation. Those that swagger and talk **** can generally be seen being made to cry like bitches by a quiet guy that doesn't panic and **** about- prefering instead be the firstest with the mostest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 11:03am

Style: Intergalactic

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a guy in my office who I often shoot the **** with. I found out the other day that he earned a TKD black belt in high school and boxed out of a very good local gym for the better part of four years. To top it off, somebody else told me that he used to spar regularly with a guy who went to the Olympics. The funny thing is that he's small and man-pretty.

There's another guy I went to school with who is 6'3" and all of 160 lbs or so and real quiet, but from a tough neighbourhood. Some guy threw a salt shaker at our table one night at Denny's after the bars closed. It almost hit me, so I went over to their table to find out who threw it/act tough/be a general drunken ass. My buddy - who I didn't know that well at the time - came right over with me. One of the dudes stood up, pushed him, and was promptly put on his back with quick 1-1-2 while he stood on his foot. Argument over. Turns out this guy was an amateur kickboxer with a 9-1 record over two years, all decisions by KO or TKO.

Most guys who ooze bravado and are loud-mouths are just fucking peacocks - Look at me, I'm so tough, i'll knock you the **** out, you don't know who you're messin' with, etc, etc, etc . . . All the guys I know who I would call tough-guys don't mouth off, they just throw down when they have to, usually while the other guy is posturing and talking tough. Talk is cheap and usually comes from a punk trying to intimidate their opponent - usually.

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 11:26am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Fist
    There's a guy in my office who I often shoot the **** with. I found out the other day that he earned a TKD black belt in high school and boxed out of a very good local gym for the better part of four years. To top it off, somebody else told me that he used to spar regularly with a guy who went to the Olympics. The funny thing is that he's small and man-pretty.

There's another guy I went to school with who is 6'3" and all of 160 lbs or so and real quiet, but from a tough neighbourhood. Some guy threw a salt shaker at our table one night at Denny's after the bars closed. It almost hit me, so I went over to their table to find out who threw it/act tough/be a general drunken ass. My buddy - who I didn't know that well at the time - came right over with me. One of the dudes stood up, pushed him, and was promptly put on his back with quick 1-1-2 while he stood on his foot. Argument over. Turns out this guy was an amateur kickboxer with a 9-1 record over two years, all decisions by KO or TKO.

Most guys who ooze bravado and are loud-mouths are just fucking peacocks - Look at me, I'm so tough, i'll knock you the **** out, you don't know who you're messin' with, etc, etc, etc . . . All the guys I know who I would call tough-guys don't mouth off, they just throw down when they have to, usually while the other guy is posturing and talking tough. Talk is cheap and usually comes from a punk trying to intimidate their opponent - usually.
    "When you ask a karate ka 'Do you know karate', and they say 'Yes I am a very good fighter', don't worry about them. When you ask and he says 'I know a little', watch out for this one."
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 11:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    My question is can you just tell that people do martial arts?
    Sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    I can tell when someone knows how to handle himself, they carry themselves differently. They might be cops, soldiers, martial artists,or anything - but they "vibe."
    I know what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhamma
    "When you ask a karate ka 'Do you know karate', and they say 'Yes I am a very good fighter', don't worry about them. When you ask and he says 'I know a little', watch out for this one."
    I hate it when people ask me. I try and be modest and say the latter, but people always want details....then I start listing **** and they look at me all weird.
    :new_all_c

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 11:51am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am an American football official.

When I call college games I usually don't hear much out of the coaches.

When I used to call little league games the coaches would bitch the whole game, and they usually didn't know the rules or have a fucking clue what they were talking about.

Point is most times the less some one knows, the more they talk.

And the more they know the less they talk.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast