Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 2:54am

Style: Hung Ga Gung Fu + Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Mongo can you enlighten me on some good grip breaking techniques? I am a total noob in Judo so pardon my tardness.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 3:08am

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Push the stiff arm straight up, close and clinch. Take the back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 3:09am

Style: Getting mounted

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    Yeah its morote gari but a double leg when getting a judo stiff arm will get you choked out because of the gi. I'm not knocking on the double leg but its bad when new guys start to rely upon it instead of actually learning to grip fight and break the other person's balance. Double legs also have a bad tendency to not work well on experienced Judoka (my experience)

And nerveasian, the danger of snapping your body back is your movement can be capitalized on because it somes very close to breaking your own balance.
    Call me a risk taker. :qmickey: Seriously, though, that is a concern, but when I'm working against a stiff-arm I'm usually looking for seoi nage or koshi guruma (I'm working on harai goshi and uchi mata, but seeing as how I'm a n00b these are still kind of sketchy for me) so I just need to pop it out of the way long enough for my entry. Say some thug is using his right arm on my left lapel to stiff-arm me. What usually happens with my kuzushi is that his arm stays stiff and his grip remains on the same spot on my lapel, but I pull his right fist over my left shoulder for kuzushi, which also has the effect of sliding my gi out of my belt.

The only time I ever tried to shoot in on someone during randori was against a former Olympian and pan-African Champion. As I recall, he just sort of effortlessly shrugged me off of his thighs and onto my back. Of course, nothing anyone does ever seems to work on him.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I'm having a hard time imagining how you would get choked by dropping into a shot. Could you go into a little more depth on this?

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dai Tenshi
    Bwahaha...this is getting tried ASAP. Probably no chance for ippon with a suplex, but I'd be mighty pleased with myself if I could pull it off.
    Last edited by nerveasian; 3/23/2006 3:13am at .

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 3:22am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tani otoshi is almost always available. I am such a whore.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 3:51am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by parthenon
    Hey Mongo can you enlighten me on some good grip breaking techniques? I am a total noob in Judo so pardon my tardness.
    I know I may not be the individual addressed, but...

Which grip are you trying to break? I'm assuming that your opponent is playing the same side you are, so your problem is their sleeve grip, the classic way to break that is to bend your arm so your fist is pointing up to remove slack, then slap their hand off. Punching your hand to the space over their same side shoulder (if it's your left arm, punch over the left shoulder), and then quickly pulling your arm back has also proven useful to me.

If you are trying to get the lapel grip off, grabbing my own lapel under their grip with my left hand, and then, for lack of a better term, "palm striking" their gripping hand off with my right hand works pretty well for me.

And about that stiff arm...

Are they actually stiff arming you, or are they just controlling you and/or blocking you?

If they're actually stiff arming you, they're probably pushing you backwards a bit. Lay a dei ashi harai or hiza garuma on them. When you take that slight back pivot/turn, their stiff arm will probably follow and give you wonderful kuzushi.

One more thing: what did your instructor say?
    Last edited by HoratioHooah; 3/23/2006 4:06am at .

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 4:23am

supporting memberforum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dai Tenshi
    Keep in mind this is gi competition Dai. Not a horrible idea, but it can be hard when the guy has a big handful of doubleweight gi. Just like dropping for a shoot - you can find yourself hanging from your own clothing before you get low enough.

What about pushing on the elbow as you push up?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 5:37am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they're stiff-arming you from a high collar grip, you can sometimes threaten a standing armbar such as ude-gatame. It doesn't work often as a submission, particularly against experienced players, but it does provide incentive to change grips.

Otherwise, yeah, grip-breaking all the way. You can't get control over him to do anything else while you're being held at arm's length.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 6:18am

supporting memberforum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes you're spinning when this happens, and you can maybe take a knee wheel. I don't think that's good general advice though - wait until you really know a knee wheel, or you could end up getting a warning for kicking him in the knee.

If I had a floating armbar, that's what I'd go for. I'm actually so enamored of the damn things they'll probably become a bad habit . . .
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 3/23/2006 6:20am at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 12:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You won't be doing any throws until you get better grips. If your opponent has the grip he wants then you can't just take whatever's available and attempt to counter him. You need to break his grips and get your own.

Let's say he has both hands on your lapels and his arms stiff. On one side you need to turn your body away and pull your lapel out of his hand while stiff-arming him back on the other side. Then, reach across with the arm on the side you just freed, grab his lapel and open it. Reach over top with the arm on the side still being stiff-armed and grab the lapel over his arm, then bend your elbow into his. This should force him to bend his arm.

If you were doing BJJ you could stop after you freed the first lapel and wristlock him with the other one. My Professor will actually offer his lapel at the start of a match to bait this and it's hilariously effective.

Quote Originally Posted by parthenon
    My above advice now given, this thread is verging on the Forbidden Zone and will be moderated accordingly.
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 3/23/2006 12:27pm at .

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 1:53pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cross side pistol grip against their stiff arm, turn, break, take side, tani otoshi?

Or, overwrap, angle in, knee block or osoto gari?

Maybe just work some grip fighting/grip breaking for awhile. Just focusing on one aspect of the game can really improve it.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast