I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 1:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Which is sillier _ing_un or Aikido

Ok so after being on this site for a couple months now I am curious as to which is the sillier martial art, Aikido or _ing_un. So I have done a scientific (and by scientific I mean lazy half assed) study to break them both down and see which indeed is the sillier of the two.

Let me just say Iím not looking at t3h deadly Aikido (like Jason Delucaís combat) or the Real _ing_un but the typical stuff you can find all over North America.

Also while I have 4 years under my belt as an Aikido bunny I have only 45 minutes of any kung fu training and am basing all my _ing_un analysis on video an conjecture, so take it for what itís worth and feel free to chime in.

So letís start:

Punching:

_ing_un has the chain punch or Chi Sao, from everything I have seen these are punches designed to land five inches from your target with no power, thus making it easy for people to slap away thus proving how amazing they are.

Aikido has the highly telegraphed over exaggerated step through the guy, or massive haymaker seen from a mile away punch, however when I trained Aikido at the higher levels you throw the punch with full power aiming to connect (telegraphed so they know which punch is coming) and that if the person didnít block it they would at least get hit hard and you were therefore looking to make contact and not hit their imaginary chi field 5 inches in front of them.

Conclusion: _ing_un punching is sillier than Aikdo punching. _ing_un gets one silly point

Kicking

_ing_un does seem to have kicks that are aimed at actually hitting the person and sweeping their feet and knocking them down

Aikido has the unique Aikido front thrust ďdonít actually try and hit meĒ kick and no other type that I have seen. The only goal in kicking in Aikido is so that the other guy can slap your foot down and then close line you (step and throw technique) This is a great way to teach Aikdoka to block kicks with open hands thus smashing their own fingers from real kicks.

Conclusion: Aikido kicking techniques are sillier than _ing_unís, One silly point for Aikido

Throwís

_ing_un throws seem to depend a lot on people being knocked out by their deadly elbow strikes to the spine or one punch knock out techniques

Aikido is a great martial art for throwing people who might suddenly rush at you and try to violently shake your hand and then throw themselves through the air.

Conclusion: They are equally silly. One silly point each.

Take down defence

Aikido is based on Aki Jiu-Jitsu and at itís core has the right idea regarding defending takedowns, unfortunately they donít train it with resistance against competent grapplers and 90% canít make it work.

_ing_un has the anti-grapple, enough said about that.

Conclusion: They booth suck but the anti-grapple is stupider and therefore _ing_un receives one silly point. Yes I know there are many _ing_uners who reject the anti-grapple idea, but others are putting out videos promoting anti-grappling the silly point stickí!

Ground fighting

_ing_un has some weird ideaís about eye gouges and groin pulls put they also do some kicks and strikes, which may/ kind of work against epileptic unfit people.

Aikido does many techniques from kneeling, most of them dealing with people who want to grab your wrists so you donít draw one of your two swords, come up behind you to massage your neck or deliver the deadly non-contact Aikido thrust kick.

Conclusion: Sorry but even though Aikido has itís roots in Jiu-Jitsu and should know better the ground techniques are just plain silly. _ing_un at least makes an attempt to deal with somewhat realistic attacks on the ground (although in a stupid way). One silly point for Aikido

Uniforms

_ing_un has the flared track pants and sneaker combo which looks like they are disciples waiting for the Hale-Bop commit to come and get them.

Aikido has the Hakama, Kiltís look more manly than these, and the only reason people wear them is because the make a cool woohing noise when you throw yourself through the air after trying to shake your senseiís hand. Yes I know dear Aikido bunnyís that the point of the Hakama is to hide your foot movements but come on really itís all about the woosh!

Conclusion: One silly point for Aikido

Insane worship of your founder

Aikido: The Ueshiba / OíSensei thing is a little nuts. He did try and turn Aikido into some sort of spiritual path instead of a martial art and itís kind of creepy.

_ing_un: Lineage wars are so bizarrely dumb what can I say but quote and _ing_uner

ďVing Tsun Lineage - The true test of a martial arts school, especially a Kung Fu school is their lineage. Lineage is important because it give the opportunity to tell the history of the school through their Sifu's. It helps to give and establish authentisity to their system. In Kung Fu, it helps us to make our ties back to the Shaolin Temple. Look, check, research and enjoy the thick and rich history of Ving Tsun Kung FuĒ
    http://www.moyyatrichmond.com/page3.html

Umm no. The true test of a martial art school is does your stuff work against non -compliant people. It doesnít matter if Jesus Christ taught it to your ancestors. If your **** sucks then it sucks. Less time worrying about lineage and more time on actual practice would help

Conclusion: One silly point for _ing_un.

Sparring / Randori

_ing_un emphasis that hitting without strength and that speed and accuracy are more important. The Chi Sao or whatever they call their sparring type practice involves being slapped at blinding speed, which could cause some nasty marks and even a bruise over time.

Aikido has the deadly fist joust, but if you donít throw yourself properly you mighty hurt yourself

Conclusion: Neither one deals with realistic resistant attack and both are equally silly. One point each.

UFC / MMA test

Aikido has Jason Deluca and Carlos Newton who has studied it somewhat http://mixedmartialartsexpo.com/popups/page14.htm Newton also studied Kung Fu and Tai Chi so I am iffy as to how applicable he is but for now I am grouping him into Aikido.

_ing_un: While I can find some examples of JKD I donít consider this to be _ing_un and I canít find any well known MMA fighters with an _ing_un background. Feel free to correct me anyone.

Conclusion: One silly point for _ing_un (although just barely over Aikido)

So far thatís 6 silly point for _ing_un and 5 silly points for Aikido.

So right now _ing_un is one point sillier than Aikido.

If there are any other criteria please fell free to add.

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 1:53pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not like Jason Delucia or Carlos Newton use their Aikido in a fight...

Jason refers to himself as a Kung Fu guy and Carlos refers to himself as a Jujitsu guy.

Personally I feel Aikido is slightly sillier.

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 1:56pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    It's not like Jason Delucia or Carlos Newton use their Aikido in a fight...

Jason refers to himself as a Kung Fu guy and Carlos refers to himself as a Jujitsu guy.

Personally I feel Aikido is slightly sillier.
    I understand that but I can't find any MMA fighter of some note who even references _ing_un it in their Bio.

Although I didn't look all that hard

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 2:03pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent, here's another one:

The dreaded Chi/Ki blast

Aikido gets a silly point due to the sheer number of self promoted grandmasters teching the stuff, and the Ki Aikido Society.

Not sure about _ing _chun, anyone?

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... wait a minute, some __ng __un people wear silk PJs. Maybe this line item is a wash.

:smile:

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 2:07pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I going to go with Wing Chun, simply becuase Aikido at least is based on a real Martial Art.

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 2:08pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleMeister
    Excellent, here's another one:

The dreaded Chi/Ki blast

Aikido gets a silly point due to the sheer number of self promoted grandmasters teching the stuff, and the Ki Aikido Society.

Not sure about _ing _chun, anyone?
    _Ing_Un has the Dim Mak knock out so I say they are both equally silly in that regards.

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 2:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    ... wait a minute, some __ng __un people wear silk PJs. Maybe this line item is a wash.

:smile:
    You can always wear your silk PJ's as PJ's so there is some practical value. The Hakama has none, so Aikido still get's the silly point

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 2:17pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which is sillier wc or aikido?

Oh, you are trying to trick us! This is a very little-known zen koan, similar to "what is the sound of one hand clapping?" While the very question seems absurd, since both wc and aikido are Monty Python-esque in their silliness, and there would appear to be no way to really answer it. A solution can be found but not from intellect nor can it be given to you or explained -- a person can only find the answer, and really appreciate the silliness, through direct experience on the mat, followed by a period of intense introspection (often accompanied by laughter) and analysis. Only is this way can the question be answered and one become enlighted.
    Last edited by whybother; 2/24/2006 2:21pm at . Reason: to corerect drug-induced typos

Posted On:
    2/24/2006 2:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by whybother
    Which is sillier wc or aikido?

Oh, you are trying to trick us! This is a very little-known zen koan, similar to "what is the sound of one hand clapping?" While the very question seems absurd, since both wc and aikido are Monty Python-esque in their silliness, and there would appear to be no way to really asnwer it. A solution can be found but not from intellect nor can it be given to you or explained -- a person can only find the answer, and really appreciate the silliness, through direct experience on the mat, followed by an period of intense introspection (often accompanied by laughter) and analysis. Only is this way can the question be answered and one become enlighted.
    Smart Ass!!! I am an empiricist and believe silliness can be scientifically measured.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast