Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 6:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ARAKAN

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang
    It is kind of like a free ticket to shovel **** for an hour. Sure it is not going to cost you any money but why the hell would you choose to do it? Just to quit your bitching i will go along for a free lesson next month. I am pretty concerned with this no-gym thing though, if i give one of the instructors a black eye when we spar in a park i could really end up in a bad position legally.

It is hardly calling you out by the way, we know you are full of ****, a troll and probably don't even train there. I will give this 'martial art' a fair trial though and will report back, i fully doubt there will be any degree of aliveness or sparring even if i ask for it. Now if you really want to prove your art consider this an e-challenge, i'll come to a venue of your choosing to spar next month.
    No troll, i train. not full of ****. you wont give the instructor a black eye. and if u doubt there will be any aliveness to it ur in for a very rude shock. looking forward to ur post after ur lesson!

Thanks Champ.

Posted On:
    3/27/2009 12:26am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but was there ever any outcome to this epic saga?

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 10:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    The pajamas look too damn Chinese for my taste. The traditional (and I know I'm using the term loosly) burmese clothing I've seen is a lot more like what they wear in Thailand.

Hell, I'm a translator, what do I know? Anyone with some firsthand knowledge care to comment?

Poking around a bit more, they site claims that Arakan is taught only on hte Gold Coast and in Brisbane. That sets off my Bullshidometer right there. Any down under members want to volunteer to go investigate?

I'm from the Gold Coast and mates with one of the instructors. I've never done a class but I've seen him in action a few times when I've been out. Seen him absolutely smash his way through bouncers 3 or 4 at once. Seen him take out 3 big maori boys that attacked him by himself without really getting hit. And those times I have seen him fight he used the moves and techniques that he teaches so maybe it's not as good as other styles but it can't be all bullshit.

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 10:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arakan View Post
    The instructors pride themselves on control, but like in every sport there are accidents.
    Yes the proof is in the pudding. Ignore the website, ignore the sales pitches and marketing **** and take that free lesson.

JP, you say that just because people get fuked up doesn't make it a tuff school.
    What makes it tough is that the students get up after falling off the horse, so to speak.

Fuk injury. If this was on the street, the attacker/s doesn't care if u break something. Fight through it. give it everything you got.

That's right. If you go to a martial arts class and you end up with a black eye that's too bad. We don't sue as quickly down here. If you asked nicely you might get a free band-aid.

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 10:30am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus1976 View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but was there ever any outcome to this epic saga?
    I had my hand operated on shortly after this and was out of training for 3 months, if we can find an Arakan for me to spar i'd be happy to do it after my fight on the 12th of September. If JP is still promising blowjobs i'll even go to a lesson.

Edit:
    A thought; maybe when we organize a Queensland Throwdown we can get Danos to invite his instructor friend along and have a friendly test of skills. That way there would be film too.
    Last edited by Sang; 8/26/2009 10:39am at .

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 10:51am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    If JP is still promising blowjobs i'll even go to a lesson.
    You should go check it out, but there's a statute of limitations on the blowjob offer, man. I mean, c'mon...

Note to self: Be careful what one offers to do on the internet.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 11:13am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dam, you sound just like my ex girlfriend!

While i think of it i'll add this thread to subscriptions so that I don't forget it exists when a future ARAKAN finds this thread 6 months later. Next month I'll organize an individual lesson just so people can get some closure on this thread.

For ARAKAN members:
    I'm calling baloney on the ARAKAN art and invite any of it's members or instructors to prove their martial art in a sparring match. The proviso is that it is conducted legally and under a realistic ruleset.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 6:36pm

Style: Legalese

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I observed an outdoor training session by an Arakan class several years ago. At that time, I had 5 years in Kung Fu. I trained in Muay Thai prior to that.

The training session was almost entirely padwork. It was pretty generic stuff: horizontal hammer-fist type strikes, palm strikes, and some trapping type work. The horizontal hammer-fist type strikes were not performed very well, but I think it was because the students themselves were not competent at it. They seemed to show the tenseness and inflexibility typical of the untrained or poorly trained. The palm strikes seemed a bit slappy at one extreme, and pushy at the other extreme; again, typical of those who are not competent at such strikes. Their footwork was less stable than what I've seen from Southern Praying Mantis or Wing Chun Kung Fu, although the instructor seemed quite fluid and solid. The trapping and sensitivity work seemed not as good as Southern Praying Mantis or Wing Chun.

That's pretty much all I can say. My memory of that class is not crystal clear, but I was underwhelmed by their technique and power. However, even if the history is BS, the art itself seems technically sound. I was probably observing a novice class, judging by the clumsiness of the students. Unfortunately, the instructor didn't do much practical demonstrations.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 12:15am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    For ARAKAN members:
    I'm calling baloney on the ARAKAN art and invite any of it's members or instructors to prove their martial art in a sparring match. The proviso is that it is conducted legally and under a realistic ruleset.
    Good luck with that. But I have my doubts they'd agree to a friendly sparring match. Most likely your tongue and fingers will get more of a workout dealing with these people that your fists and feet will.

And I just realized how incredibly fucking dirty that last sentence would sound out of context...

Um. Bye now.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2009 3:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ / Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No idea if its legit or not, but was at an expo a few years ago at a booth across from these guys. One of the instructors just slapped a training dummy regularly for about 3 hours. That was enough to turn me off it for life.
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81415161718 19202122 ... LastLast