Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 6:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ARAKAN

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha, well technically you DID walk into "my gym" i found a site saying arakan looks bogus. i came here to clear this up, or rather shed light. and i am here to counter your argument of "not wanting people to get hurt". i think the only thing manufactured is your sense of what is real and fake.

Getting back to your little MMA or watever, i am quite happy with myself so getting validation of "yeh im a better fighter than xyz" doesn't really appeal to me. besides, i take it that there would be rules and guide lines?? pretty sure they don't exist on the street. further more, wearing gloves would be a disadvantage to us. pretty sure you can't release the clean power through padded accesories.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 6:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why would he do that? they are instructors. i am sure i have mentioned that they don't do competition. there are reasons for that. although AGES ago a few "rouge" practitioners entered the UFC.

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 6:42pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, I only just saw this thread, so forgive my late entry.

I have encountered Arakan before, being on the gold coast. Back in around 2002, a friend of mine trained in the style for about a year. I encouraged him to come do some sessions with me, and to exchange ideas as I am genuinely interested in how other people do things.

My observations (based on doing padwork with my friend, and the little bit of sparring we did) were as follows:

(note: I refer to the martial art as Arakan, and the fellow posting here as ARAKAN)
    -------------------------
    The stances and techniques in Arakan are unorthodox. My friend, Pete, frequently adopted a ready stance that comprised of placing his rear hand on his chin in the thinking man's pose, and his forward hand touching the elbow - basically like this:

Many of the striking techniques revolve around hammer fists and knife hand strikes, swung with a whip-like motion from the core, thrown in quick succession. Individually, the strikes do create a fair amount of impact, but appeared awkward to me. Pete insisted that they were quite comfortable, however.

Very little live sparring is incorporated into the system, and the grappling techniques that Pete knew were mostly holds/locks that served as stall than actual submissions - like a single overhook while standing on a side angle to your opponent, and striking to the body with your free hand, for example.
    Other, non-style based observations:

Arakan players tend to stick together. They are generally very proud of their style, and consider other practitioners who are affiliated with them to be their friends. They generally consider themselves disciplined, and are encouraged to behave in a polite and respectful way when out in the community.

Introductory classes are free, but subsequent classes are rather expensive - I recall Pete telling me that they cost between $50-$90. I can't verify this, but I'm sure ARAKAN could correct me if I'm mistake. Things may have changed in the last five years.

Students appear to progress through the style fairly quickly, with those who do regular private lessons able to become trainers themselves within a year or two.

Private lessons are the recommended form of training in Arakan, and students are encouraged to take as many private sessions as they can.

Arakan students are encouraged to be proactive in marketing their style, and distribute promotional DVDs and so on to those who express interest. If ARAKAN doesn't have any promotional materials, I will ask around and see if I can obtain a disk, and upload the video here.
    I donít consider myself knowledgeable enough to render a judgement on the style itself, as I have only experienced it second hand, but my personal opinion is that the style was not right for me. I am not available to attend a class at this point, as I injured my rib being a grapple dummy for a judo player by the name of Yoshi during Scybermonkís visit to my gym, and frankly, am not comfortable at the thought of whipping my torso around throwing whip-like hammer-fists with my rib the way it feels at the moment.

ARAKAN Ė if you wanted to record some of your techniques, Iíd be more than happy to make myself available to you at the gym where I train Ė you could use me as a dummy and demonstrate the kind of things you do in your art, and post a video here to represent your case. The gym is called Fightboi, and itís just near Pacific Fair Shopping centre. I donít know if you are into live sparring, or grappling at all, but I could do some of that with you at a fairly laid back pace, if you wanted to. I donít know you, or your capabilities, but I have no intention whatsoever of getting into a brawl Ė especially in my current state.

Alternatively, since you may not feel itís necessary, if you post some sort of video, either of yourself or your colleagues demonstrating some techniques, or if you get one of the Arakan promotional DVDs and post the video clip of that up here, that should be enough to make your point.

Or, if you donít really care what the people on Bullshido have to say about your art, thatís fine too. Personally, it doesnít affect me either way.

Good luck with your training.
    Last edited by Deadmeat; 9/25/2007 6:47pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 6:52pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arakan
    why would he do that? they are instructors. i am sure i have mentioned that they don't do competition. there are reasons for that. although AGES ago a few "rouge" practitioners entered the UFC.
    Well, what are their names?
    Which UFCs.
    I mean that is a pretty boastful claim.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 6:55pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha, well technically you DID walk into "my gym" i found a site saying arakan looks bogus. i came here to clear this up, or rather shed light. and i am here to counter your argument of "not wanting people to get hurt". i think the only thing manufactured is your sense of what is real and fake.

