Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 8:25pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My instructor is a brown belt, that makes him fully qualified to teach. I've heard that a Brown belt and a Black belt are pretty close in skill, but the black belt has done something more to earn it like teaching for a long time or competing a lot.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 8:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like the testing (even for blue) is done by Roy Harris.
    Should be really technical and great instruction.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 9:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll probably head there this Friday as I have the day off from work and check it out in person! Thanks again for all the helpful information....I would normally be concerned with the lack of competitions won, etc., but at least in the field of BJJ, it is probably pretty limited (in that there are really only two or 3 schools in all of Calgary which has close to a million people)...for Muay Thai I would probably rather attend Mike Miles' school (in that they are a champion factory, with people like Trevor Smandytch, et al), but this school makes it convenient in that they have MT, BJJ, Judo AND Wrestling!

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 9:14pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brian Bird is the coach for Nick Ring. Nick has been signed by Pride. I have seen Nick fight MMA and MT and that boy can fight!

Brian is a very good coach. There are a few posters I have noticed mention they are in Alberta, maybe they will come on and give their opinions.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 9:17pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Majin,

BJJ in Calgary has lots of options. There are two Black Belts (hey Duck they both have their certificates and cards, imagine that!) there is also a brown belt and a few blues and purples kicking around.

The two black belts are Josh Russel (Gracie Barra) and Anderson Consalves (sorry if I misspelt that) they're both amazing fighters and professors. The Brown belt in question is Brian Bird and Brian is a Roy Harris associate and besides being a great teacher is a seriously cool guy. Plus Professor Harris is out very regularily for testing and seminars.

The other BJJ guys are all very top notch and tied in with teams. In addition there are a few Japanese JJ players and one or two guys who can tie themselves back to Therien.

Canuckles is Max Marin, and he's a great guy. Lots of heart and lots of depth in his school. Adam LaPorte also teaches in the area if you where looking for something less BJJ orientated. Plus I think Anderson teaches at Canuckles as well so you're getting BJJ BB teaching there!

If you have any questions, ask away!

TKD

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 12:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brian and Sheila are good people with solid skills. You won't go wrong training with them.

I have competed against many from their school - quality grapplers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 9:36pm

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've trained with a BJJ brown and even with two + years of judo & 1 semester of wresting, he toyed with me. AND I learned A LOT.

I agree, go for it, if they are legit.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 9:44pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once you've trained, the words "ONLY a BJJ brown belt" will seem even funnier than they do now.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 11:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL, I know I'll be eating those words! Hopefully going in to check out the school tomorrow, probably won't be starting till after I come back from Vegas so will be getting my ass kicked probably around the end of april!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2006 12:21am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Actually it looks great. My ONLY criticism is the lack of competition record titles listed held by the instructors. I want that **** listed out. Know what I am saying? Placing 2nd at the local highschool tournament twice isn't gonna cut it. If you have some major competition wins then you list them. And the only reason I say that is I am spoiled fucking rotten.
    My instructor has two first place finishes at the Pan Ams and a bronze from the Mundials but it isn't listed on his website. SHOULD I BE CONCERNED?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast