Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 12:52am

Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about you call or email the dojo?
    I will if Fitz doesn't know the answer. In my experience I've found people get slightly offended if you just outright ask for pricings. It doesn't have any mention of the fees on Higashi's website and I actually knew the guy when he taught at my college so I don't really want to slightly offend someone I was fond of. I'm actually asking for my girfriend whom I've been teaching Aikido and Judo to. She's wants to find somewhere to train this summer and I suggested Higashi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 1:02am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what's so offensive about asking for pricing???

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 1:05am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    I think it proabably has to do with a different mentality.
    I was reading this thread about how the Australians were the only ones crazy enough to fight with the Natives of Hawaii over waves. Hawaiians are a pretty big people and the Australians were over there fighting with them.

Americans were talking about how much Shotokan sucks and two Australians talked about how Shotokan wasn't that bad where they were. I don't think it was a coincidence that Australians would say otherwise.

I think you are on the right track with the idea of a different mentality at work, but I have a theory as to what it is.....America is the land of the venture captialist, the free market and entrepeneurial ideology is their great strength. It has a high population which means that it has a higher number of idiots. Note this also means it has aa higher number of clever peeps and a higher number of peeps of average intellect. Good entrepeneurs (usually clever people) plus large supply of idiots= Enough McDojos to meet demand grow. Economy prospers. Lots of Mcdojos means lots of MAs shitly. Lots of MA guys round the place are ****. Krotty specially vulnerable. Lots of american krotty that is **** is seen for what it is be people who acutally train to fight.

Australia is the land which sends barman trained especially to serve cold beer to brits regardless of how loudly we complain that is not the mininum room temperature of 18 degrees celsius, to spite us for imprisoning them on a beautiful island. I understand it did take them a while to get use to the deadly fauna and flora, and was pretty tough going until a hundred odd years ago. Either way, their revenge on us is extremely vicious- COLD BEER GODDAMMIT, COLD FUCKING BEER, WHY WHY WHY WE'RE SORRY IT WAS WASN'T US IT WAS OUR ANCESTORS PLEASE STOP And also a land of fucking good rugby, much as I hate to say it. I'm sure I had a point but I seem to have have lost it.
    Last edited by BoardHitBack; 3/27/2006 1:09am at .

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 1:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiNnyX4
    I will if Fitz doesn't know the answer. In my experience I've found people get slightly offended if you just outright ask for pricings. It doesn't have any mention of the fees on Higashi's website and I actually knew the guy when he taught at my college so I don't really want to slightly offend someone I was fond of. I'm actually asking for my girfriend whom I've been teaching Aikido and Judo to. She's wants to find somewhere to train this summer and I suggested Higashi.
    You're teaching your girlfriend? Whats your rank in these two arts? Really whats so offensive about asking for someone's price for teaching.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 1:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're teaching your girlfriend? Whats your rank in these two arts? Really whats so offensive about asking for someone's price for teaching.
    I'm 1st kyu in Aikido and 4th kyu in Judo. I really don't know what's so offensive about asking someone their prices. Honestly, I wouldn't be offended...but some people do get offended...maybe it has something to do with looking like your shopping around for the best price or something, I dont' know. But I saw an opportunity to avoid this problem and took it.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 2:02am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    I think it proabably has to do with a different mentality.
    I was reading this thread about how the Australians were the only ones crazy enough to fight with the Natives of Hawaii over waves. Hawaiians are a pretty big people and the Australians were over there fighting with them.

Americans were talking about how much Shotokan sucks and two Australians talked about how Shotokan wasn't that bad where they were. I don't think it was a coincidence that Australians would say otherwise.

Since I do Aikido I guess I would be the only one noticing this. I might be wrong about this but I think Shodokan Aikido is the primary style of Aikido in Australia. Shodokan actually has some form of sparring. I keep running into stories about Aikido guys fighting challengers and all of these stories come from Australia.

All of this could doesn't have to mean anything I guess.
    But see that is the genius of the American Way Mr. Jones . . . instead of changing our mindset to deal with aussies, we just made all those Hawaiins americans.

