Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122 232425 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 12:37am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat View Post
    Update: Kerry has video of the Arakan stylist fighting in Spartan, but it's on VHS. Gotta get it ripped before I can upload it, which may take some time due to my schedule being hectic.

But it will get done.
    That's awesome, thanks deadmeat!

You or any of your guys keen to check out Arakan? They seem to be down your way/area? And I think you'd be pretty qualified, with your experience, to say what's going on :icon_sant.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 1:20am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey mate..

at this stage I can't really spare the time to go. If I have any time spare to attend a training session, I'd prefer to spend that time training at my club, and also being a (relatively) newlywed, it's a bit of a balancing act to ensure I get enough training time in as it is. I run a morning class 4 times a week, and train 3 nights (more if/when I can), so it's difficult, to say the least.

Earlier on in the thread I did post my experiences from having sparred with an Arakan practitioner though.

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 1:50am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey mate..

at this stage I can't really spare the time to go. If I have any time spare to attend a training session, I'd prefer to spend that time training at my club, and also being a (relatively) newlywed, it's a bit of a balancing act to ensure I get enough training time in as it is. I run a morning class 4 times a week, and train 3 nights (more if/when I can), so it's difficult, to say the least.

Earlier on in the thread I did post my experiences from having sparred with an Arakan practitioner though.
    Whoops! Somehow I missed that as I sped through the posts. Cheers for bringing it to my attention again!

Hmm, class prices seem really expensive at supposed 50-90$ a class! Ouch.

(Also, grats on newlywedness!)
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 9:37am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Rune" is the perfect name for a rough Norwegian guy who rocks up to an MMA fight without much training and smashes his enemy in the first minute.

Posted On:
    6/02/2010 6:53pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
    Whoops! Somehow I missed that as I sped through the posts. Cheers for bringing it to my attention again!

Hmm, class prices seem really expensive at supposed 50-90$ a class! Ouch.

(Also, grats on newlywedness!)
    No worries mate, and thanks :)

Quote Originally Posted by 02-6611-0142-1 View Post
    "Rune" is the perfect name for a rough Norwegian guy who rocks up to an MMA fight without much training and smashes his enemy in the first minute.
    haha

Brisbane but currently London for 2 years

Posted On:
    11/07/2010 6:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arakan has no history outside of Gold Coast and brisbane. It has NOTHING to do with Burma or the province of Arakan, it was created by a Burmese guy in Brisbane or the Gold Coast named Rob I think. I was told he trained kung fu (either wing chun or tong long) and a bit of BJJ a few years ago. He just decided one day to make some money from the martial arts so created the bullshit story about an art called Arakan from ancient Burma (nice, seeing he is Burmese so no one would ask questions). They teach mostly in parks and charge a lot for you get especially considering the lack of facilities and inexperience of the sifus. As usual no one bothers to check these things like their history but it is a 100% total and utter fabrication about being from Burma, Arakan, the art of the king's bodyguards and all that crap. I will give 100 quid if I am proved wrong.
    They are really arrogant about how Arakan has no rivals but like all these BS arts they never put it on the line against ANY other skilled martial arts in competition. The usual "We are made to kill" stuff. After talking to enough Arakan guys you just get really tired of the stupid attitude. On the other hand they do some nice stuff with kids, teaching them stranger danger sort of stuff. nothing is original but it is still okay. I just get worried that if the kids are also fed the bullshit line about the unbeatable art they will get hurt.

Because they are human and can train hard like anyone of course they can develop a level of skill which may work sometimes. The range of skills is very limited so they talk a lot about how they can do this or that or how it is better than anything else in the whole world blah blah blah. They use the Tong Long kind of pok-sau to the neck which is always good if you get it on the carotid sinus, claiming it is unbeatable, but it is very easy to deal with as most readers here will know. If it was that unbeatable, everyone would be using it. It always comes back to putting your money where your mouth is, so why is there no Arakan guy (or what the hell, half a dozen of them) in the UFC cage dishing out hell to Lesnar, Couture, Besping, Machida, GSP and others for as much as they get teaching girls in parks in a year. But they can't so their not, their still down the park at Broadbeach teaching girls how to hit pads for $60 an hour. Go figure.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    11/07/2010 9:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update: Kerry has video of the Arakan stylist fighting in Spartan, but it's on VHS. Gotta get it ripped before I can upload it, which may take some time due to my schedule being hectic.

But it will get done.
    where is this video, fucker

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 2:54am

Style: Kickboxing/BJJ/Wimp

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've just spent the past hour or so reading through this thread, and would love to see how it turns out.

Just checked out the Arakan website. Not too informative, gives you quite a few links on how to sign up for your first free lesson.

I just called their office (which I believe is in Brisbane), and talked to a guy named Jamie, who is their Marketing and Sales fellow. Was nice enough, and apparently has had experience in TKD (mentioned he basically blew out his knees because of it). He didn't really know much about it's history from what I could tell, but told me it is 2600 years old, and that it was brought here to Australia by the founder from Burma.

They have expanded out to Sydney now as well, and have classes "somewhere in the CBD". I gave my e-mail, and will be contacted shortly in regards to a free lesson.

Don't know if I'll actually check it out (I've only just started training recently in kickboxing/boxing), but it could be useful in regards to finding out more info.

This is their contacts page; http://www.arakan.com.au/contact-us.php

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 9:28am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    Came accross this website:

http://www.arakan.com.au/index.php

Interesting concept: A martial art from Northeastern Burma. There is in fact a state in Burma called Arakan. I can't find any other reference to a martial art from the region. I'm curious as to if y'all might know more.

The video clips and outfits look...let's say Kung Fu inspired. Any _ing _un folks care to comment?
    Currently reading "Forgotten Voices of Burma - Forgotten Conflict of WW2". The Chindits under Orde Wingate have just returned from the Arakan having begun the learning process of living in the Jungle and confronting the Japanese. Then the break out return to India before the second expedition into Burma.

no mention of a 2,660 year old martial art so far...some collaboration with the Japanese to trap the Brits but no actual fighting by the Arakan natives mentioned in the text.

Case Closed.

Posted On:
    12/21/2010 4:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know the origins of Arakan first hand - the style comes out of Brisbane and the story about Burma is just a front. Anyone training Arakan ask your founder about his very short time spent basic training of LWSS and you will find out the truth.