Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 7:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i checked the "sword pics" (not the vid) and are they swinging a japanese style bokken/wooden katana?? which a close grip??

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 7:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by arakan
    First off, it is a combat art. It is not a ring or competition based art. it is very fluid and adaptable. We generate our power through body mechanics and is not strenght orientated. It is also very effective at fighting groups of people. Now i must admit i have never used it on the street and im not some kind of egotistical jerk who thinks arakan is invincible.
    AHAHAHAhahahahahaAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahaha...

Quote Originally Posted by arakan
    Arakan was designed to kill people by hand. And in my 1 year of training, i have been taught moves that would do that easily. Like i said before, i don't think i am invincible and am not saying that Martail art X is better than martail art Y & Z. This is just what i know.
    Is that why your chief instructor uses a samurai sword in one of his sites promotional videos - http://www.arakan.com.au/video.php - can you explain that one? Whats that? Oh, its a 'burmese' samurai sword... riiiiiight.

'attack and defence ' - Wow theres totally a 'gay hands' fu in there as well...
    'multiple attackers' - HAHAha. Fucking crap.
    'training with multiple people' - ... Seriously? Thats your martial art? No sparring but all this deadly other training?

They've even created a series of kiddy and business plans.

I call Bullshido.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 8:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ARAKAN

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha ha ha I love this. Thought MA practitioners were supposed to be open minded. guess not. What i love the best though, is that here is someone who has been training in arakan and who can say for certain that they teach everything they have stated and you still find ways to screwtinize! ha ha ha!!

Ooh, wait, yes i can....

We fight hand to hand. thats what we do. However, for the more advanced (beyond my current level) they do weapons fighting. Hand vs knife, knive to knife, bo, sword not sure what else, like i said, it's beyond my current level. if you can't get the foundations down, how can you possibly learn how to fight with a weapon?

whats the matter? is the possiblilty of group fighting beyond you too?? ha ha lame.

As for the wrestling, interesting. I've never heard of it before.

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 8:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an open mind but not for rubbish.

So how much martial arts training have you done (arakan + others)? I've been a member of three terrible systems, all which said the kind of stuff your style talks about. They wasted my time and money and arakan is a waste of your time and money.

Martial arts like that are more like Live Action Role Playing (LARPing) than actual martial arts training.

My criticism of your instructors group fighting video is this: Its terrible. He could not beat one person in a fight, let alone 2 or 3. The premise that he can fight multiple attackers is ridiculous. Well, maybe he could beat up a group of teenage girls, if he was a bit more skilled.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 8:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arakan
    Ha ha ha I love this. Thought MA practitioners were supposed to be open minded. guess not. What i love the best though, is that here is someone who has been training in arakan and who can say for certain that they teach everything they have stated and you still find ways to screwtinize! ha ha ha!!

Ooh, wait, yes i can....

We fight hand to hand. thats what we do. However, for the more advanced (beyond my current level) they do weapons fighting. Hand vs knife, knive to knife, bo, sword not sure what else, like i said, it's beyond my current level. if you can't get the foundations down, how can you possibly learn how to fight with a weapon?

whats the matter? is the possiblilty of group fighting beyond you too?? ha ha lame.

As for the wrestling, interesting. I've never heard of it before.
    I seriously feel sorry for you . Good luck .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

poser

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 8:35pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The biggest criticism looks so far like it's more in regards to the style's origin than to the style itself. It looks way too much like Kung Fu for anyone's good, and is apparently very unsimilar to other Burmese styles.

Also, the self-defense claims are pretty big. It's one thing to practice a martial art as a hobby, but if you don't train realistically, there's really no way you'll be able to defend yourself in a real situation. It's just that simple.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 8:40pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like bad silat.....which, depending on your point of view, might be saying the same thing twice.

The sword play stuff looks very much like the use of the sword that I have seen bleed its way into Indonesia by way of Japan.

Nearly ALL of the power generation stuff I see in the videos is from the arms alone without the rest of the body coming along for the ride which makes for ineffective striking.

The blocking and counterstriking drills are odd, but mostly because nobody is striking with any real intention, you guys aren't trying to really hit each other and so you'r not training effective defence or offence.

If you didn't want your sacred cow to be slaughtered why the hell did you bring it here?
    Last edited by JP; 9/24/2007 8:46pm at . Reason: for coherency

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 8:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu/Yang, Yu Wang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you can't get the foundations down, how can you possibly learn how to fight with a weapon?
    If you can't spar one person, how are you going to fend off 3?

Can you provide some information on the origins of your style about 2500 years before the establishment of the Pyu city-states (the earliest recorded civilizations in the area)?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 9:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ARAKAN

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously you don't have an open mind. Otherwise you would accept the possibility of an unheard of martial art and someone who TRAINS in it telling you it's true. the videos don't do it justice. i kow that. watever.

well i don't require your symapthy. but thanks for the offer. Most people ARE often affraid of the unknown. i guess it's just one of those things ;)

Kwoww, im not sure about the history at all, im not really good at that kind of thing. I've tryed googling it but i get nothing. even on wikipedia. oh well. But we do train very realistic and intensley. i have bruises all up my forearm where i was covering up from bare knuckle hits before using a cover fololowed by a back fist.

Sometimes we use pads other times we don't. but i have often collapsed of fatigue after we do a drill. I just gave it everything i had and more.

I remember last night we did this drill where in a group of 3. 1 person doing the arakan and 2 people feeding. 1 feeder would hold up either focus mit and we had to reply with a back fist. the 2nd feeder would walk at our flank and threw a punch at us. we had to cover then reply with a back fist. if the 1st feeder held up a mit and we were to focused on the other person on the flank they hiot us also.

I could barley hold my hands up after about 50 reps, i was gunna collapse. all of a sudden i just felt this "im not giving up!" feeling pass over me. I switched on. and hit better than i had in the 50 reps before. it was an amazing feeling.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    9/24/2007 9:05pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously you don't have an open mind. Otherwise you would accept the possibility of an unheard of martial art and someone who TRAINS in it telling you it's true. the videos don't do it justice. i kow that. watever.

well i don't require your symapthy. but thanks for the offer. Most people ARE often affraid of the unknown. i guess it's just one of those things ;)

Kwoww, im not sure about the history at all, im not really good at that kind of thing. I've tryed googling it but i get nothing. even on wikipedia. oh well. But we do train very realistic and intensley. i have bruises all up my forearm where i was covering up from bare knuckle hits before using a cover fololowed by a back fist.

Sometimes we use pads other times we don't. but i have often collapsed of fatigue after we do a drill. I just gave it everything i had and more.

I remember last night we did this drill where in a group of 3. 1 person doing the arakan and 2 people feeding. 1 feeder would hold up either focus mit and we had to reply with a back fist. the 2nd feeder would walk at our flank and threw a punch at us. we had to cover then reply with a back fist. if the 1st feeder held up a mit and we were to focused on the other person on the flank they hiot us also.

I could barley hold my hands up after about 50 reps, i was gunna collapse. all of a sudden i just felt this "im not giving up!" feeling pass over me. I switched on. and hit better than i had in the 50 reps before. it was an amazing feeling.

I'm REALLY not trying to be an asshole here. Before you get all defensive and talk about "closed minds" you may want to remember that you brought this to an open forum. Full of people with a pretty clear bend towards skepticism. A lot of people here have been led down the primrose path of bullshit training and some were too smart to. Either way.

The feeling you're talking about, and the experience of bruising, fatigue, etc. Is hardly unique to the art you're talking about. I can guarantee that anybody who's trained hard has felt this.

I appreciate that you like what you do. I even support you doing it if you like it. But accept the fact that to me, this stuff looks invented from scratch. There's no shortage of impossible to prove or disprove arts in the world. I believe you have found yourself in one.
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast