Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 7:07pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, Hakama != Bullshido, many true and tested Japanese system require Hakama as part of the standard Uniform. When you spar you just pull it up.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 7:35pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When will people get it? I mean if you say you're a hockey player and you've been doing it for a while you're libal to trip over a few Canadians and French Canadians in your history. Why is it that this genius found the only American masters to train with. Not that there is anything wrong with that but then come clean and say what it really is.

TKD

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 7:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But he has t3h d34dly samurai sword!!

Not to mention the Magic Pants [Of Doom.--Ed.]

Kagekaze:

Indeed . . . indeed . . . indeed. How anal are Japanese? The dan certificates I have--and most I have seen from other Japanese/Okinawan organizations have "half a seal" in the corner so you could, potentially, match the certificate to a "Big Ass Book" that records the details to confirm the actual piece of paper is legitimate. Years ago, when in Okinawa, a few people were testing for various grades--I was not which allowed me to complain about "how they have lowered the standards" . . . until my next test--and they dug out the Big Ass Books to look up everyone to make sure they met minimum "time in grade" for the grade they were testing.

When an asshat claimed "shihan" status in my parent organization--you need to be a godan--the response to an inquiry was basically, "we gave up looking after we could not find him in the Sandan books." The clown quickly dropped claims he even had a nidan. A guy who heads a similar organization likes to joke, "they should learn about computers" to "house" these records.

So . . . as you say . . . if this asshat had any legitimacy, it would be there. This is why there ARE no pictures of his certificates, no registration numbers . . . nothing.

I see I am ranting to the choir.

--J.D.

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 8:59pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh look blog.

http://www.yachigusaryu.com/blog/index.html

Great. Thanks.

Here follows an excerpt.

Quote Originally Posted by Moro's student Spencer
    Given the querulous nature of martial artists, this blog will not be opened up for comments at this time. If you wish to email us feedback, or especially questions, we will publish or address them--provided they are courteous. Gary can be reached at YachigusaRyu@aol.com I can be reached at tsburns18@hotmail.com
    Read: some people will question where the instructor got his qualifications, and we cannot allow this line of question into the public domain. People might suspect something is amiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Moro
    Lastly, I like to consider myself as a very open and honest person (emphasis mine). Traits that have often times come back to kick me in the ass, since Iíll tell others what I believe, not necessarily what they want to hear.
    Really? We have questions we'd like him to answer openly, say in the public domain, and honestly if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Moro
    To make things worse I often tend to express myself in a manner that lacks a sense of tact or diplomacy. However, in my defense, I wont say or write something about anyone else that I wouldnít say directly to his or her face, or make comments about others I have never met in person (something that has been done repeatedly to me).
    I can respect that to a degree. The best I can do is invite him to the fun of Bullshido, so I will email a link to this thread to Mr Moro. The part I have trouble is not commenting on people I've never met. Sounds fine on the face of things- but then I have never met Vladimar Putin, but know he holds a jujutsu nidan, and
    once was a member of the KGB. These are documented facts on the basis of which I can comment Vladimar Putin is likely a proficient fighter. I don't know him and have never met him. My comment seems valid tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Moro's student Spencer
    I cannot emphasize enough the importance of polite discourse. In truth we all tend to have strong opionins here and speak our minds a bit too clearly.
    A polite man ignores the crass and coarse natures of others, not allowing his distaste to show nor walking away from their discussion. Lets hope our civil friend joins the fun here.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 10:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And Vlad has ICBMs so I wouldn't mess with him either.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 5:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought Wing Chung had defenses against ICBMs. . . . .

--J.D.

P.S. I thought Putin was ranked in Judo?

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 6:31pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Putin#Activities (not the best source of info I know but I didn't want to spend hours looking)

Putan is a Judoka though, has been for a long time. Not that he doesn't train JJ (I don't know) but he is very proud of his Judo and trains daily.

TKD

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 2:32am

Style: I/L, Sayoc, Atienza FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, looking at his blog, I actually don't see much conflict between some of the core philosphy of this forum and some of his opinions. For instance, what he was writing ranting regarding belts and promotions for the sake of business instead of the art...

Maybe Iím old-old-school, but I think the colored belt system and many of their associated ranks were a disastrous innovation in the martial arts. Some systems, such as those that have numerous 15th degree black belts, clearly make me feel as if the once-prized ďblack beltĒ is basically a meaningless symbol.

Worst yet are schools that give 10 year olds, or younger, a black belt. Iím sorry I just think that is so wrong, for so many reasons. I simply donít care how gifted you feel the youngster may happen to be.

I come from a system with no belts or ranks. Never had them. Never had a need for them. My teacher, his father, and their ancestors didnít train to impress others, and if the need arose to show/prove their abilities Iím sure a belt around their waist or piece of paper on the wall wouldnít have been enough to deter or settle the dispute.

The system I was taught was intended for warfare, and certificates, belts, ranks, and awards have little meaning on a battlefield.

Over the years I have been asked countless times how long it takes to get a ďblack beltĒ at my school. Sometimes Iím asked how much it will cost. My answer has always been it takes a few hours, and about $7.00.

No, I donít offer an accelerated course, thatís simply how long it takes me to go to the store and buy one, and the actual amount of money it takes to cover my expenses.

To date no one has taken me up on my offer.

And this...

Sure some of them can break bricks, do cartwheels, and perform aerial highflying kicks that wow audiences, but they couldnít fight or defend themselves against a little old lady. Unfortunately, for traditional martial artists, these practitioners pass these circus acts off as martial arts, since the public isnít really martial art savvy enough to know the difference between what is real and what is fantasy.

What is even more unfortunate is the fact that, because these students can do these flashy techniques and have been awarded rank, they believe they possess real martial skill and get very insulted when one questions their abilities. Distressingly, many of these individuals have an inflated ego to go with their inflated rank.

Sound familiar around from around here?

Now, it's entirely possible that the story of Mr. Moro's lineage is Hollywood-induced bullshit.... or maybe it's not. Stranger things have happened in "reality-based" television shows (See: Contender, and Ultimate Fighter series). In the end, he'll have to deal with those questions as they come up, if he signs on for this board.

But judging from the blog, I'd say this guy isn't the bad guy that the OP makes him out to be. In fact, a lot of his opinions really resonate with the general opinions floating about on these forums. There are definately bigger and much worse fish to fry.

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 2:51am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Not you, Ken, this guy. While what you post may be valid, it is utterly inconsistent with the claims to rank quoted by others. Both opinions cannot occupy the same space. While those claims exist, the opinions you quote read like every other claimant of rank who insists, "but I don't care about rank."

Besides, he is wearing the Magic Pants. . . .

--J.D.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 1:53pm

Style: I/L, Sayoc, Atienza FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Not you, Ken, this guy. While what you post may be valid, it is utterly inconsistent with the claims to rank quoted by others. Both opinions cannot occupy the same space. While those claims exist, the opinions you quote read like every other claimant of rank who insists, "but I don't care about rank."

Besides, he is wearing the Magic Pants. . . .

--J.D.

I've never worn the Magic Pants... they look dangerous to work out in. It's a miracle they don't trip over themselves wearing those things! :icon_razz :5eek:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast