Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 1:11pm

Style: Jujutsu, freestyle Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing wrong with training accuracy, but there ARE much less pussified ways of doing it. If you're too goddamn cheap to get a double-end ball, you can rig one up with a couple bungee cords, a roll of foam insulation and some duct tape. Five bucks, five minutes.
    You can also make a nice slip bag pretty easily. I used the sleeve from an old judo gi. Fill it with rice, tie the ends shut and attach a cord to hang it form. I added a couple cups full of bb's for weight and hardness. If you're not much good at dodging or striking, it still makes a great tool for Iron Face training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2006 5:25pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, Drunken Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In WC they would hang this piece of paper with a thumb tack against a wall so that you would try to strike the paper so that you'd hear the crisp snap of your fist hitting the paper but not the wall which is approximately 1-2 mm away. It's supposed to build control and precision.

I must confess that I used to do it, but it really doesn't do anything that other exercises can't do. Kind of dumb, but a cheap way to build control or bust up your hand which was the way it was for me as the wall behind my paper was cement. Gave me strong knuckles though.

Again, kind of dumb.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/05/2006 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wing chun has some of the stupidest training methods ever
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 12:08pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WunHungLo
    Nothing wrong with training accuracy, but there ARE much less pussified ways of doing it. If you're too goddamn cheap to get a double-end ball, you can rig one up with a couple bungee cords, a roll of foam insulation and some duct tape. Five bucks, five minutes.
    You can also make a nice slip bag pretty easily. I used the sleeve from an old judo gi. Fill it with rice, tie the ends shut and attach a cord to hang it form. I added a couple cups full of bb's for weight and hardness. If you're not much good at dodging or striking, it still makes a great tool for Iron Face training.

I tried something similar, but it didn't last a day.

We could turn this thread in a source reading for making your own cheap training material.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 4:50pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your trying to snap the paper in half with a punch or a kick. punch/kick at it and when you hit it, bring your foot/hand fast as you can. don't go through.. that's cheating. if you can actually pull it off then yeah it means you have really good technique..

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your saying this is to practice snapping your kicks? That sucks.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 4:58pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistaKickz
    your trying to snap the paper in half with a punch or a kick. punch/kick at it and when you hit it, bring your foot/hand fast as you can. don't go through.. that's cheating. if you can actually pull it off then yeah it means you have really good technique..

No. Knocking someone to the floor means you have done an adequate punching or kicking technique. If they are unable to stand afterward you have done a good punching or kicking technique. This of course, only counts if done in full-contact sparring or in an acutal fight. Otherwise you are just a ***** playing a pointless game.
    Last edited by BoardHitBack; 4/06/2006 5:04pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 5:43am

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well that's why I don't practice snapping paper. I've seen alot of people doing it though. If you watched the Tony Valente video under the "Bruce Lee is rolling in his grave" thread, you saw that he was trying to snap it with his punch.

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 7:12am

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoardHitBack
    No. Knocking someone to the floor means you have done an adequate punching or kicking technique. If they are unable to stand afterward you have done a good punching or kicking technique. This of course, only counts if done in full-contact sparring or in an acutal fight. Otherwise you are just a ***** playing a pointless game.
    If your opponant is reduced to a fine red mist, you have done an excellant punching or kicking technique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 7:53am

Style: Jujutsu, freestyle Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mundane
    I tried something similar, but it didn't last a day.

We could turn this thread in a source reading for making your own cheap training material.

Could be pretty productive, since I don't think I'm the only one who's broke around here.
    My newest toy is a basketball filled with sand and hung on a rope. Naturally, this required a good bit of duct tape. Great for throwing uppercuts and knees, but that fucker is HARD. I'm gonna take some of the sand out of it.
    BTW, a stack of old tires makes a pretty good heavybag.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast