Sponsored Links Spacer Image

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have indeed been called out. I wish I had a vid camera...

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mansfield
    Hey Johnny Boy, remember me?
    You called me out to train or spar with you at your gym.
    Good news, I'm heading down your way on business and I would like to come down and do a little friendly sparring. You in?
    I'll PM you again cause last time you called me out, you forgot to send me your gym address and a time to meet you.

I'll be down April 18th to th 29th.
    Oh, and by the way your description was a little vague"I'm the big guy wailing on the heavy bag" :new_puppy
    I'm happy that you're a heavy weight ,I hate those little fast Bastards that I can't catch.

P.S. almost 1300 posts, you must be training real hard, But I'll try to get myself ready for the challenge!

Gerry Mansfield

Uh.. ok. I must have missed this and I never got a PM from ya about it. But yeah, I'm very in. I'm 6'4 290 so that will sure make you happy. My coach is pretty strict about who can fight but you have boxing experiance so he should be ok with it. If not I know some guys at my bjj place do Vale Tudo style matches so no worries. I'll send you a PM with my gym and email.

and actually your 'burn' does get to me since I haven't been able to train all week. Gotta love exchange problems. But you made my day.

Edit:
    PM = sent
    Last edited by PirateJon; 3/24/2006 11:00am at .
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 11:05am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    You beat me to it! DOH! :eusa_doh:
    Proclaim my awesomeness.

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 11:06am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe he challenged you under another name. He has admitted to having a previous username on here.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 1:26pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, he was the guy that was saying how bag work can damage your brain. I did indeed make the offer to check me out when he said I was doing bag work wrong.

I'll believe it when I see him in the ring, but giving the benifit of the doubt stepping up puts him above 99% of the peeps out there. Should be fun.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 2:56pm

Style: BJJ/ Judo/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD Vs. Boxing and BJJ,
    I see this happening:

Boxing/BJJ on top of course,

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 3:00pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bitch, I'm a liger!

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    3/25/2006 9:45am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hard to post after a tiger picture like that one.....

The only thing that really bugs me about the recent UFC series is this desire to be "exciting" and "entertaining" to not have "boring" fights. This seems to be interpreted by the fighters and promoter as fights with lots of wild punching and not much clinch work or ground work.

A desire to be entertaining smacks of the WWE and will encourage working/faking of fights.

Examples of the bad calls in recent UFC matches are things like fighters who are being agressive in the clinch up against the fence but are getting seperated and put back in the centre of the ring. Ground games are being stood up after only a couple of seconds. What this allows is for guys who are good kickboxers to win fights by just learning how to stall on the ground and get the stand up.

I have been to a lot of MMA events in the last year and the UFC ones have been the least exciting, because I am not there to watch kickboxing. I want to see complete fighters.

Now there have been some UFC fights that go through all phases of combat in an exciting fashion (Durkson vs Marqhart (sp?)) was one that I really liked. But the majority are simply kickboxing matches.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2006 8:54pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I 100% agree with what Askari said. Subs take time - and sometimes a bit of patience - to set up against a skilled opponent. Standing the fighters up so quickly makes UFC a little too close to kickboxing to me.

I guess that's the price I have to pay to have it on Spike.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    3/26/2006 1:19am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari

The only thing that really bugs me about the recent UFC series is this desire to be "exciting" and "entertaining" to not have "boring" fights. This seems to be interpreted by the fighters and promoter as fights with lots of wild punching and not much clinch work or ground work.
    I disagree about the "wild punching". It seems to me that a refined striking game is more important than ever in today's MMA and "wild punching" often gets a fighter knocked out.

Examples of the bad calls in recent UFC matches are things like fighters who are being agressive in the clinch up against the fence but are getting seperated and put back in the centre of the ring.

Ground games are being stood up after only a couple of seconds. What this allows is for guys who are good kickboxers to win fights by just learning how to stall on the ground and get the stand up.
    Can you name some specific instances? I can't. Just to be sure I watched the last two UFCs (57 & 58) I had recorded on my Tivo. Fighters are typically separated after 30-45 of almost complete inactivity when up against the cage and are rarely brought back up from the ground without at least a full minute going by. That's 20% of the entire round. Fights where at least one fighter is actively attempting to strike, submit, or improve his position are kept on the ground.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    3/26/2006 7:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think a lot of the recent stand-up's so to speak in the UFC are more related to the general parity in jiu-jitsu / grappling skill that most athletes have now as compared to the last few years. Wrestlers like Hughes have good submission and sub defences besides just slams and GnP. And BJJ BB's like BJ Penn and Kenny Florian have excellent striking games. Between striking and grappling it seems easier for good grappling to neutralize each other, where as striking causes damage no matter what when a good hit lands and it becomes a matter of who can damage the other person more and can withstand more damage.

Case in point BJ wasn't able to do anything against GSP on the ground and had a lot more success against him striking.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast