Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, my question is this:

The Wing Chun/JKD lead punch seems to be fairly unique, and is often claimed to be more powerful that a traditional western jab. I've seen lots of people practicing it on a heavy bag. However it never seems to be used in Chi Sao. Thus what realistic value does Chi Sao have, if it's not training you to use the proper Wing Chun/JKD lead punch?

Even if Chi Sao is training you to "unbalance your training partner via strikes" or is "good to practice relaxation and weight distribution while making contact", both these strikes, and this kind of contact, is unrealistic, since you're not throwing the proper Wing Chun/JKD lead punch, or are you?

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 2:43pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j416to

The Wing Chun/JKD lead punch seems to be fairly unique, and is often claimed to be more powerful that a traditional western jab. I've seen lots of people practicing it on a heavy bag. However it never seems to be used in Chi Sao. Thus what realistic value does Chi Sao have, if it's not training you to use the proper Wing Chun/JKD lead punch?

Even if Chi Sao is training you to "unbalance your training partner via strikes" or is "good to practice relaxation and weight distribution while making contact", both these strikes, and this kind of contact, is unrealistic, since you're not throwing the proper Wing Chun/JKD lead punch, or are you?

That is a good question. I don't do wing chun chisao and have always thought it was silly. so i cant answer that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 3:27pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Okay I'll take a jab at this. Most ppl don't want to train hard, because if they do that means they will get hit hard. Most vids I've seen show ppl who are not at a level in chi sao to play with the hard stuff. Some ppl don't mind the hard shots to the body, but not the head. I for one will not take those hard shots to the head without headgear. But I've only sparred with headgear, never practiced with headgear. And eventhough I was only hit lightly in the eye, nose, mouth that stuff hurts. Swollen and busted lip, eye all red, nose pounding. Anyway our shots are mostly to the body because that is most of the time the hardest place to hit. Hope I atleast touched your question, I've got to go eat and be lazy now.
  4. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 3:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baqi9
    This is chi sao with a resisting opponent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY4t1...ch=wing%20chun
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz58C...ch=wing%20chun

chi sao (limb contact) "may" of happen for a split second in a fight. Chi sao teaches what can be done in that split second. Well that is what I understand of it.
    Thank you baqi9 for the clips...I would +rep you, if I could.
  5. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 3:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"However it never seems to be used in Chi Sao."
    It isn't?
    I assume a lead vertical fist to one's grill is probably used about 50% or more of the time when stiking from a trapping position. Sure you have the occasional Jao Sau (running hand?) and more often the Bui Gee (finger jab) to the eye or throat but the majority of strikes tend to be a straight lead hand fist to the grill. I think you don't seem to see it because people aren't getting rocked and having bloody lips. That is because it is "a drill" to get it ingrained into you muscle memory. You can hit harder on the dummy or heavy bag. Rocking each other would kind of break the flow of the drill and getting the proper "feel" you would need to keep it fluid.
  6. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 3:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From now on, I think I may refer to my BJJ class as "Full-Body Chi Sao."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 4:05pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll toss my coin here. Well basically you won't use Chi Sao in a fight simply because it's hard to set up a good strike while receive pressure from a resisting opponent, since you can't shoot your fist with enough explosion to make it worth anything. One of the principles in Wing Chun is called Tao Lao, which mildly translates into ''Take advantage of the void'' or ''occupy the void''; that means that you won't seek to make contact when trying to strike, not only to get more power for your strike, but also making it harder to put by.

That's why my opinion on chi sao is that is teaches you to relax while under pressure from contact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 4:44pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The clips posted earlier are a very poor example of proper use of chi sau. Chi Sau should never be used as a "fight". There is a LEARNING PROGRESSION in chi sau, from Dan Chi Sau (single arm) to Gor Sau using two hand attacks including kicks and dynamic foot work. Chi Sau is a training drill, not a fight, even though the energy levels can be quite intense at advanced levels of practice. The patty cake bitch-slapping excerpts from C. Lee's fight school gives WC a very bad name, (especially on Bullshido :) ) From my experience, there are very few WC schools that know, understand and teach this properly. If you are doing what the C Lee clips look like, you are not doing proper Wing Chun and giving the art a very bad name. If you understand the following terms (dan chi sau, luk sau, poon sau, gor sau, toi ma, jip sau/jao/ sao and chung chi) then you are learning chi sau and Wing Chun properly.

Chi Sau trains energetic sensitivity, balance, coordination, hand replacement and ownership of the centreline with BOTH hands and feet while destroying your opponents balance and abilty to defend himself. We spar and it is called my son jong drills, which usually lasts no more than a few seconds each drill, before it is reset and starts again. This is the nature and ideal of Wing Chun, to finish a fight in a few seconds.
  9. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 4:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    learning to flow around/through a barrier ... you would never want to purposely be put in a situation to trap ... you just need to know what to do if one arises

my teacher compares it to the ability to change a tire...you should know how to do it but you would never slit you own tire just to prove you can.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 4:48pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chi Sao is t3h _ing _un Gr@ppl3... duh
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast