Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 6:19pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Should I be worried about my soon-to-be BJJ school?

Wow, my first post on Bullshido, feel free to exploit my n00bness (though I've been lurking for months but registered pretty recently)....

I am really wanting to get back in the swing of things now that my work life and personal life have all stabilized, but where I am (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) there isn't a whole lot in the way of BJJ schools....there is Canuckles, a school that trains MMA fighters that a coworker fights out of, but its quite far from me. What is closer is a school that trains BJJ, Muay Thai and Judo *but* I am quite concerned that the BJJ instructors are only brown belts...

Should I be concerned? I am going to check out the school and hopefully they will allow me to sit in on some classes to make sure its all legit...

Oh and I must thank everyone on this site for helping me avoid possibly the worst decision in my life (and that would be learning Bujinkan ninjitsu from the 3rd Dan ninjer "Shidoshi" at my old workplace)....

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 6:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doood. That bjj brownbelt could probably tap you and eveyone you know - at the same time. Enjoy your training.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 6:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome! I can't wait!! Thanks!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 6:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any legit BJJ brown is a very highly skilled grappler with probably close to a decade of training ... more than enough to school you for a long, long time.

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 7:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G8
    Any legit BJJ brown is a very highly skilled grappler with probably close to a decade of training ... more than enough to school you for a long, long time.
    Not only that but they consider (iirc) purple belts to be at a level that qualifies them to teach. Their rating system may just be unfamiliar to a lot of people who are familiar with styles that use black belts as the bar for instruction.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 7:06pm

Style: ex-Judo starting bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, BJJ, Muay Thai and Judo is my dream combination... lucky :P

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 7:10pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Name of instructors would help immensely.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 7:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The instructors are Brian and Shiela Bird, and Richard Martens.
    http://www.bdbma.com/talon_instructors.htm

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ - Wrestling - Judo - Muay Thai.

Actually it looks great. My ONLY criticism is the lack of competition record titles listed held by the instructors. I want that **** listed out. Know what I am saying? Placing 2nd at the local highschool tournament twice isn't gonna cut it. If you have some major competition wins then you list them. And the only reason I say that is I am spoiled fucking rotten.

It looks like a great facility though. Go there today. Ask for a free class. Or better yet - ask for a free class in each of the disciplines.

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 7:53pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MajinFajita
    Wow, my first post on Bullshido, feel free to exploit my n00bness (though I've been lurking for months but registered pretty recently)....

I am really wanting to get back in the swing of things now that my work life and personal life have all stabilized, but where I am (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) there isn't a whole lot in the way of BJJ schools....there is Canuckles, a school that trains MMA fighters that a coworker fights out of, but its quite far from me. What is closer is a school that trains BJJ, Muay Thai and Judo *but* I am quite concerned that the BJJ instructors are only brown belts...

Should I be concerned? I am going to check out the school and hopefully they will allow me to sit in on some classes to make sure its all legit...

Oh and I must thank everyone on this site for helping me avoid possibly the worst decision in my life (and that would be learning Bujinkan ninjitsu from the 3rd Dan ninjer "Shidoshi" at my old workplace)....
    Yeah brown belt is pretty high up in BJJ.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast