Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 152122232425 26 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2013 7:08pm

Style: Judo,JKD,Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I noticed a rant on their facebook page by one of the instructors who apparently, stopped an attemped break and enter at his home by simply twirling a pair of escrima sticks in front of the bad guys!

Some smart arse then asked what system of stick fighting they taught, then Pow! thread deleted.

LOL.

Posted On:
    9/30/2014 11:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, I've read this thread from start to finish and now have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Arakan is a newly fabricated form of martial arts. I have been training for a few months now and had an uneasy feeling about the whole thing since day 1. In fact, I believe Arakan to be some form of dodgy pyramid scam. Which also fits in well with being based on the Gold Coast which itself is the home of rip offs. They lure you in with an initial complimentary lesson and then your instructor progresively pressures you into attending seminars, functions, fitness tests and all other sorts of bullshit that gets more and more expensive. Over a period of 4 months my training has cost me almost $1500. At first I found the training to be unique and interesting and it was doing my fitness level wonders. However, as I met and dealt with more of the instructors and students, my levels of doubt increased. I decided to start learning a martial art for very genuine reasons ( I have a volatile and aggressive workplace neighbour who has assulted staff and visitors ) but know feel as though I have been blatantly ripped off and had my time ( which is extremely precious ) wasted. The private 1 on 1 lessons also involve reading over your training and fitness goals in a fashion that I could only describe as self affirmations to keep you paying for the lessons. That's my point of view on Arakan, I hope it helps. Oh....also if you want to fit in by purchasing one of their fancy shirts you'll need a further $59.

Posted On:
    10/02/2014 8:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This MA hurt my Family

My cousin, an inexperienced woman, told me of how she was invited by a friend to train at ARAKAN, which I thought was good, everybody should try a Martial Art, because its a hobby of mine, and it has changed my life for the better. This conversation made my stomach churn. She told me about ARAKAN, but she couldn't describe the style, and I thought that was odd, cause I am familiar with many. She told me the class comprised of groups, like family groups, who attended ARAKAN together. And I thought, alright, that is common, what else? In a "self defense" lesson, my cousin was THROWN onto CONCRETE, leaving her badly bruised; but because of lack of experience, she didn't know if that's just the way martial arts are; and I of course said NO! She then tried convincing her friend to leave the folds of ARAKAN, because something didn't seem right about that kind of Violence. But this friend made it seem like she was trapped by the expectations and the group mentality of her family toward ARAKAN, and she somehow could not leave.

The next day I looked it up, found the website, couldn't trace it anywhere, but somewhere in my head, I hoped that there was some misunderstanding, because Martial Arts are good. But Charlatans like ARAKAN make me sick.

Almost half a year on, I start looking into McDojos, and find this site, and ARAKAN up and running in the forums, and I thought I would tell my cousin's story.

Posted On:
    10/02/2014 8:22am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi SUCKER, thanks for your input. There's a great gym on the Gold Coast called Full Metal Jiu Jitsu, you should check it out. I'm in Brisbane, but my housemate goes down there to train with him regularly as they're close mates. Guaranteed better training, for a lot less than you paid and likely with better attitudes and skill level. And if you're ever in Brissie, let me know and you can see the gym I'm at.

Can you elaborate on why your "level of doubt increased"?
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    10/02/2014 2:47pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's also 5 Rings Dojo (who compete regularly in MMA), Southside MMA (rolled a few guys from here in Jiu Jitsu comps), Shindo new breed etc....

Whereabouts on the Goldie are you (roughly)? We can probably come up with a good short list of nearby places that will definitely help you work towards your goals much more effectively than that Arakan silliness.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    10/02/2014 5:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi battlefields. Yeah I guess at first I was a bit blinded by the fact that I had finally taken the plunge to learn a MA and was really enjoying the training. In saying that, I did feel a bit uneasy about the strikes I was being taught but decided to give it a proper go. I was was doing a private 1 on 1 lesson once a week at $66 an hour. This involved mainly technical work with some conditioning. I was soon encouraged to train more than once a week to speed up my training. So I signed up for group classes. I was pressured into doing an $80 fitness test, to be followed up with another one in a few months. My instuctor then wanted me to train with his 2nd degree senior instructor ( who by the way costs $110 an hour ). Luckily this I didn't do. Nor the seminar entittled "90 minutes with the master" ( also at a cost of $110 ). These guys have shitloads of instructors and they are constantly recruiting more. The instructors I met and dealt with seemed more like sales reps ( and pretty good ones at that ). The whole thing is definately a very clever and well marketed pyramid scam. All the students I met seemed desperate to belong to something special. That was my overall gut feeling and my feelings about people and situations have never been wrong in the past.

Hi Cualltaigh, thanks for your suggestions. I'm at the top end of the Gold Coast. I would certainly like to find a REAL MA to learn but am unsure which style to go with. My only goal is to learn how to defend myself. My fitness I take care of by myself.

Cheers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2014 5:46pm

Style: Judo, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi SUCKER,
    I live on the Goldie too, and have done the rounds checking various places out. As Culltaigh said, let us know where you are on the coast and what sort of training floats your boat, and we can probably help you out.

Posted On:
    10/02/2014 6:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well then I will have to give integrated a wrap as well. Rob just came up here for a session. Possibly one of the best instructors out there.

http://www.integratedsc.com.au

And we also did some knife fighting. If the reality bit is your thing.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    10/02/2014 11:18pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Well I for one firmly believe that the Sunny Coast is far superior to the Goldie, a 370km round trip might be a bit far for Sucker's training.

*Notwithstanding that Integrated is indeed an excellent gym.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    10/03/2014 12:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Well I for one firmly believe that the Sunny Coast is far superior to the Goldie, a 370km round trip might be a bit far for Sucker's training.

*Notwithstanding that Integrated is indeed an excellent gym.
    Yeah probably. Our coach does a Townsville training trip most weekends to train with ian bone and paul Cale.

So not outside the bounds of reality either.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 152122232425 26 LastLast