But seriously, it has to do mostly, I think, with the market of martial arts in america. There just aren't enough people that are immune to the idea of teaching it as a paegent event and an ego booster. If there's a difference between the community here and say the dutch or austrailian community, I'd say that's it.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 2:24am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bruce from Survivor:Exile Island practices that style; he's a Godan, I think. However, this is Shotokan America, he practices. They show him doing katas almost every episode. You might learn more from watching Survivor than from going to that class.
    Last edited by blackbrujo; 3/27/2006 2:30am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 11:23am

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [Mods, please relocate this post to a more appropriate location.]

I trained with Higashi from 1995 to 1998 in college in Judo, Aikido and Jujutsu and then with a few other schools in the NYC area, Oishi in Manhattan, Shiina in Brooklyn in Judo. I ended up going on hiatus from regular training a few years ago after an eye injury (jelly seperation) but have been getting back on the mat on and off for the last year.

If his school is easy enough to get to I think your girlfriend will have an interesting time. He tends to get a lot of people with backgrounds in Anthropology and Anatomy so you end up getting some extra education on top of the methodology of the particular arts. He's highly adept at choking techniques and even did his MA thesis on the anatomy of chokes. Unfortunately his English is nearly incomprehensible to people who aren't used to heavy Japanese accents. I'm not sure what his current monthly rates are but I'd guess based upon the charge for most Manhattan training groups that it is somewhere between the $70 and $90 range at this point. The contact information is at

http://www.kokushibudo.com/index.shtml

If that seems like a bit much the Oishi Judo Club downtown is rock solid for Judo and charges a $20 mat fee or you can purchese a pass for a number of classes over the course of three months. You can find their info at

http://www.oishi-judo.com/

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 12:26pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh, I took shotokan for about three months with a Japanese instructor (can't remember his name, but his school was named American Shotokan Kenkojuku Karate) back in comm. college. Lots of kata, and lots of conditioning. I think the instructor was a bit nutty, just plain fucking weird.

Anyways, if we weren't running barefoot on a track or up and down the stairs on a 5-story building as a 20-minute warmup (until we puked or farted in pain, literally), we were throwing punches and kicking in the air non-stop until we puked or farted in pain, literally. In addition to that, we had to do lots and lots of push-ups on our two big nuckles... and sometimes on the back of our wrists (bending the wrists with fingers pointing inward, crazy ****.)

It was one of the most physically demanding things I've done, an excellent way to be in good shape, and I was already in good shape. And to be honest, it was fun.

But, it was just that, katas, katas and more katas. No sparring at all. Maybe because he didn't let n00bs go at it, I dunno. But after three months I though "what the **** am I doing with all these katas". Once I put my thinking hat and looked at it in a logical fashion, I realized that I got in excellent shape, but that there was no fucking way in hell that any of that could be use in a fight.

I learned how to do katas like a mindless robot, nothing more. I dunno if that's how Shotokan is, but first impressions count.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 12:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained with Higashi from 1995 to 1998 in college in Judo, Aikido and Jujutsu and then with a few other schools in the NYC area, Oishi in Manhattan, Shiina in Brooklyn in Judo. I ended up going on hiatus from regular training a few years ago after an eye injury (jelly seperation) but have been getting back on the mat on and off for the last year.

If his school is easy enough to get to I think your girlfriend will have an interesting time. He tends to get a lot of people with backgrounds in Anthropology and Anatomy so you end up getting some extra education on top of the methodology of the particular arts. He's highly adept at choking techniques and even did his MA thesis on the anatomy of chokes. Unfortunately his English is nearly incomprehensible to people who aren't used to heavy Japanese accents. I'm not sure what his current monthly rates are but I'd guess based upon the charge for most Manhattan training groups that it is somewhere between the $70 and $90 range at this point. The contact information is at

http://www.kokushibudo.com/index.shtml

If that seems like a bit much the Oishi Judo Club downtown is rock solid for Judo and charges a $20 mat fee or you can purchese a pass for a number of classes over the course of three months. You can find their info at

http://www.oishi-judo.com/
    Thanks, do you know if the fees are for unlimited classes for all the different styles or if it's just for a certain number of classes or something?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast