Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 10:10am

Style: kickboxing, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    www.fighter-fitness.com

"Björn Friedrich" is a former(?) european submission wrestling champion, trains bjj(has a purple belt now, grading done by Roy Harris)

and does only bodyweight exercises

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 2:06pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, I prefer a more holistic approach to resistence training. I don't feel that bodyweight only exercises can provide brute strength that is sometimes necessary for grappling or MMA...although there probably isn't any study to substantiate this example, I'd like to think that if you took twins, trained them exactly the same in MMA, where for conditioning/strengthening purposes, you had one do only bodyweight exercises and one do bodyweight WITH weight training in the core exercises, the one who trains both will be stronger...especially for things like standing up in somebody's guard carrying their weight or slamming people...

I think the problem is when people become entirely too dogmatic about what you should and shouldn't do...they act as if there is only one way to get stronger or only one way to get more fit...we have a multitude of exercises, both bodyweight AND with conventional weights that provide various benefits with their respective weaknesses...it's just a matter of us educating ourselves, experimenting, and using a little empirical evidence to find out what will give us each maximum benefit...

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 2:53pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure if I would prefer to go without free weights at all. Though in theory one could do leg workouts with one's body weight, I'm not sure if I can find them a good replacement to squats, lunges with dumbells and deadlifts.

Upper body, however, that's another thing. One can train very well by just doing chin ups (wide grip and close grip) and push ups (one hand or two hands, hands on floor/knuckles/fingers and clasping/jumping push ups). That I can believe, but in my case, it's a matter of preference to use free weights as well.

There is one exercise that I don't think you can replace with body weight alternatives: squats with the barbell held in front of you (around your collar bone). It works your quads, your glutes and most of all, your abs and core like no other. This one exercise is my staple, and if I were forced to do only one, that would be the one I'd choose :)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 5:47pm

Style: VU TAH

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I suspect is that allot of this guys actually lift weight.
    It's for the sake of sales they claim that they don't.
    It's you would believe that a Bowflex models, that you see on infomercials. used only Bowflex to get into shape.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 6:02pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    I'm not sure if I would prefer to go without free weights at all. Though in theory one could do leg workouts with one's body weight, I'm not sure if I can find them a good replacement to squats, lunges with dumbells and deadlifts.
    Zoo Zitsu.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 6:22pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Upper body, however, that's another thing. One can train very well by just doing chin ups (wide grip and close grip) and push ups (one hand or two hands, hands on floor/knuckles/fingers and clasping/jumping push ups). That I can believe, but in my case, it's a matter of preference to use free weights as well.

There is one exercise that I don't think you can replace with body weight alternatives: squats with the barbell held in front of you (around your collar bone). It works your quads, your glutes and most of all, your abs and core like no other. This one exercise is my staple, and if I were forced to do only one, that would be the one I'd choose :)
    I'd do a clean, and when I'm pressed for time I can do a sequence that's better than all the burpees in the world with dumbells.

Pushup, Deadlift, Hang Clean, Squat, Push Press.

You can make it harder by lightening up a bit and doing

T Pushup both sides, Core Row, Power Clean From Floor, Push Press, Overhead Squat.

That's my time saver, but I'd rather do 4 sets 5 rep pick up drop sets of 4 major excercises than 1500 fucking reps of anything anyday. I can't even stand jogging. **** that. I'll increase my muscular endurance how I want. It's better this way, for me at least.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    Zoo Zitsu.
    No way dude. I found BJJ to be very challenging in the cardio area, and it certainly does train your legs and core for endurance, but not to the degree that daily front squats do, and certainly not for developing power... at least in my brief personal experience with BJJ.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Brock Sampson

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone who has done mostly bodyweight excersizes who recently decided to start lifting SERIOUSLY I can tell a big difference.

I am gaining weight. A lot of weight.

If you do bodyweight excersizes you will be getting a lot of muscular endurance. With weights you will get more strength, and consequently more endurance at those lower weight levels.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 5:35pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it's sort of different for me. I started off being strong, and now I'm doing BJJ.

You munchkins all make me giggle.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 6:01pm

Style: gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaChinkOfSteel
    Honestly, I prefer a more holistic approach to resistence training. I don't feel that bodyweight only exercises can provide brute strength that is sometimes necessary for grappling or MMA...although there probably isn't any study to substantiate this example, I'd like to think that if you took twins, trained them exactly the same in MMA, where for conditioning/strengthening purposes, you had one do only bodyweight exercises and one do bodyweight WITH weight training in the core exercises, the one who trains both will be stronger...especially for things like standing up in somebody's guard carrying their weight or slamming people...

I think the problem is when people become entirely too dogmatic about what you should and shouldn't do...they act as if there is only one way to get stronger or only one way to get more fit...we have a multitude of exercises, both bodyweight AND with conventional weights that provide various benefits with their respective weaknesses...it's just a matter of us educating ourselves, experimenting, and using a little empirical evidence to find out what will give us each maximum benefit...
    Dont forget that diet and how you feed your muscles has alot to do with how strong you'll be aswell.

... and what about these men who caan lift all that weight and yet can't do 50 pushups in a row?? let alone a couple of sets ... how do you make that out as effective muscle?? .. From my experience, Bwe gives you a better working rom than traditionally weights do but you're right.. It just depends on what your goal is.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast