Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 2:22am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    You don't think Kyokushin can work ?

You don't think it turns out decent full contact fighters ?
    You've obviously earned your title.
    Kyokushin is, as has already been said, perhaps the best of the karate styles. But ****, it still can't hold half a candle to muay thai or boxing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 3:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin, bjj blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So if you are so convinced that kyokushin is ****, go and look for yourself. You have at least 2 clubs near you:

Klubb: Kristiansund Karate Klubb Kyokushinkai
    Adresse: Jonsoklia 4, 6523 FREI
    Internett: Hjemmeside
    Fylke: Møre og Romsdal

Klubb: Nidaros Karate Klubb
    Adresse: Gamle Oslovei 89B, 7024 Trondheim
    Fylke: Sør-Trøndelag

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 4:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey thanks for the replies people.

Yeah, I've seen some of the websites that were posted, but you can't really gauge much from looking at them. Just wanted to see if there was any people on this board that could give me an inside opinion on some places in perth.

Yeah, i'm in Shelley which is SOR, but if the school is good, i'll obviously travel.

Although I like the look of Kyokushin from the demos I've seen, I really want something where I don't have to stand there doing forms. Even though I understand the benefits, so much emphasis was put on them at my previous school that I am extremely tired with the whole thing.

What really annoys me is that my brother took up boxing, and was sparring in 3 weeks!! 3 weeks!!!! 1 year of 3 nights a week and nothing more than some partner drills. :angry2: not to mention the "fighting is for losers/sparring is low level/any idiot can punch and kick but this is a thinking style/weight-lifting is bad/real combat can't be had in the ring" garbage.

Man, I'd take up boxing if I was allowed to use my legs, knees and elbows.

I really don't care what style it is, as long as there is some actual fighting going on, and I get to use other limbs, and maybe if they incorporate grappling.

Thanks.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 5:30am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take up MT. And please, feel free to troll _ing _un threads endlessly. I can tell you there is no higher calling.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 6:28am

supporting member
     Style: Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by namaste

I really don't care what style it is, as long as there is some actual fighting going on, and I get to use other limbs, and maybe if they incorporate grappling.

Thanks.
    If you're in Shelly then the BJJ place in Cannington is about 5 minutes drive away (its 10 at the most from Willetton where I am). Their BJJ and Vale Tudo classes are pretty good. Also, I believe thai boxing is taught there on the days they don't have grappling, so you're set either way.
    Last edited by Halogen; 3/24/2006 6:35am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2006 8:46pm

Style: Moo Thai & Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Halogen
    If you're in Shelly then the BJJ place in Cannington is about 5 minutes drive away (its 10 at the most from Willetton where I am). Their BJJ and Vale Tudo classes are pretty good. Also, I believe thai boxing is taught there on the days they don't have grappling, so you're set either way.
    I train there (BJJ and Vale Tudo). It is good. Its also reasonably priced.
    Saturdays are open mat (12:00 - 2:30) so you can do what you like.
    It's on Kent St Cannington, off Albany Highway. They do Kickboxing there as well which is seperate.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    3/25/2006 10:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjelva
    Kyokushin is, as has already been said, perhaps the best of the karate styles. But ****, it still can't hold half a candle to muay thai or boxing.

Bullshit it can't. Your wrong there.

I've done boxing before and I used to think the same thing. Untill I actually started to train in Kyokushin Karate and had my mind changed very quickly. But I would still say Kyokushin is more than a match for boxing. More than a match easily. As for Muay Thai, many Kyokushin fighters from Japan have regular tournaments against Thailands top Muay Thai fighters. Kyokushin does not score straight wins all the time but they do very well, I can tell you.

And by the way they are the only style to step up and do this.

And I can think of no other martial art apart from Kyokushin which has its fighters go through a 40 man kumite. Now thats 40 full contact fights each lasting for 2 minutes, one after the other bang,bang,bang.

In fact you show me the Muai Thai fighter who did a 100 man kumite. I don't think you can. Because there have been a few in Kyokushin who have done it.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 3/25/2006 10:51pm at .
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2006 5:57am

Style: ninja-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you gave up wing chun because you did not spar?? and because you are doing forms all the time.
    if you did not haev the basics in the first place, do you have anything to use against your opponent in a spar? you would probably be kick-boxing.
    or perhaps, your wing chun school is crap. the instructor is just wasting time and squeezing more money out of your wallet.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    3/26/2006 10:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjelva
    Considering the history of muay thai vs kyokushin matches, I'd have to say Hannibal's actually on the mark here. Dismissing kyokushin as an art below muay thai wouldn't be very wise.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2006 1:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddy
    Considering the history of muay thai vs kyokushin matches, I'd have to say Hannibal's actually on the mark here. Dismissing kyokushin as an art below muay thai wouldn't be very wise.
    True enough, the very best kyokushinka can compete with the very best muay thai fighters.
    That's not to say that the average level of people who practice muay thai isn't lightyears ahead of their kyokushin peers, however.
    Besides, the kyokushinka in question train specifically for these matchups. I think it would be fair to say their training bears little resemblance to traditional kyokushin karate.

Hannibal is still an idiot, though. Kyokushinka are far from the only ones who have competed in Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by rebici
    So if you are so convinced that kyokushin is ****, go and look for yourself. You have at least 2 clubs near you:
    You fail at geography. Kristiansund is a three hour drive. The other club is in town, so I may stop by it some time.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast