Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 10:33am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Karate as part of a corporate executive's toolkit?

I heard an advert for this place today on Bloomberg Radio:

http://www.harmonybykarate.com/

The advert was touting their team building ability to help corporate executives in the workplace. I can't specifically find anything on their website about such a program. However, some of the "testamonials" do mention it.

I was wondering what is thought here about such programs? Regardless of whether it is taught within the context of martial arts, what makes a teacher qualified to make such claims? Are their any case studies available to support it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 11:03am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could see the advert in my head.

"mawashi geri your way up the corporate ladder!"

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    interesting.

i am taking a class in japanese history post world war II, and recently read an article about the training that new employees of a certain japanese bank were put through. the article was called "The Education of a Japanese Banker" and was published in 1978 by Human Nature magazine.

the training was 3 months long and included a substantial amount of both meditative training and military drilling (in fact they were being trained by buddhist monks and army personnel for that part of the training.) very little time was spent on the actual banking skills.

the theory was that this type of activity builds teamwork and leadership ability, and we all know how successful japanese business was in the 80's.

i can see how karate training might relate to this type of theory. not really sure if they are doing a good job, or if there has been any research done into this type of program.

i guess i can say that it MIGHT be helpful. no real proof though.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 12:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mas Oyama's book had people attacking each other in suits and using common office seating situations. Unfortunately I don't think these people have the same intentions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 12:31pm

Style: Koei-Kan, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, but this has to be one of the biggest piles of dung I have seen yet in the race for the next great corporate training regimen. Does anyone remember when corporations were making all of their managers read "Art of War"? This is the same stupid crap. This is no different than the other "team building" exercercises like doing rope ladders and confidence course type of things in the woods. American companys will never stick with something like this because, much like our kids, corporations have ADD and will be on to the "next best" thing in no time.

Plain and simple, things like this are a fad. They do not stick in any way shape nor form. I have worked for incredibly large to incredibly small companys and have had to endure each new fad that has come down the pipe. The companys are all the same in that their way of doing business remains unchanged in the long run despite whatever flavor of the month training seminars they go to. It is rare when a real, tangable change can be seen from something like this.

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 12:42pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FredGarvinMP
    Sorry, but this has to be one of the biggest piles of dung I have seen yet in the race for the next great corporate training regimen. Does anyone remember when corporations were making all of their managers read "Art of War"? This is the same stupid crap. This is no different than the other "team building" exercercises like doing rope ladders and confidence course type of things in the woods. American companys will never stick with something like this because, much like our kids, corporations have ADD and will be on to the "next best" thing in no time.

Plain and simple, things like this are a fad. They do not stick in any way shape nor form. I have worked for incredibly large to incredibly small companys and have had to endure each new fad that has come down the pipe. The companys are all the same in that their way of doing business remains unchanged in the long run despite whatever flavor of the month training seminars they go to. It is rare when a real, tangable change can be seen from something like this.
    You are right. Companies do programs that promote the company. When the next "achive more" program comes out that will (in hushed tones) Get more work out of the employee. this will be abandond. as it should because it fucking sucks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 12:47pm

Style: Beatyerass

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One word - Dilbert.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 6:41pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FredGarvinMP

This is possibly the truest thing i have ever read. Look at the book of five rings by Musashi it is effectively a book about life viewed through the eyes of a killer. What it has become to these elitest buisness fucks is what the confusious texts were to the chinese goverment circa 1100 ad. Where every one had read these works and were being quized on these items inorder to get a government job however no one really took a good hard look at what they were saying.

PT
    Last edited by Planktime; 3/27/2006 6:44pm at .

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 7:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    Mas Oyama's book had people attacking each other in suits and using common office seating situations. Unfortunately I don't think these people have the same intentions.
    Please tell me your joking. I'm asking this because office people are crazy so it is possible.

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 9:01pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Planktime
    This is possibly the truest thing i have ever read. Look at the book of five rings by Musashi it is effectively a book about life viewed through the eyes of a killer. What it has become to these elitest buisness fucks is what the confusious texts were to the chinese goverment circa 1100 ad. Where every one had read these works and were being quized on these items inorder to get a government job however no one really took a good hard look at what they were saying.

PT
    yeah, so what were they saying?
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast