Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 11:17am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    I used to avoid talking about it, but now I invite them to come try a free class down at the bjj gym. Most people turn me down.
    I wear a hoodie with my club's logo on it a lot, as well as the occasional t-shirt with my school's logo, so if someone asks, I hand them our card, tell them a little about what we do, tell them the first class is free so they can come check us out if they like, and go about my business.

I only do this because we're trying to increase membership so we can afford bigger/nicer facilities. We're even in talks to start offering a kids' mixed TKD/Jiu-jitsu class so we can use the soccer moms to help subsidize things for the people that want to train more seriously. OH THE HUMANITY I'M TRAINING AT A FUTURE MCDOJO AND I DON'T EVEN FEEL BAD ABOUT IT!
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 11:59am

Style: Yang style Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's all hold hands and have a prayer for Garbanzo Bean...tis indeed a slipperly slope to McDojo hell...

I guess where I live its much more commmon to have martial arts training. I don't have to deal with the stupid questions when I talk about it. Lucky me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 12:02pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp
    Someday you and your friends will discover ***** and no longer need to have these gay-ass circle-jerks.
    Well, I don't know about you, but I talk to my friends and co-workers about my training. It's not about showing off...it's just talking, something that civilized people often do I guess. Conversation can start from everything from the gym bag that I carry, to the bruises on my body. I do it sometimes as a way to know something about other practicioners, instructors and schools. The martial arts aren't that big in here so there's always the curiosity to know about other styles and schools. Maybe my thread was misunderstood or something, because I don't go on showing off every chance I get...but sometimes people wanna know more about what you're doing and after a couple of explanations you CAN do something to show what your style is all about.

I have heard about that so called "*****", but you know, my momma never let's me out ! But I'm hoping I'll grow out to be just like you!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 12:06pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    I recommend hitting puberty first.
    Hitting puberty? What do I know, I'm only 4 and a half years old!:sad3:

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 12:13pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The grappling bruises on the inside of my arms, the stickfighting bruises on my hands and elbow, and the kickboxing bruises on my shins, thighs and face tend to lead people to asking "What the **** happened to you? Were you in a car wreck?" Which often leads into the whole martial arts discussion.

I tend not to bring up the whole issue, but if they press me on it, I just tell them that I train in a couple of different things. If they are persistent and ask, "So what is it you actually do?" I tell them that I whack people with sticks, sock them in the face, and toss them on their heads. Just for fun.

That usually puts an end to the conversation, with some kind of comment on their part to the effect that "That doesn't sound like a very fun hobby to me."

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you put it that way, it is a bit different than "HaI, HOw DO BUsT A pHAt MOvE TO ImPreSS ppL??" My co-workers know MA is my hobby too. If they want to see, they can come to a practice. This is the same mentality that can lead to drunken kung-fu with your friends. Let it go.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RNC

If you really want to impress, RNC while they try and stop you.
    Then explain to them in the 8 seconds of consciousness they have left how they can breathe just fine because you're not cutting off the air, you're cutting....oh crap, passed out...
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 2:22pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    We're even in talks to start offering a kids' mixed TKD/Jiu-jitsu class so we can use the soccer moms to help subsidize things for the people that want to train more seriously. OH THE HUMANITY I'M TRAINING AT A FUTURE MCDOJO AND I DON'T EVEN FEEL BAD ABOUT IT!
    We're planning on having intermediate belts between white and yellow (or whatever) in the kid classes. The idea was to keep the little brats interested (all of whom are the children of blue+ guys in the school).
    Of course now we have our own school, my instructor only teaches, does privates and some personal training and quit his "real" job. Probably worth it.

The funny part is even though they do it in the rest of our affiliation, none of us adults have any idea of what stripe we'd be.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 2:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say I'm too d34dly to show them anything and then I kick myself in the head like Wee Man from Jackass The Movie......

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 2:59pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's drinking PBR.

Therefore he must be cool.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123