Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Kung fu book

Style
    Still Searching
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kung fu book

Hey, I'm new to martial arts and, unfortunatly, the city i live in isn't real big into MA so i'm still searching for a teacher. I did, however, get a book called "The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu" by Wong Kiew Kit. If anyone can give me some incite as to whether this book is going to be useful it would be great.

thanks

Style
    Wing Chun, JKD, Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The book is too general in my opinion. A better but more expensive book is The Shaolin Grandmasters' Text
    But you cannot learn Kung Fu from any book. Books just supplement your training.

Style
    Sanda, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't learn any martial arts from books.

They can be supplements when you're ALREADY training with a well qualified instructor, nothing more.

And forget Shaolin Kung Fu, the majority of it is nothing but communist gymnastics these days.

Style
    Still Searching
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, i'm not a complete fool. I know i cant actually learn the art from the book, but i figured it might be good to get some background.

Style
    I know Kung Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its nice for the forms. But thats about that. I too do shaolin Kung fu and the problem is this.

The applications are based on a opponent that either only attacks once. Or the opponent has a 5 second reaction time.
    Some do work, the only catch is, you need to have some background in MA to know which may work and which definately won't.

Look out for the trapping applications though. Aka Catching an opponent's arm/leg In mid attack. Those tend to be the most effective and useful parts of TCMA. But like i said, you need some background to know if something you see is totally crap or a viable defense option.

IMHO, Go to a martial arts school/dojo/gym.Learning from a book isn't the way to go, no matter what you want to train in. I'd strongly recommend something along the lines of MMA, Kickboxing, Muay thai. Why? Cause from my exprience, The majority of TMA dojos are utter BS, Sadly most KF schools fall under this catergory. I'd rather you learn something you can actually use.

There are some kickass KF schools and practioners. We have a few of them right here at bullshido. Don't mess with them.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM Join us... or die
    Style
    Fucking Prost
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps a general "Where Be Good Place to Train t3h D34dly Skilz" thread should be in the "newbie" section? This for people who are looking for a decent place to train such and such. Unless, Cheddar you live in an utter cultural waste land, like Des Moines [Stop that.--Ed.], there should be "something" within driving distance.

Anyways, if you list the "what you want" from a martial art with an idea of your general location, posters might be able to steer you in the correct direction.

--J.D.

Style
    Still Searching
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    alright, thanx thats the input i needed. yeah well see my town doesnt have many good dojos and such so i did find a ninjitsu place im going to take a look at. I definatly plan on taking something more practical when i go to college in a year.

Style
    Still Searching
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh yeah lol i did take some american karate when i was about 6. Now that i look back on it i realize it was utter crap. I"m considering taking JKD during college

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM Join us... or die
    Style
    Fucking Prost
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you check out the "ninja school" [Stop laughing.--Ed.] you would do well to ask some of the guys HERE who practice the legitimate elements of what is thrown in the rather expanding bag of "ninjutsu." They may know if it be a MacDojo and/or whether or not the guy teaches Bullshido.

Also, if you give your basic area--particularly when you go to college--posters can make suggestions/offer warnings.

--J.D.

Style
    Still Searching
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanx, well i wont be in college for a little over a year because im only a junior. where would you suggest i post my area and such.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last