Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2006 10:19pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In terms of the training you'll likely get things will start out with a lot of solo drills of striking and blocking techniques along with basic movement skills. From there you'll probably move into kata methods, one and three point sparring and maybe free sparring eventually. Shotokan is roughly 50% empahsis on punching methods and 50% on kicking methods with very little in the way of throwing or locking methods unless the teacher has a personal interest in the earliest versions of Shotokan or has co-training in Judo and/or Aikido and has chosen to incorporate some elements from these styles in his teaching.

Shotokan is one of the better regulated Karate forms. Ask the instructor about his credentials and which organization he is associated with and then check them out afterwards.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    3/26/2006 10:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't think of any Shodokan and Shotokan jokes right now but I'll try to get back to you Fitz.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2006 10:42pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there's always shotocan't.

It'll be interesting to read what their training is like.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    3/26/2006 11:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've met some Shotokan guys who can fight alright. In fact one of them beat a couple of our blackbelts at the least tornament I went to. But it all depends on the individual club. How hard they train and how much sparring they do.

As someone mentioned earlier if they train hard and do hard contact sparring, then it's a good place to train at.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    3/26/2006 11:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the Australian martial arts community is somehow different from America's. I keep hearing stories about Australia's martial artist that just sound like they are in a different league.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 12:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheddar:

The teacher should be enthusiastic about giving you the details of his lineage, what Shotokan association he teaches under, et cetera. If you post the details, there are people who can check him out. The reason for this is that an unwillingness to disclose such information is a "red flag."

Beyond that, what other have written about the quality of teaching is most important. The guy can have all of the certificates from legitimate organizations, have instruction for phenomenal teachers, but if the classes are weak, the classes are weak. If they are good classes, they are good classes.

--J.D.

[Edited for "pronoun problem."--Ed.]
    Last edited by Doctor X; 3/27/2006 12:07am at .

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 12:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    I think the Australian martial arts community is somehow different from America's. I keep hearing stories about Australia's martial artist that just sound like they are in a different league.

Really ? How so ?
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 12:24am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it proabably has to do with a different mentality.
    I was reading this thread about how the Australians were the only ones crazy enough to fight with the Natives of Hawaii over waves. Hawaiians are a pretty big people and the Australians were over there fighting with them.

Americans were talking about how much Shotokan sucks and two Australians talked about how Shotokan wasn't that bad where they were. I don't think it was a coincidence that Australians would say otherwise.

Since I do Aikido I guess I would be the only one noticing this. I might be wrong about this but I think Shodokan Aikido is the primary style of Aikido in Australia. Shodokan actually has some form of sparring. I keep running into stories about Aikido guys fighting challengers and all of these stories come from Australia.

All of this could doesn't have to mean anything I guess.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 12:37am

Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

To Fitz:

Fitz, I would've PM'd you this question but I don't have access to that option yet seeing as this is my first post. I was just wondering if you train with Higashi sensei and if you do what the fees are for training there.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 12:43am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiNnyX4
    Fitz, I would've PM'd you this question but I don't have access to that option yet seeing as this is my first post. I was just wondering if you train with Higashi sensei and if you do what the fees are for training there.
    How about you call or email the dojo?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast