Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 7:20am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rodney King???

Has anyone here ever heard about Rodney King. He comes from here (South Africa... and no I am no black) and apparently he is brilliant and his system is amazing, I think he may be known internationally.

Check this link the 'articles' section is pretty interesting

http://www.mymalife.com

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 7:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is or was a straight blast affiliate. Train with him if you can.

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 7:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mystsa
    ... He comes from here (South Africa... and no I am no black)
    Is it some kind of disclaimer?, who the **** cares about your skin colour?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 8:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Is it some kind of disclaimer?, who the **** cares about your skin colour?"

No!!! People on the net just tend to be ignorant about South Africa (especially Yanks) and dont realize that it is a multiracial country. It is just usually the first thing people on the net ask me.....go figure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 9:05am

Style: Shorinji Kempo /Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No!!! People on the net just tend to be ignorant about South Africa (especially Yanks) and dont realize that it is a multiracial country. It is just usually the first thing people on the net ask me.....go figure.

You call others ignorant and come out calling us or whoever "yanks?"... :icon_roll

Also you assume everyone on the net is ignorant about South Africa? Yes because we are all illiterate right?:jerkit2yf

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 9:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hitme
    You call others ignorant and come out calling us or whoever "yanks?"... :icon_roll

Also you assume everyone on the net is ignorant about South Africa? Yes because we are all illiterate right?:jerkit2yf
    I think you are reading a bit too much into my comments, would you prefer it if I said Americans, I try remember that for future reference.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 9:20am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see what's so amazing about the Straight Blast Gym system, but from all I've heard it's a good place to train.
    It's MMA with some self defence focus, from what I've seen.. Nothing groundbreaking, but good people, by all accounts.

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 9:28am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Can't we all just get along?

Has anyone here ever heard about Rodney King. He comes from here (South Africa... and no I am no black) and apparently he is brilliant and his system is amazing, I think he may be known internationally.

Check this link the 'articles' section is pretty interesting

http://www.mymalife.com
    This is the only Rodney King I ever heard of.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_King
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 9:48am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

As you can see the area (New England) where actual Yankees live is a relatively small area compared to the entire United States.

But I agree with you sometimes people on here are just looking for something to agrue about. Americans have been trained to be politically correct and any mention of race will set some people off.

Americans know that there are whites in South Africa, and assume that most are racists. I know that is not true, I dated a white girl from South Africa and she was not a racist.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 9:59am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a great post by Rodney King talking about 1 of the major misconceptions of his Crazy Monkey style (this is taken from the www.mymalife.com site):

I believe this is an important post and it is in answer to questions posted on this forum and others. The HUGE and I mean HUGE misconception out there amongst those who have limited training or understanding of CM is that CM is only the defensive positioning of the hands near the top of the head. This could not be further from the truth. This has been perpetuated by those who came to one of my seminars years ago or a seminar where I was specifically asked or told only to coach that part of the CM. Just another reason I have gone on my own- if anyone attends one of my seminars today they will realize straight away that CM is a whole lot more than they thought it was.

Secondly to this, what I coach on my DVDís is not the whole CM. With the exception of the sparring 101 DVD most of the information I put out on CM was to help people improve their defense, something I felt was lacking in MA/MMA. However if you chat to any one of my athletes they will tell you that on any given night at my gym we work the entire game from stand-up, clinch to the ground. We work at times self-preservation against weapons and so forth. All of this encompasses what we term the CM Defense Program. I recently read of a guy who taught a seminar in the UK, he called an athlete out who knew CM and went on to show how useless CM was against a bladeÖ. this is exactly what irritates me about MA as an industry- idiots who donít know what they are talking about. This instructor simply showed his ignorance of the CM Defense Program- thinking that the defensive hand posture was all there was to it. Not to mention that I view it as a compliment that he feels CM is such a threat to what he does, that he needed to take time out of his own international seminar to discredit it

Sure the name Crazy Monkey came from that hand positioning and was it not for a very good friend of mine who went on Safari who witnessed a troop of monkeyís doing a similar action while defending themselves from another invading troop- the name would probably not exist today. When we talk about the CM today we talk about the CM Defense Program. The CM hand position is only and in fact less than 1% of the total amount of the entire PROGRAM. Those who train with me on a regular basis- know that outside of what makes CM obvious and notable are the more integral and most important components of the vehicle we call CM Defense Program.

I am going to outline things here otherwise it will take pages (The www.mymalife.com membership program outlines these better).

-CM has its very own coaching & teaching style. The way we coach is very different to most other MA or MMA training groups. We believe in intelligent training initiatives, client focused and most importantly performance based- but set out in such a way that it encompasses a broad spectrum of the MA population (Military, close protection, law enforcement, self-defense, fitness, wellness etc). I am yet to find any other single MA program that has such a wide scope of use, with little or no change to the engine that drives it.

-CM Defense Program is not just the hand defense, but also our own and unique clinch boxing game. The way we approach grappling and Vale Tudo. This also includes and is not limited to elbows, knees and so forth.

- CM Defense Program is one of the very few MA programs that actively coaches and integrates mental game training as a natural process of training in it. Sport and Performance Psychology is a huge part of the CM defense program. But we approach this from a healthy perspective not one driven and fueled by paranoia or religious, mystical nonscence.

This is only a few aspects that make up the CM Defense Program. No disrespect to some of those in the SBG, but most of them have very limited exposure to CM or at least in so far as it extends past just the defensive hand positions to the CM defense Program itself. We donít endorse anyone who coaches our program unless they are part of the STWA or more specifically a CM Defense Program Certified Trainer. Many of the gyms under the STWA banner are still in the process of becoming certifiedÖ. I will be putting a list up in the next couple of days of who is actually licensed to coach the CM Defense Program. If you go to one of those trainers and watch one of their classes you will see a very different program that is currently offered by many unlicensed trainers or seminar wanabee coaches.

This is exactly why I have decided to do my own thing, so I can focus on the CM Defense Program, ensure high standards and that clients training in the program are getting the right coaching methodology. A while back a saw a well known MA coach demonstrating my material on a DVD, it was simply crap and is not what I coach. This guy had never trained with me at all but was trained by someone else who never spent much time with me either. All he showed was a very bad version of the CM defensive hand positioning and nothing else. This is what happens when you donít actually train the program yourself and think taking notes on the sideline actually gives you full insight to what is going on

The end of all of this, CM is an entire program, not just the hand positioning that made it famous

Jeff I am happy you found an excellent group to train with, my advice though is this, unless the group is part of STWA, more specifically CERTIFIED and LICENSED in the CM Defense Program don't think for a second that you are getting or seeing the entire package- expect and know it is probably less than 1 percent! Secondly if you do or are getting a chance to train with a CM Defense Program Licensed Trainer- realize that the hand postion that is relatively unique to the program is not the program at all- merely a small percentage of it
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast