Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Mike Gray

Style
    Japanese Ju Jitsu BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mike Gray

Hi, I'm hoping people can give me some advice. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

There is a club 360 in Romsey. Run by Mike Gray. I have heard conflicting advice concerning Mike Gray but I can't find any information on him. I have been told by two people that he always claims to be a higher grade than he is in BJJ and to stay away from him. I have also been told he has photos to prove his grade? It looks like he is teaching BJJ affiliated to Globetrotters who look to be great. Is this right? Is this a way of being able to teach BJJ without being under an instructor and to be graded? I ask on here as there is no point asking him direct if he is a fraud as he will only lie. Frauds aren't known to tell the truth. I don't want to waste time training with him only to find out my time on the matts with him does not count. Would you send your kids to him?

360 SPORTS ACADEMY jkdalicenter.com

Thanks in advance

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

For the record, the correct site is http://www.jkdkalicenter.com/

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmma View Post
    Hi, I'm hoping people can give me some advice. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

There is a club 360 in Romsey. Run by Mike Gray. I have heard conflicting advice concerning Mike Gray but I can't find any information on him. I have been told by two people that he always claims to be a higher grade than he is in BJJ and to stay away from him. I have also been told he has photos to prove his grade? It looks like he is teaching BJJ affiliated to Globetrotters who look to be great. Is this right? Is this a way of being able to teach BJJ without being under an instructor and to be graded? I ask on here as there is no point asking him direct if he is a fraud as he will only lie. Frauds aren't known to tell the truth. I don't want to waste time training with him only to find out my time on the matts with him does not count. Would you send your kids to him?

360 SPORTS ACADEMY jkdalicenter.com

Thanks in advance
    I can't find where they are claiming to teach bjj, only -Ju-Jitsu. So it seems no they can't give Bjj rank.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neither Mike Gray nor Globetrotters shows up on the IBBJF list of black belts. I find that interesting, since Globetrotters' website has IBJJF logo prominently displayed. Perhaps I'm missing something?

http://www.bjjglobetrotters.com/

Jmma, can you provide a source for the Globetrotter/Mike Gray affiliation?

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I can't find where they are claiming to teach bjj, only -Ju-Jitsu. So it seems no they can't give Bjj rank.
    Its here http://www.jkdkalicenter.com/brazilian-jiu-jitsu-mma/
    If you click on Tenkai Ryu jujitsu you get taken to the above link.
    Also for students who would like to have a go at the very popular grappling scene out there we also compete in the following SUBMISSION GRAPPLING, NO-GI, SPORT JU-JITSU, JUDO & BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU -(IBJJF RULES)
    So they don't claim a Rank in it, I wonder how well they actually fair in said grappling tournaments?
    However it seems that they are certainly trying to mislead people into believing they are learning BJJ.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you are keen to compete we will give you all the help and encouragement possible….we actively compete in THAI BOXING, FULL CONTACT STICK FIGHTING & KICK BOXING. Also for students who would like to have a go at the very popular grappling scene out there we also compete in the following SUBMISSION GRAPPLING, NO-GI, SPORT JU-JITSU, JUDO & BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU -(IBJJF RULES)
    Soooo... yeah ....They claim to compete in bjj but not hold rank.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Neither Mike Gray nor Globetrotters shows up on the IBBJF list of black belts. I find that interesting, since Globetrotters' website has IBJJF logo prominently displayed. Perhaps I'm missing something?

http://www.bjjglobetrotters.com/

Jmma, can you provide a source for the Globetrotter/Mike Gray affiliation?
    globe trotters are a ibjjf approved team. he leaves himself off the black belt list because he doesn't want seem like he's giving away rank, but if you are a legit blackbelt he says he will get you ranked after review.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Soooo... yeah ....They claim to compete in bjj but not hold rank.
    At least not online, who knows how they spin it in person.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    At least not online, who knows how they spin it in person.
    There is a place by almost the same name near where I live. when I googled the name it came up. I was gonna go there and check it out, but England is a bit far for me to go thrash an alleged fraud.

Style
    Japanese Ju Jitsu BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi all. Wow lots of replies. I've not had a chance to read through all properly but not looking good so far....

I have to say reading it I got the impression he was a graded instructor and that by competing I could be graded and ratified by Globetrotters. It says in their site they do gradings - and they can put you in touch with instructors who can assess you. It's a bit confusing as that's not how I thought BJJ did things. I thought you had to have one team? But looking at that site it does say to me that BJJ is on offer and is legit as its part of Globetrotters. I don't actually know if I want to compete so thought I'd have to add up Matt time and be assessed by someone. I suffer anxiety so not sure I could compete...

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the Southampton/Winchester area please?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last