Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 1:14pm

Style: Hung Ga Gung Fu + Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoratioHooah
    I know I may not be the individual addressed, but...

Which grip are you trying to break? I'm assuming that your opponent is playing the same side you are, so your problem is their sleeve grip, the classic way to break that is to bend your arm so your fist is pointing up to remove slack, then slap their hand off. Punching your hand to the space over their same side shoulder (if it's your left arm, punch over the left shoulder), and then quickly pulling your arm back has also proven useful to me.

If you are trying to get the lapel grip off, grabbing my own lapel under their grip with my left hand, and then, for lack of a better term, "palm striking" their gripping hand off with my right hand works pretty well for me.

And about that stiff arm...

Are they actually stiff arming you, or are they just controlling you and/or blocking you?

If they're actually stiff arming you, they're probably pushing you backwards a bit. Lay a dei ashi harai or hiza garuma on them. When you take that slight back pivot/turn, their stiff arm will probably follow and give you wonderful kuzushi.

One more thing: what did your instructor say?

They are blocking me essentially because the stiff arm prevents me from getting in close enough to pull off any techniques.

I'm gonna try all the stuff you guys have suggested so far. I don't know alot of the techniques some of you have mentioned but I'll look em up and ask my sensei about it.

All Out of Bubblegum

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 6:37pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Part of that is probably your counter game. If he's just holding you off, period, that's not really that big of a deal - he's not doing anything else either, conserve energy, let him thrash around with a tight upper body, and wait for him to tire or pause.

If he's holding you off AND trying techniques, you still have counter opportunities.

Is the specific guy doing this to you someone doing with what you'd call attribute based fighting? I know there's guys in my dojo that can barely work a technique on me properly when we do open round robin because I have such longer arms and so much upper body strength on them it just isn't going to happen until they have more judo. There are also people I can't enter and throw in open randori because they are just too much faster then me . . . I'm gonna need more judo.

If that's the case, don't beat yourself up over it, just approach it as a puzzle you can learn from.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 3/24/2006 6:41pm at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 7:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is basically just bigger and stronger (for now) than me. My judo during the last session was very weak because I hadn't done randori in 3 months. Still the stiff is problem to me and I want to make sure it doesn't bother me ever again.

Whenever he stiff arms me there is no Judo going on at all, its just a standstill and to me it seems like a waste of valuable time.

He every once in a while just tugs me with a tight upper body like you said but never attacks directly. It's only when I get impatient and try to throw him is when he gets me. But I can't pull-off a technique because of the damn stiff arm.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 9:51pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by parthenon
    They are blocking me essentially because the stiff arm prevents me from getting in close enough to pull off any techniques.

I'm gonna try all the stuff you guys have suggested so far. I don't know alot of the techniques some of you have mentioned but I'll look em up and ask my sensei about it.
    Omega, when he posted the above, how do you think that he is going to pull of a standing arm lock or a flying arm bar?????
    He needs to grip fight and learn to move to do Judo.......

Motorboatin SOB

Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/25/2006 3:47am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    This thread gives me a headache. Nobody has used the simplist answer yet. Joint lock their arm. Ask your instructor how to do it. If he doesn't know fire him and get a new one.

No seriously, lock their fucking arm out drag their ass down. You can overhook it, underhook it, blade cut his wrist, thumb peel his thumb, duck under his arm after loosening your gi.
    I am going to say that while these can work, I don't see them being very effective against someone who is already better at grip fighting. When people are stiff arming they aren't keep their elbows locked the whole time. Also, they usually have two grips on you, not one.

Loosening your gi in judo is a penalty if I recall.

One of the easiers things I have seen is reacing and getting a lower grip on thier lapel. When you go in for the throw pull in with your arm and make a flapping motion with it to break the stiff arm and get you in place where you can throw.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Motorboatin SOB

Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/25/2006 3:49am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't ask your instructor about a flying arm bar. He will look at you like you are retarded. Ask him the best way to break the guys grip. he is there, he knows a **** load more about judo than me and most everyone else on this thread besides possibly Omega.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2006 4:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I don't think a flying armbar is a good idea especially since I am a judo NOOB. I'm gonna try and break their grip off my lapel by peeling their thumb off and then grabbing their wrist as to prevent them from getting another grip and then with my other arm (the one grabbing their lapel) shoving my elbow on top of theirs to bend their arm and then going in for a throw.

Whaddya you all say to that?

Edit

Sorry if someone had already suggested this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2006 5:06am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by parthenon
    I'm gonna try and break their grip off my lapel by peeling their thumb off and then grabbing their wrist as to prevent them from getting another grip and then with my other arm
    Be careful with your peeling the thumb idea. You're not allowed to grab individual digits.

I'm also not so sure about giving up a the grip on the elbow to go for the wrist. Ask your instructor to show you how to grip the sleeve to remove the slack to better control your opponent.

All Out of Bubblegum

Achievements:

Posted On:
    3/25/2006 11:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache

What about pushing on the elbow as you push up?
    Come on omega I was pretty close.

Also IRT greese: Loosening your gi on purpose or wearing one that doesn't fit is bad news, but you won't get in any trouble if it sort of . . . "works loose" ;)

IRT Parthenon: Peeling the thumb is bad news. In addition to being illegal, it might take you more then four seconds.

Try to get low on the guy. I'm finding out a lot of the "stiff arm" is better, lower, solider stance in general.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 3/25/2006 12:03pm at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

All Out of Bubblegum

Achievements:

Posted On:
    3/25/2006 12:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    Omega, when he posted the above, how do you think that he is going to pull of a standing arm lock or a flying arm bar?????
    He needs to grip fight and learn to move to do Judo.......
    A standing armlock isn't going to be a fight ender for a newb but it could break the grip.

RE: The flying armbar, I wasn't wholly serious when I said it either, it was a green pasture comment along the lines of "just jump-kick him in the face" in a striking thread. It's like suggesting a threesome - if they say "yes" then it wasn't a joke, other wise, har har har.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast