resident sick ****

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 12:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Gun is No Match For Judo

I remember watching a Judo test and these guys plastic guns.These guys were practicing taking away plastic guns. I was like WTF? I hope this club is the only one practicing it. I looked it up and it's part of the Goshin Jutsu curriculum. Do Judo guys think they can beat someone with a gun for real? I'm sorry but this just seems silly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 2:49am

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    I remember watching a Judo test and these guys plastic guns.These guys were practicing taking away plastic guns. I was like WTF? I hope this club is the only one practicing it. I looked it up and it's part of the Goshin Jutsu curriculum. Do Judo guys think they can beat someone with a gun for real? I'm sorry but this just seems silly.
    I guess this part of Judo is mainly done for posterity sake. Something to hand to the next generation of practitioner. The Goshin Jutsu is, however unrealistic one may argue, is still part of the Kodokan syllabus.

This part of the syllabus was conceived than 50 years, pre-WWII. I am sure guns as we have now has evolved tremendously. I am sure there were no automatic pistols, sub machine guns back then and the kata presumes very simple scenarios. As always, it is from these simple building blocks that one explore further on one's own interest.

As for neutralizing weapons, LEO and Military are the guys who are big on these issues, IMO. Also Krav Maga is the system that specialize in these scenario, mainly through LARP.

Hooked on Monkey Phonics

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 8:25am

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    semi-automatic pistols of world war 2:
    http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/pistols/armsap.htm

history section says semi-automatic pistols were invented sometime between 1880 and 1894 when the first commercially succesfull semi-automatic pistol was introduced
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_pistol

fully automatic pistols 1932
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_pistol

and according to this they had submachine guns during WW1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submachine_guns#History
    http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/submachg/armsmg2.htm

i don't think there has been much evolution in guns since the sealed metallic cartridge and the automatic ability of guns
    In weightlifting, I don't think sudden, uncontrolled urination should automatically disqualify you.
    "Second place!, That's just a fancy word for losing."

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 8:38am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GMW - The colt .45 was around before wwI.

I don't have much of an issue with gun defense. If I'm sure someone means to shoot me, and escape isn't an option, I'd prefer to have a shot at taking away their gun no matter how low percentage that might be. Very slim chance > No chance.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 9:23am

supporting member
     Style: Yoseikan Budo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The cenarios for any gun defense is one where the gun holder hasn't made the decision to kill you, if he did he would shoot you from farther away or come close and surprisingly point a gun to your head and shoot.

now if he wants something from you and he's using the gun as a threat then you may have the possibility to do that stuff but once you have the basics down start using a paintball or a bb gun and see if you can move before he shoots :-)
    Martial Arts is like sex, if you over complicate it with exotic sounding names, theories and principles, you end up fucking yourself in the ass. -Ronin69

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 9:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not familiar with gun defenses in Judo. I know of some in jujutsu (added into the curriculum).

Old School DM

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 9:43am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a couple of scenarios in which judo might win over a gun:

1) Two people are in a phone booth. One tries to pull a gun, the other knows judo.

2) Guy with plastic gun waves it menacingly in a judo dojo.

Other than that, I'll bet on the gun.
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    Never seen it and I am not you should take it seriously. Its probably like the strikes in Nage no Kata, just there to let you practice dropping someone on their head and isn't remotely realistic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 11:45am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goshin is embarrassing and boring as hell to train. Every year there's a seminar here and anyone who isn't into the esoteric is warned to be busy that weekend.

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 11:28pm

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have done some gun defense stuff in Judo. While I would not like to bet my life on it working, I guess it is better than nothing. If someone has a gun and you have nothing, and if you fear for your life, and cannot run away, you had better do something. I guess the only way to train gun defense in an alive manner would be to use airsoft pistols or paintball guns. Try out the different gun defenses and see what works and what is totally stupid.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast