Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 12:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Instead of blaming the stance...work on defending the hook.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 1:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    what is the difference?
    Not much. We don't bash shin on shin though, as we feel we might as well be playing Russian Rulett. We aim to hit the foor with the knee (for a roundhouse), or the foot with the outer edge of the foor (front kick). If they're close enough for a shin kick, the knee is aimed at the thigh, just above the knee. That's about it.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    If done correct... no can defend.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 2:04pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Use a stance that keeps your best weapons in play, and one that allows you to use your most effective defense.

My best weapons are jab, right cross, Thai round kick, and front push kick. What this translates to for me is a fairly standard boxing/Thai stance, facing forward, with a little less hunch than a real hook puncher. Both my hands remain in play, allowing for the jabs, crosses, and hooks if need be. I stay back a bit more rather than leaning forward too much in a hunch, to allow for good extension on the cross. The forward facing stance lets me throw front push and round kicks with either leg.

Defensively, both hands can be used to catch and deflect punches. I can slip to either side, and check kicks with either leg.

Now if I had been shorter, and more of a hook puncher, I'd probably hunch a bit more to help with bob and weave defense and attack with close range circular hooks and elbows. If I was a side kicker/lead blaster, I'd face a little more sideways, relying on quick footwork to control range for both offense and defense.

Just do what works for you. Figure out your best offensive and defensive techniques, and pick a stance that is least likely to compromise those aspects of your game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2006 9:18pm

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    I'm Not saying that the JF stance is useless. The times I've tried it, it works wonders, keeping my opponent constantly guessing whats next. That usually opens them up for a shot or two. I just haven't worked out what to do beyond that.

Hooks are hell diffcult to block. I might consider slipping just out of range, but i'm not that good yet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2006 12:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bagua / Xingyi / JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are using the JF / JKD stance you really need to have all the theory and techniques that go with it (the strikes that the stance facilitates, footwork, evasiveness, concepts of interception, stop hits etc). Do you have a teacher? Mark Stewart is in Singapore (ijkd.com)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234