Posted On:
    3/27/2006 8:58am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol
    Ah, pardon me :)
    well ... too bad he doesn't answer to any of us.

WC answers to no man.

:5dunce:
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 11:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiangfei
    Dude, I know a Dave who teaches in Wales. Only I doubt it's the same one as any philosophy of waiting for the opponent to hit you first is... like, heresy.
    They're so used to drilling trapping with pre-agreed attacks that they think it's easier to deal with an attacker when he's thrown a punch. :5no::5no: :5no:

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 2:40pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by angry welshman
    They're so used to drilling trapping with pre-agreed attacks that they think it's easier to deal with an attacker when he's thrown a punch. :5no::5no: :5no:
    That's odd. I mean, _ing _un has NO BLOCKS. So what are you doing if you are waiting for them to throw a punch? Trying to prove that you can suck up a hit before you launch your attack? It is not easier to deal with an attacker when he's throwing a punch... IT IS EASIER TO DEAL WITH AN ATTACKER WHEN YOU ARE PUNCHING HIM.

I guess I'm starting to figure out one of the main differences between _ing _un schools. Some seem to believe that _ing _un is all about trapping (maybe because the trapping aspect is somewhat unique to _ing _un training). However, I know at my school that trapping is like the confection on a jelly donut. If you don't have solid punches, then the trapping aspect is useless. Punches are the jelly. You can have good punches without needing trapping at all. You cannot make any use of trapping, however, without good, solid, ass-kicking punches. Hell, we don't even start chi sau until after a minimum of about a year of solid training (and often much longer).

Dagon Akujin... "I don't think you're ready for thi..."

(P.S. worst ending to a post EVER.) :seppuku:

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 9:25pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you don't start chi sau without a year of training.

How long before you start sparring?

I'm just asking, but it sounds like your training process requires a long time to develop proper fighters.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2006 10:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin
    That's odd. I mean, _ing _un has NO BLOCKS.
    You see, this is the perfect example of the wing chun philosophical crap that makes us look stupid.

No blocks?

Do me a favor, get into a few fights and come back and let's talk about NO BLOCKS. Do some training w/ multiple people throwing punches at you and let's talk about NO BLOCKS. It doesn't make sense. You'll get hit.

I HATE when people say WC has no blocks.

Good blocks should hurt the person throwing the punches/kicks...but they are blocks...and WC has them.

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 12:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp
    Do some training w/ multiple people throwing punches at you and let's talk about NO BLOCKS. It doesn't make sense.
    Indeed.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 12:24am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp
    Do some training w/ multiple people throwing punches at you and let's talk about NO BLOCKS. It doesn't make sense. You'll get hit.

I HATE when people say WC has no blocks.
    Sidestepping the "yes it does ... no it doesn't" nonsense for the moment, but, by saying "training w/multiple people throwing punches", are you saying that your style was designed to handle multiple attackers?

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 1:42am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please, allow me to give an appropriate _ing _un answer.

What is really a block? What is really a punch? A good fighter generally knows there is very blurry distinction between the two as one flows into another. That is a general principle of WC since it is a fluid and adaptable style.

At least that is what works at my school when we spar hard. You should come see for yourself instead of criticizing.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 7:06am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Sidestepping the "yes it does ... no it doesn't" nonsense for the moment, but, by saying "training w/multiple people throwing punches", are you saying that your style was designed to handle multiple attackers?
    I have no idea what exactly "my style" was designed for (and I'm not about to get into the crazy speculation about the origins of WC)...but we do train drills w/ multiple people throwing punches. It's very good for training reactions, fight awareness, and just generally keeping your hands up.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 7:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcFu
    Please, allow me to give an appropriate _ing _un answer.

What is really a block? What is really a punch? A good fighter generally knows there is very blurry distinction between the two as one flows into another. That is a general principle of WC since it is a fluid and adaptable style.

At least that is what works at my school when we spar hard. You should come see for yourself instead of criticizing.
    The principles of WC are independent from the specific hands/blocks.

Yes...ideally in WC you only use a block as a transition point into a strike...but guess what...that doesn't always work. That's why most WC blows ass...they train based on ideals and theories instead of what is applicable and practical.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast