Our Sponsors:

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71314151617 18192021 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 12:21pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would probably be without video since i really doubt i could get a friend to waste his time coming along and the instructors would no doubt be offended/say no if someone asked to video tape them.

Basically my plan of attack is to go along to one of their lessons as any other student and to do a general 'dojo' review seeing if they actually spar, train with aliveness or hit pads. I doubt they do so i'll bring along two sets of sparring gear and stay behind at the end and politely ask their head instructor if he will spar me. If their instructors can't mop the floor with a low-amatuer level MT fighter then that will go in the report (judging by their pictures they are still young so risk of injury should be low).

Any idea what their address is in Brisbane/training hours? This is pretty much the most important part of a MA website but i can't seem to find it.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 12:56pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang
    It would probably be without video since i really doubt i could get a friend to waste his time coming along and the instructors would no doubt be offended/say no if someone asked to video tape them.

Basically my plan of attack is to go along to one of their lessons as any other student and to do a general 'dojo' review seeing if they actually spar, train with aliveness or hit pads. I doubt they do so i'll bring along two sets of sparring gear and stay behind at the end and politely ask their head instructor if he will spar me. If their instructors can't mop the floor with a low-amatuer level MT fighter then that will go in the report (judging by their pictures they are still young so risk of injury should be low).

Any idea what their address is in Brisbane/training hours? This is pretty much the most important part of a MA website but i can't seem to find it.
    Tengu seems to know where to find their offices. But I gather they train in the park.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 1:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice little revenue raiser then, $50+ a lesson with no expenses. I'll give them a call after my fight next month to get some details. If i do this you owe me an afternoon though, this is like being dragged to a chick flick by a girlfriend without the complimentary blowjob.

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 1:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice little revenue raiser then, $50+ a lesson with no expenses. I'll give them a call after my fight next month to get some details. If i do this you owe me an afternoon though, this is like being dragged to a chick flick by a girlfriend without the complimentary blowjob.

Dude. Then don't go. I'm not gonna blow you for this. :new_321:
    and listen to others,

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 4:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Word from them is you get a FREE 1hour lesson (to the value of $66 - how could you pass this opportuinty up?)
    Me? I live a drive away and its tough finding time between work, family and my own training - especially for something that doesnt mean much to me.

I got details, but wont give them out over the net, even tho its on their website, which I also wont bandy about, as their marketing machine seems in overdrive already and I wouldnt want to put pressure on their sales team. (I dunno if I can respond to PM's yet)

JP, thanks - I appreciate you had a knee jerk response
    I know the BJK has some serious issues, but where I train actively encourages cross training, we hit hard and train hard (learn to take a hit properly, bruises are commonplace, and learn to hit in a correct manner, placement, body movement) also including what I have seen called "pressure testing" and it all depends on a students level of skill and willingness to have a go. We often discuss (and train) the "traditional vs street" validity of techniques. The class has some "fighters" and some people who just train cause they like to, and many have done other arts previously. The dojo I am with is in south Brisbane.

Arakan,
    many of the instructors have lots of ancient burmese tattoos
    so?

One student got his knee dislocated through a kick, another shattered his elbow, one got knocked out
    who pays the insurance on these?
    personally, if these kind of injuries are happening, I think it refelects that the instructors have little control, or awareness of their students' ability or the students have little skill. If your training at the right level of intensity for your skill (and the quality of the art) then these injuries shouldnt be happening

At the end of the day, im not going to give video evidence or photos to PROVE this is not a BS art.
    The videos available on the website are more than enough example in my opinion

I also no longer feel the need to prove it.
    The proof is in the putting - whatever art you train in - hope that the day you need it isnt the day it fails you

peace

Tengu

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 7:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TenguMoon
    JP, thanks - I appreciate you had a knee jerk response
    I know the BJK has some serious issues, but where I train actively encourages cross training, we hit hard and train hard (learn to take a hit properly, bruises are commonplace, and learn to hit in a correct manner, placement, body movement) also including what I have seen called "pressure testing" and it all depends on a students level of skill and willingness to have a go. We often discuss (and train) the "traditional vs street" validity of techniques. The class has some "fighters" and some people who just train cause they like to, and many have done other arts previously. The dojo I am with is in south Brisbane.
    You're one of the lucky, and I think, few. I trained at New York Budo for over a year and I think was about to test for brown belt or something. I don't remember too clearly.

Anyway, we used to **** around after class and spar and beat the crap out of each other until one day the secretary came out and told us to stop or we were going to scare the other students.

The secretary. The wannabe model who did not train. I left after that.

who pays the insurance on these?
    personally, if these kind of injuries are happening, I think it refelects that the instructors have little control, or awareness of their students' ability or the students have little skill. If your training at the right level of intensity for your skill (and the quality of the art) then these injuries shouldnt be happening
    I thought the same thing. I mean, even at your average MMA gym injury is a common enough thing that nobody panics, but broken bones? Really? I mean a bloody or broken nose, sure. A tweaked joint? Very likely. And this skyrockets during preperation for a fight.

But getting a leg busted from a kick is a bit much. Your instructor should have better control over things.

Arakan, training in a place where people regularly get fucked up does not make it a tough school. It makes for small classes while people heal.

The videos available on the website are more than enough example in my opinion
    I just went back and watched those....

Sang, don't bother. You're just gonna feel dirty and frustrated. If you're gonna feel dirty and frustrated there really ought to be pretty girls involved, don't you think?

I'm going to stop talking now. Tengu, hope you stick around and welcome.
    Last edited by JP; 8/13/2008 7:59pm at .
    and listen to others,

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 3:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ARAKAN

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The instructors pride themselves on control, but like in every sport there are accidents.
    Yes the proof is in the pudding. Ignore the website, ignore the sales pitches and marketing **** and take that free lesson.

JP, you say that just because people get fuked up doesn't make it a tuff school.
    What makes it tough is that the students get up after falling off the horse, so to speak.

Fuk injury. If this was on the street, the attacker/s doesn't care if u break something. Fight through it. give it everything you got.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 3:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP

Sang, don't bother. You're just gonna feel dirty and frustrated. If you're gonna feel dirty and frustrated there really ought to be pretty girls involved, don't you think?
    Woah, woah, DUDE!

Here i am making all these "claims" about how awesome Arakan Martial art is, and YOU have done nothing but bitch and flame me the intire time. Now comes the time where there is TWO people (relativly local) saying they should check it out. to call me or Arakan MA out, and you are encouraging them not to do it?

WTF man.

UNBELIEVABLE

What are you affraid of?

And don't post back saying something silly like "Oh im trying to save them their time bla bla." BS

Free Lesson. It's here.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 5:23am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hey mate,

we don't have a dojo, the instructors will come to you, with in reason.

They teach from 6am - 10pm monday - saturday. (obviously they have breaks during the day and they also have their own training to do.) So time isn't really an issue. What ever suits you best.

Group classes are rated level 1-4.

All beginners to arakan bust attend level 1 class for 1 moduel (8 weeks) and they do basic basic work. They have only just introduced this class so i have no idea about the specifics. Then when you prove yourself, you have a trial for the next level up. If you don't, back to the previuos class for anothe module.

OBVIOUSLY you don't have that kind of commitment on your hands, so the free 1hr intro lesson, that is 1-1, will be more than enough to answer any of your questions and get a real feel for what Arakan MA is all about. And also you'll get taught a few techniques that you can use.

Cheers bud.

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 5:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is kind of like a free ticket to shovel **** for an hour. Sure it is not going to cost you any money but why the hell would you choose to do it? Just to quit your bitching i will go along for a free lesson next month. I am pretty concerned with this no-gym thing though, if i give one of the instructors a black eye when we spar in a park i could really end up in a bad position legally.

It is hardly calling you out by the way, we know you are full of ****, a troll and probably don't even train there. I will give this 'martial art' a fair trial though and will report back, i fully doubt there will be any degree of aliveness or sparring even if i ask for it. Now this on the other hand IS calling you out: consider this an e-challenge, I have trained MT less time than you have suposedly trained your MA so lets spar and have you show your worth. I'll come to a venue of your choosing next month to spar you with minimal padding (negotiatable), your choice of whether we include groundwork and to be filmed by a 3rd party. My last condition is that at the end of it there are no hard feelings and we go get a nice cold beer :).
    Last edited by Sang; 8/14/2008 6:13am at .
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71314151617 18192021 ... LastLast