Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 1:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAB MY WRIST
    Tom, might I enquire as to what sport this huge behemoth participate in?

Emmanuel "Manny" Yarborough is/was a top level Judo/Sumo wrestler. He's 6 foot, 8 inches tall and has weighed in as high as 765 lbs. He is also a former all-american collegiate wrestler. Manny has also competed in NHB events (Pride, UFC).

Frankly, if it didn't turn out that Manny has a glass jaw, he would have been, in my opinion, one of the scariest and most entertaining competitors ever to enter the octagon.

An interesting story: Many years ago in another lifetime, I entered a Judo competition (don't remember: at least I think it was Judo - I was young - I remember going the distance and losing on points). At the weigh-in, I realized I squeaked by a close one when I came within 2 ounces of being in Manny's weight division. I had to sit down for a minute or so to regain some composure.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 1:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    I sit corrected!
    :toothy6:

Best description of Sumo is from a British critic of televised matches. No matter how well the presenters explain it for a British audience, "it still looks like two fat boys fighting over a chocolate."

--J.D.

LOL.

I've seen it exactly once, but Sumo actually has other weight divisions besides "open". I remember all the matches being very exciting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 5:08pm

Style: Koei-Kan, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    If anyone tries to do a sankyo like the seen in elnyka's post in a decent, he's going to hear a big NO NO.

In that pic Uke is not controlled in any way: he can escape easily with only pointing down his elbow. Tori has his thumb in a bad place and what is worst, he's doing the tecnnique single handed and without putting any pressure on uke nor taking his balance.

As GMW said, they probably are doing some show for fun.

Here's another pic of a single handed sankyo, but you can see how tori is locking uke's hand with his chest and uke's elbow with his arm while putting pressure on uke's body and preparing his right hand fist to punch for "t3h win".

enjoy:

I agree that the pic was probably for fun, but a lot of times, those "for fun" pictures are indicative of what is really being taught.

Your picture of Saito Sensei is a great example and you are right on with what he is doing. However, the only reason he's doing it single handed is because he is preparing his atemi. You know that uke is not going to be in that position for more than a second. He is on the way up, and once he gets up and hit, he's coming down flat on his face. The big thing is that Saito has control by using his body. Good post DCS.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2006 11:42pm

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    This is t3h r3@l sankyo, yes? DCS, what I notice most is his clenched right fist... I'd sure hope his uke protect his face properly. Fist into chin/eye socket/temple is not fun, not fun at all. I can also imagine after the atemi, it is a quick take down followed by a ude hineri lock. Anyway, thanks DCS... it is a good picture of how sankyo should be done.

Anyway I speculate this is how my dojo's nidan took down his extortionist. The atemi part is very important.

Grab My Wrist.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 1:06am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The atemi part is very important.
    I fully support the hitting of ppl.

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 10:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is t3h r3@l sankyo, yes?
    No, it's only one possibility.

But as single handed sankyo is waaay better than the pic elnyka posted.

Anyway I speculate this is how my dojo's nidan took down his extortionist. The atemi part is very important.
    The atemi is the most important part of this technique.

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 12:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back on topic :)

Another small joint manipulation pic:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 6:18am

Style: hung gar - self taught

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 'sco
    @kickcatcher: I dunno if that first pic can be beaten, but...

http://www.geocities.com/menifeekajukenbo/img012.jpg
    What joint is she after here???
    That's no join manipulation, but painful all the same. Note a respectable tiger claw can bruise, if not rip skin. I don't care who you are that's not fun for your unborn children!

Quote Originally Posted by Cymro
    It's amazing. Apparently when you get a grip on someone's finger, they completely forget about their other limbs and just crumble. I've never seen anything like that.

Wow.
    I agree but to be fair the human body has a system that prevents joint injury that everybody has no matter how much of a b4d 455 you are (like how your brain will shut down from lack of blood flow in the same way no matter how tough you are). Still i think the more important issue here is when the **** does this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Green
    I think this is the big danger in training self-defence without hard sparring. Even if you give in and let people say that it doesn't help skill wise, people that don't train hard in a contact sport very often have a very skewed idea of what the human body is capable of taking before a person gives out. A broken finger isn't going to stop anyone, all it will do is make them really mad...
    I have played many years of rugby and have never personally experienced or known someone who broke something without noticing. This is not to say that adreniline doesn't help you push through the pain, i ran the entire length of a field once with a broken collarbone... i couldn't put the ball down though, body wouldn't allow it (it was very ambarrassing!). My experience is that only a very drunk or a very primitive (you all know the type i'm talking about) person would simply be enraged by a broken digit. I can see where you're coming from though and respect your opinion, you may well be right.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 9:46am

Style: Yang style Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, people ignore broken fingers all the time. When I was about 17, my cousin and I wwere doing some yardwork, and he accidentally broke my finger with a hammer while we were fixing a gate.

I damn near killed him. :)
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567