Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 5:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    What fights have you heard that were "worked"? It has been a while but I read in the book "No Holds Barred: Ultimate Fighting and the Martial Arts Revoluition" by Clyde Gentry, that there is no direct evidence of a worked fight ever having occured in UFC.... BUT, that there was indirect evidence of a possible work in one of the fights back in the early days. I can't now remeber which fight Gentry said but I think your right in that it was essentially and agreement between two fighters where one may have had a broken hand or something.

Anyone else remeber this entry from the book or know of any other "worked" UFC fights?
    I got my information from No Holds Barred. I don't have the book with me right now, so I can't quote directly, but as I remember Don Frye and a fighter named Mark Hall were scheduled to meet in the second round of UU 96. Frye's manager or trainer somehow convinced Hall to take a dive so Frye would be fresh for the finals against Tank Abbott.

Hall tapped out to a leg lock 20 seconds into the first round.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 5:28pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Injuries were more severe and the possability of internal injury due to pressure point striking with penetration was hard to analise.
    Oh no he didn't...

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did some quick googling and found a site with an uncredited article detailing the whole Frye vs. Hall thing. If it isn't lifted directly out of Gentry's book, I'd be suprised.

Frye and Hall and fought each other prior in UFC, with Frye winning, and they had also fought each other at the U-Japan event a couple of weeks earlier, with Frye winning that fight as well. However, although Frye would be the clear favourite to win that fight, Hall had a tendency to be a tough guy that wouldn't give up, and would give someone a war.

The story gets interesting here. Frye was exhausted from the Goodridge fight, which took a lot out of him. He would then have to fight Hall, a match that would probably also go long, and then if he won that, he would face Tank Abbott in the finals, as Tank had knocked out alternate Steve Nelmark in spectacular fashion, dropping Nelmark with a big glove that crumpled Nelmark's body against the fence, in the second round.

Mark Hall, like Frye, was also managed by Robert DePersia. Hall claims that he was approached by both DePersia and Frye backstage and asked to take a dive for Frye, keeping Frye fresh for Tank Abbott in the finals. Hall claims he was guaranteed some of Frye's purse money for doing the job. Frye ended up submitting Hall in 20 seconds with a leglock.

What's interesting about this story is that there are no holes, and you can't prove the story or disprove it either way. The fight was too quick to tell whether or not it was worked. Frye is not a leglock guy, and has never won a fight before or after so quickly with a leglock. But he was working on leglocks before the fight. I interviewed Frye earlier this year, and he told me that if the fight was worked, then DePersia and Hall made that agreement without Frye knowing it. That's also entirely possible, as, for example, it's widely believed that Ken Shamrock's fight againt Minoru Suzuki in Pancrase where Shamrock lost the King of Pancrase title to Suzuki was a worked match where Shamrock was asked to take a dive without Suzuki knowing it. To this day Suzuki believes he won that match fair and square. Frye could have easily won a worked match without knowing it was a work, and with only Hall and DePersia being in on it. Hall's credibility is also very low, and he could easily be lying about the whole incident. An interesting question is, why would Frye use a leglock on Hall, but come out and fight Tank Abbott standing up later in the night when leglocking Tank would have been much easier? But it's almost an airtight case, and no one outside of the three of Frye, Hall and DePersia will ever know the whole truth.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 6:20pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Injurieswere more severe and the possability of internal injury due to pressure point striking with penetration was hard to analise.
    Oh no he didn't...
    You beat me to it! DOH! :eusa_doh:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    Long before you joined there were separate TMA and MMA forums. They were merged because it was a needless distinction to everyone who trained properly. If you want a forum dedicated to tabi-wearing sillyness you can go... pretty much anywhere else.
    This is so true and needs to be quoted. Definitely needs to be heard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 6:59pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

are you kidding me?

[QUOTE=PirateJon]
    How the hell could you take this seriously?

Hey Johnny Boy, remember me?
    You called me out to train or spar with you at your gym.
    Good news, I'm heading down your way on business and I would like to come down and do a little friendly sparring. You in?
    I'll PM you again cause last time you called me out, you forgot to send me your gym address and a time to meet you.

I'll be down April 18th to th 29th.
    Oh, and by the way your description was a little vague"I'm the big guy wailing on the heavy bag" :new_puppy
    I'm happy that you're a heavy weight ,I hate those little fast Bastards that I can't catch.

P.S. almost 1300 posts, you must be training real hard, But I'll try to get myself ready for the challenge!

Gerry Mansfield

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 7:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Gerry Mansfield]
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon

Hey Johnny Boy, remember me?
    You called me out to train or spar with you at your gym.
    Good news, I'm heading down your way on business and I would like to come down and do a little friendly sparring. You in?
    I'll PM you again cause last time you called me out, you forgot to send me your gym address and a time to meet you.

I'll be down April 18th to th 29th.
    Oh, and by the way your description was a little vague"I'm the big guy wailing on the heavy bag" :new_puppy
    I'm happy that you're a heavy weight ,I hate those little fast Bastards that I can't catch.

P.S. almost 1300 posts, you must be training real hard, But I'll try to get myself ready for the challenge!

Gerry Mansfield
    ?
    Who Gary Mansfield?
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 8:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And can we get it on video?

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 8:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this a challenge or have I read it wrong?
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 4:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting place. Everyone has their rank displayed and tries to write Japanese at one another.

--J.D.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast