Posted On:
    4/04/2010 10:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Robert Kyaw fought and got KO'd!

Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    UFC is very well documented, that's kinda the point. Which UFC did they fight in (every event has a distinct identifier), and which one did the guy win? (I have never seen anyone who identified as an Arakan stylist compete in the UFC)

Or when you say UFC do you mean some random MMA promotion in Oz?
    Sorry for coming in late on this conversation.

Just though everyone would love to know that Robert Kyaw did have a MMA fight about 7 or 8 years ago from memory on either the first or second ever Spartan show on the Gold Coast, run by Kerry Dunne. Robert got himself in the paper and all claiming he would show the world how Arakan is the best style. He proceeded to get knocked out about 1 minute into the fight (after 30 seconds of running scared). The best bit is the bloke who beat him was a first timer who had only ever done a few months of training (and looked like it), he was just a tough and rough guy. After this Robert started his "we don't fight because we're too dangerous line"!

I'm desperate to find the video of the fight to put on You Tube, as Arakan people have been talking crap for years. I'm guessing Kerry Dunne still has one? Anyone else know of how to get hold of one?

Steve

Posted On:
    4/04/2010 11:03pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Post a request up on www.infinitemma.com, i think that is the biggest local mma discussion forum. If you get a copy of the fight please post it up here, I'd love to see it. Even a copy of that newspaper article would be great.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 9:41pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMuayThai View Post
    Sorry for coming in late on this conversation.

Just though everyone would love to know that Robert Kyaw did have a MMA fight about 7 or 8 years ago from memory on either the first or second ever Spartan show on the Gold Coast, run by Kerry Dunne. Robert got himself in the paper and all claiming he would show the world how Arakan is the best style. He proceeded to get knocked out about 1 minute into the fight (after 30 seconds of running scared). The best bit is the bloke who beat him was a first timer who had only ever done a few months of training (and looked like it), he was just a tough and rough guy. After this Robert started his "we don't fight because we're too dangerous line"!

I'm desperate to find the video of the fight to put on You Tube, as Arakan people have been talking crap for years. I'm guessing Kerry Dunne still has one? Anyone else know of how to get hold of one?

Steve
    Ahahahahahahha!

I was there. Kerry is my coach. The guy who fought him was named Rune, and he was a University student from Norway. Kezza spent like two months teaching him to cover, clinch, Bodylock to kosoto gari, and how to keep mount while punching. Rune later moved on, but I see kerry just about every day, so I'll ask him about it tonight.
    Last edited by Deadmeat; 5/17/2010 10:02pm at .

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 11:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wanted to add that I didn't remember that the guy Rune fought was an Arakan practitioner. It's a little bit funny in retrospect that I was trying to figure out what MMA circuit this "Rogue Arakan practitioner" fought in, when it was my instructor's show all along.

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 7:53am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I currently do Arakan, came across this thread by a google search.

Haven't had much exposure to martial arts in general, Arakan is my first, but I do have my doubts about it. I've been training since November last year twice a week, and whilst I've learned how to punch and transfer my weight, and learned some ok techniques, I still don't feel I'm able to defend myself if the situation needed it, because i dont have confidence that 90% of the techniques will work

So yeah, my opinion is very average of the art, ive been thinking of taking up jujitsu or ninjitsu instead.

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 7:22pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, wow. I just found this thread and read my way through it...I assume Sang never got to spar any of their guys or anything? Interesting! Damn my martial absence.

Storm, depending on what you want out of martial arts you need to find a school that will cater to your desire and wants. If you want to train realistically and be able to defend yourself, you need to find a school slash art that will do that. Boxing/Muay Thai/Judo/Wrasslin' will all do that. The training is tough but you'll learn quick. I'd say bail on the bullshit and train something that's real and effective.

Depending if you're on the coast or in Brisbane there's a few places you could check out. The gym I train at Advance Martial Arts (www.advancemartialarts.com.au) is in Brisbane and the Sunny coast. PUMMA (http://www.pumma.net/) and Shindo New Breed (http://www.shindomma.net/) are down gold coast area.

Arakan is completely Bullshido sounding and looks it in everyway. Manipulative, marketing speak, too d3adly, blah blah, looks like cultier Chun. Poop.

Edit: Hahha, lulz, Facebook group! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Southp...rt/24641090401
    Last edited by Mr.Miyagi; 5/20/2010 7:28pm at . Reason: FACEBOOK GROUP LULZ
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 7:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, holycrap...

Home invasion 'techniques': http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1090401&ref=mf (Super Crappling)

Legion vs Legion (?- I have no idea WHAT this is): http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1090401&ref=mf

Super crappling redux: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...id=24641090401

Found the address:
    Ferry Road Shopping Centre, Shop 4c 253 Ferry Rd, Southport, Australia, 4215

There is definitely some weird **** going on with this...looks MUCH bigger than I thought. And very much into the 'home invasion'-LARPing attack scenarios....

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 2:00am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was looking through the Arakan web site, and it looks like the 'History of Arakan' section isn't the history of their martial art style at all, just a history of the geographic region, so the 2666 BC Date isn't what they're claiming for their art (I hope). But I do feel a bit suspicious of any style that doesn't have much history or lineage information, and claims that it's a secret art never ever seen before.

I did go to one of their free introductory lessons a while back, and enjoyed it, but I wouldn't be qualified to say whether the style itself is any good or not. A friend of mine has done Arakan for a while and has found it useful a couple of times, but the lesson prices were too high for me, and I'm now shopping around for somewhere that doesn't charge quite as much.

Posted On:
    6/01/2010 1:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nahema View Post
    I was looking through the Arakan web site, and it looks like the 'History of Arakan' section isn't the history of their martial art style at all, just a history of the geographic region, so the 2666 BC Date isn't what they're claiming for their art (I hope). But I do feel a bit suspicious of any style that doesn't have much history or lineage information, and claims that it's a secret art never ever seen before.

I did go to one of their free introductory lessons a while back, and enjoyed it, but I wouldn't be qualified to say whether the style itself is any good or not. A friend of mine has done Arakan for a while and has found it useful a couple of times, but the lesson prices were too high for me, and I'm now shopping around for somewhere that doesn't charge quite as much.
    Would you be able to tell us how much they are charging?

Posted On:
    6/01/2010 6:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update: Kerry has video of the Arakan stylist fighting in Spartan, but it's on VHS. Gotta get it ripped before I can upload it, which may take some time due to my schedule being hectic.

But it will get done.