Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 7:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amp, you know you are one of the only WC'ers I truly love.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp
    I have no idea what exactly "my style" was designed for (and I'm not about to get into the crazy speculation about the origins of WC)...but we do train drills w/ multiple people throwing punches. It's very good for training reactions, fight awareness, and just generally keeping your hands up.

That's cool. As long as you are using such a drill for pressure, stress, and general amusement and not with the LARP idea of a multi-attacker scenario, I have no problem with that.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What exactly is the LARP idea? I've heard it mentioned before but never really figured out what it refers to.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 11:55am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Live Action Role Play"

It's people that actually dress up as their PNP role playing game characters.

Essentially, these are the people furries make fun of.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 1:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahhh...thank you.

Makes sense.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 3:25pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Johnny, if someone doesn't know what LARP means, what's the chance they know what PNP means? Rofl. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    I'm just asking, but it sounds like your training process requires a long time to develop proper fighters.
    I think you missed what I was getting at: that you don't need trapping to develop as a fighter. There are plenty of other things in _ing _un that can make it effective, or "proper", and that come into play in a fight more than trapping likely ever would. And, the point I was getting at, is that trapping is completely useless without all of those other things.

Amp:
    I realize that some of this is just a problem of semantics and of gobbledygook philosophy, but I prefer to think of _ing _un "blocks" as minimizing what your opponent is doing while maximizing what you are able to return. The point is not to stop an attack, like blocks in karate or TKD, but to lessen it. Of course, you might lessen it to the point of neutralizing it completely, but that isn't necessary. I mean, the bong, fuk, and tan are called "The Three Terrors of Wing Chun" for a reason, and that reason isn't because they stop someone from hitting you. And you said yourself, "You'll get hit." I know! But hopefully I'll get hit less. I don't think we are really thinking any differently here.

I think you know all of this already though. Again, probably more of a semantical issue for you. I guess when I say that _ing _un has no "blocks", I mean more that it doesn't have "blocks" in the way that other MAs have them, and doesn't perceive them as doing the same thing.

Dagon Akujin... It is not easier to deal with an attacker when he's throwing a punch... IT IS EASIER TO DEAL WITH AN ATTACKER WHEN YOU ARE PUNCHING HIM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123