Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Style
    MT/SUB GRAPPLING
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a groovy book-shield chest-guard recently featured in The Martialist

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    odacon, I am in constant fear of shitting myself when I fart, that would give me comfort on multiple levels. I like the rain, though.

Mr. Mundane, you are totally right. I ask myelf, why martial arts? Because I want to be happy. I have never been in a fight since kindergarden when I got body slammed by a five-year-old. I have no delusions of stomping anybody, I'm a skinny kid, but I'm spiritual. The past couple years I have believed in the genius of non-violence and non-aggression. I still agree that that is the only way you can promote peace without fail (even if you die). Hyporcrites suck. But as I'm getting older, I'm believing in my own surival, I don't necessarily promote peace (**** being naiive). Everyone dies and goes through pain and people always get hurt because of misunderstanding but I don't want to be helpless if I see something that I can change to keep things along the path I see as 'good' or 'natural.' The bear isn't shamed for killing the hunter, eh? I think the martial arts that deal with using people's momentums to **** up whatever they are trying to do is facking genius. That's the kind of stuff I want to know because I definately don't have raw power on my side. I also have a lot of respect for people who train to take high amounts of pain, do whatever to test the limits of their minds and bodies. Whether it's bullshido or not, if it's not going to actually help me fight off a dude who is attacking me, that is not necessarily the most important thing because there's a lot of life in-between fights to fill, and I know from experience that meditation and the training that a lot of martial art schools do are not wasted time.

Style
    MT/SUB GRAPPLING
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clavin
    I know from experience that meditation and the training that a lot of martial art schools do are not wasted time.
    Tell us more about this, please.

Style
    Baguazhang
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you think it's worth it to carry a fake wallet with fake cards and **** for situtations like that?
    Depends on your level of paranoia.

Style
    BJJ, mma
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like Anthonys fake wallet the best. His goes boom.

Style
    Being a total psychopath
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know from experience that meditation and the training that a lot of martial art schools do are not wasted time.
    I also inquire about this comment.

Do you plan on doing it for 4 hours a week like a part time ************ or actually putting some effort into it?

Style
    MT/SUB GRAPPLING
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meditation can relieve the stress of a missing wallet and being bitch-slapped.

Style
    none currently, ex-TSK
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    odacon, I am in constant fear of shitting myself when I fart, that would give me comfort on multiple levels. I like the rain, though.

Mr. Mundane, you are totally right. I ask myelf, why martial arts? Because I want to be happy. I have never been in a fight since kindergarden when I got body slammed by a five-year-old. I have no delusions of stomping anybody, I'm a skinny kid, but I'm spiritual. The past couple years I have believed in the genius of non-violence and non-aggression. I still agree that that is the only way you can promote peace without fail (even if you die). Hyporcrites suck. But as I'm getting older, I'm believing in my own surival, I don't necessarily promote peace (**** being naiive). Everyone dies and goes through pain and people always get hurt because of misunderstanding but I don't want to be helpless if I see something that I can change to keep things along the path I see as 'good' or 'natural.' The bear isn't shamed for killing the hunter, eh? I think the martial arts that deal with using people's momentums to **** up whatever they are trying to do is facking genius. That's the kind of stuff I want to know because I definately don't have raw power on my side. I also have a lot of respect for people who train to take high amounts of pain, do whatever to test the limits of their minds and bodies. Whether it's bullshido or not, if it's not going to actually help me fight off a dude who is attacking me, that is not necessarily the most important thing because there's a lot of life in-between fights to fill, and I know from experience that meditation and the training that a lot of martial art schools do are not wasted time.
    Does the phrase "We will turn on you to satisfy our bloodlust." mean anything to you? It may soon. :icon_wink

When you eventually take up aikido (let's not kid ourselves here), just make sure it's not the MAS (Mechanized Attack Squad) variety and you actually practice on resisting opponents. Otherwise, it will not turn out well here for you. Just a heads up and good luck.:lookround
    Last edited by bodar; 3/27/2006 11:01pm at .

Style
    Being a total psychopath
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He didn't say he would take Aikido.

Style
    none currently, ex-TSK
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    He didn't say he would take Aikido.
    His post just set off warning bells:

-"I have no delusions of stomping anybody, I'm a skinny kid, but I'm spiritual." [Hmmm...]

-"I think the martial arts that deal with using people's momentums to **** up whatever they are trying to do is facking genius. That's the kind of stuff I want to know because I definately don't have raw power on my side." [Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!]

-"Whether it's bullshido or not..." [Defcon 3!]

I just don't want him to waste his time/money on some MAS aikido, so I gave him some (quasi-friendly) advice. Isn't that one of this site's missions? I'm sure you know (better than most) that there's a buttload of craptastic aikido out there.

So Clavin, stick around, dig around in the older threads, and post some possible schools when you decide to take the plunge.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last