Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shotokan

In my quest to find a Martial art i have recently come across a Dojo called Japan Karate and Kickboxing in my city toledo, Ohio. When i talked to the owner he was actually a japanese man, not being racist or anything here, and he told me he teaches traditional japanese Shotokan and that when someone who is a black belt in an americanized form of martial arts such as kempo comes to his dojo he gives them a yellow belt. He told me to come tomarrow and watch a lesson and such so i figure i'll go check it out and see what I think. If anyone has anything that might be good to know or somthing about Shotokan or reelated things I would be glad to know.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There´s nothing we could tell you that will give you a better idea about that place than the class you´re about to watch.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go and watch the lesson. Shotokan Karate is Japanese Watered Down (Standardized) Okinawan Karate. However, if they try hard, make contact and spar. Its good.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, well i really just wanted another opinion on Shotokan because a teacher is obviously going to say his art is good. He did say they do sparr

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Point Sparring or Real Sparring?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not sure yet becasue the guy was very japanese and he gave some word for it. I expect to hopfully find out tomarrow that it is real sparring

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No matter what the teacher say (yes, they always say their art is good), go and see for yourself.

Maybe we can comment on what you´ve seen.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    alright ill post about what i saw then after i watch tomarrow

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shotokan was my first style. When i was in elementry school. It was mostly kata training. And throwing techniques in the air. Sometimes one-step sparring.

Shotokan really had me disapointed. I was a little kid and was expecting to be fighting and doing cool stuff. After a little while I quit. Several years later when i was 11 or 12, I started up TKD. It was much more fun. I can't say TKD is better for fighting becuase TKD sucks.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I made a thread about Shotokan awhile ago.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30121

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last