Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fear my Mediocracy

Good evening, my name is Calvin and I like to breathe. My brother started studying nin-jitsu and he's gotten me interested in various martial arts stuff, and he roams this forum all the time so I inevitably registered after hearing him laughing his ass off all the time -- here I am, that's the story so far.

I'm not keen on any techniques/styles/situations, I've only been to a shitty karate introduction class which was obviously a high-potency dose of bullshido, except for the stretching - that was pretty raw.

My whole steez for registering and roaming around here is to try to figure out some personal training I can incorporate into my lifestyle. I want to improve my balance and stature for everyday ****, and philosophy about defending myself so that when Beefmeister McRobyu-for-Money gets in my face, I can look him straight in the eye and realize what's going on before attempting to solve the problem.

Maybe if I get interested enough I'll walk into a dojo and start that kind of training in ze future. For now, my newbitude shall precede me.

Style
    MT/SUB GRAPPLING
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just hand over the wallet and you won't get hurt.

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you think it's worth it to carry a fake wallet with fake cards and **** for situtations like that?

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood supporting member
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clavin
    Good evening, my name is Calvin and I like to breathe. My brother started studying nin-jitsu and he's gotten me interested in various martial arts stuff, and he roams this forum all the time so I inevitably registered after hearing him laughing his ass off all the time -- here I am, that's the story so far.

I'm not keen on any techniques/styles/situations, I've only been to a shitty karate introduction class which was obviously a high-potency dose of bullshido, except for the stretching - that was pretty raw.

My whole steez for registering and roaming around here is to try to figure out some personal training I can incorporate into my lifestyle. I want to improve my balance and stature for everyday ****, and philosophy about defending myself so that when Beefmeister McRobyu-for-Money gets in my face, I can look him straight in the eye and realize what's going on before attempting to solve the problem.

Maybe if I get interested enough I'll walk into a dojo and start that kind of training in ze future. For now, my newbitude shall precede me.
    By the time you've looked him in the eye, realised what's going on and solved the problem he's either stabbed you or you've tried a knife/gun defence learnt from a questionable instructor and come off even worse.

Martial Arts is great for Self Defence but unless someone is trying to mug you at fistpoint, there's not an awful lot you can do.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood supporting member
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you think it's worth it to carry a fake wallet with fake cards and **** for situtations like that?
    Some of the guys on here have mentioned that before. It couldn't hurt to have a 'fake' wallet with a few dollars to hand over should such a situation arise.

Style
    none currently, ex-TSK
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Totally, as long as you're long gone before he realizes what's happened. My father carries an old wallet with about 3 dollars cash and a couple dozen business cards. His other wallet is where he keeps all his "plastic", ID, etc.

Style
    MT/SUB GRAPPLING
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Maybe for wussies like you.

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh I meant it as an example of being aware. My point would be to know that he is mugging me as soon as possible. Being aware of facts (I'm going Taoist here) and not doing anything stupid would be something to apply to all things in my daily life. I imagine a lot of the stuff in here has some important guidelines of things to keep in mind for a lot of situations. I guess I'm looking for some advice that I can walk around thinking about and maybe start making some connections in my brain. Should training start with the body or the mind? I guess both would make the most sense...

Style
    Kung Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reacting against gunpoint robbery is dumb. Period.
    He got a gun. You don't. Do you need to know more to realise you're in the bad side of the coin?

About your balance and posture, some stance training would be good. However, you must learn it directly from someone who knows his ****, or you'll just end up hurting yourself.

I say go to the gym or practice a sport like swimming or gymnastics. Usually people who want to practice martial arts for looks/body shape and sense of security don't get very far and drop out in the first time they get punched in the nose.

I'm not bashing you, just giving an honest opinion. Ask yourself this: why martial arts?

Style
    Bits and pieces
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not pack a spare pair of underpants too? or an emergency umberella?

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last