Getting back to your little MMA or watever, i am quite happy with myself so getting validation of "yeh im a better fighter than xyz" doesn't really appeal to me. besides, i take it that there would be rules and guide lines?? pretty sure they don't exist on the street. further more, wearing gloves would be a disadvantage to us. pretty sure you can't release the clean power through padded accesories.
    There's nothing manufactured about my senses of anything. I've been training most of my life and seen quite a bit of horseshit. Happily trained a lot of horsehit too. I had to learn the hard way.

The rules vs no rules debate has already happened ad naseum. It doesn't impress me anymore. But I would like to suggest that if you never get to train you "deadly techniques" at all than how do you know they work? Because your instructor says so? That was fine back in the day when there was a lot of heirarchical (yeah I know I mispelled that. Sorry.) bullshit associated with the martial arts but those days are passed. And thats a blessing through and through. Now you should be encouraged to question everything. Logic would dictate that in order for a thing to be true it must be proven so. Thats not a new idea, but I can't tell you how harmful blind faith is.

But go with god, man. If you feel you get something out of it I encourage enjoying your life. I try to enjoy mine.

And I'll add just one more time: Please dabble in something else while you continue your study of arakan. Your teacher permits you to do that right?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 7:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeh i can train in watever i want to, but i choose not to at this point in my life.

JP, ever heard of the term innocent till proven guilty? prove im wrong with physical evidence and i'll except defeat. get one of the bullies down here and have a lesson. the instructor encourage it.

Deadmeat, thanks. you have probably explined it better than i could. Arakan has just release a new promo DVD, i have uploaded onto my computer i just gotta get the correct format happening. (it's still in its DVD format) As for your offer, thanks but i am pretty busy with work and training that i will find it hard to get some spare time. although there is a group class on in broadbeach very close to pac fair. you should call up and see if you can watch or join in. as for your ribs, saftey does come first so they will always take care of you.

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 7:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im not at the stage where i could fight another "martail artist" yet
    Then you see why we are so sceptical.

though i believe i could handle average joe in the street.
    Common misconception from those that train "for the street, not competition".

"Average Joe" doesn't like to fight.

"Billy Badass" likes to fight, is decently skilled at inflicting harm, and has practised doing so one more than one occasion.

that being said, if it came down to survival, i would do everything i could to win.
    Good. Start with picking a functional fighting style.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 7:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for the UFC claim, yup, sure is ballsy. And from what i understand he won it. there were also a couple of guys who thought they were tougher than they were but. However like i said, we are disadvantaged if we are wearing gloves.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 7:37pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeh i can train in watever i want to, but i choose not to at this point in my life.

JP, ever heard of the term innocent till proven guilty? prove im wrong with physical evidence and i'll except defeat. get one of the bullies down here and have a lesson. the instructor encourage it.

Deadmeat, thanks. you have probably explined it better than i could. Arakan has just release a new promo DVD, i have uploaded onto my computer i just gotta get the correct format happening. (it's still in its DVD format) As for your offer, thanks but i am pretty busy with work and training that i will find it hard to get some spare time. although there is a group class on in broadbeach very close to pac fair. you should call up and see if you can watch or join in. as for your ribs, saftey does come first so they will always take care of you.

The reason I ask is that its usually a further earmark of a bullshit system that they don't allow you to cross-train. The fact that your instructor doesn't have a problem with that is a good thing.

I can't get one of the "bullies" to do anything. Nor would I attempt to organize something like that. It often disolves into idiocy. (rarely the fault of the bullshido folks).

I have heard of innocent until proven guilty. Quaint concept. You ever actually see it exist in real life?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 7:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *sigh*

It's not competetion. i've only been doing it for a year. What i ment was, i wouldn't be able to beat a blackbelt watever. They say i would be about at blue or brown belt level atm. Any blackbelt who fight on the street just because should have his belt taken away. thats not cool. average joe, no worries.

"Billy badass" pft ok, yeh but he has had no martial arts training. i believe in myself that i would come out on top. unless he managed to knock me out in one hit from behind. We train for the worst case scenario. hit before you get hit. we are attackers not defenders.
    That being said i would always try to talk my way out of a conflict. I would only use arakan if i had to.

So i guess that clears up your point on functional.
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast