Posted On:
    3/20/2006 12:31am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a whole new debate:

Sparring shitty vs no sparring at all.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 12:44am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nice post 'sco - don't you feel freer?
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 6:09am

Style: MT, Sanshou/Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It took you almost a year to get your BB? I've been doing TKD for 4 to 5 years, and I just took my grading yesterday. Any who, welcome.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 7:58am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People, you're not giving this guy enough love.

Bullshido must recognise when someone sees the light!

Allelujah brother!
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

ˇViva los Muertos!

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 8:08am

Style: Boxing/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, alot of people here know just how you feel.

I took Karate as a teenager, and then when I got to college I started up with the school's budding Judo Club. After one month of Judo, I was too embarrassed to tell strangers who still thought it was 'cool' that I ever learned it. Now, I realize that not all karate is crap... but damn... so much of it is bad... so much...
    A lie gets half-way around the world before the truth has time to get it's pants on. - Winston Churchhill

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 11:59am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, that's something else that bothers me. family and friends think you're the 'ish just because you can do a sloppy lil' jump-spin kick, but in reality, if crap were to hit the fan, it wouldn't work out that way. same with all the "self-defenses" we learned against a "dummy" opponent.

nice post 'sco - don't you feel freer?
    sorta, i guess. it sucks when you have these grand expectations, then reality hits. it's like a cartoon walking off a cliff and on air, until he looks down... then it's like oh $#!%

oh well, i guess there's always WWE... or pilates

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 12:01pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 'sco
    That's right, I said it....
    I usually don't post on forums and such, but feel inclined to now. So I'll share my little story.

I've done _T_ TKD for a little over a year now, and for what?
    When I started, I was hoping to be all bad-ass and cool like Bruce Lee or somethin', and in fact, it was beginning to happen, but only in my head.

I looked in the phone book under "karate", but only found a limited selection, so I just picked one from the top of the list. I called and made an appointment, and was very excited. I was gonna be teh Black Belt.

It started out okay, although some of the stuff goin' on was just plain wierd. Being one outta two adults in the class wasn't helping. Regardless, I kept "training" and doing what I was told. I did the forms at home and was looking kinda decent. I'm generally in shape, so looking decent compared to most everyone else wasn't hard. I got up a little in rank and started taking the "grown-up" class. I did okay in "sparring" so I started feeling a little confident. I'm not one to show-off, so I didn't tell the world or run my mouth.

Anyway, a few months down the road, they held a "JuJitsu" seminar, which I was siked about. We were shown the basic positions and a few moves. At the end of the class we rolled, and I did pretty good. I used to "rassle" with my brother and friends, so it was fun, and when we they held another, I jumped on board again. This time I did really well. I was, or so I thought, able to whoop-ass if I'm standing up, or on the ground. I was becoming a real bad-ass here.

The JuJitsu seminar went over so well, that they started to hold a class for it everynow and then. The first class went okay, but the ones afterwards were basically just pick a partner and roll. Eventually everyone got tired, lost intrest, or both, and the class was stopped. I was a little sore about it, but then again, I was still 'the man', yeah? I was still on my way to become a black belt.

Well sometime later I found myself looking for Fight Clips on the internet, and through various links, discovered Bullshido. I found it interesting and lurked the forums a bit. Some of the stuff I read just couldn't have been true. What was all this? McDojos? Scams? BlackBelts Factories? With every story I read, I thought, "that sounds a lot like... my dojo" No failed "testings", crappy BlackBelts, kid BlackBelts. I didn't want it to be true....

Now almost a BlackBelt, someone asked me what it meant to me. And I couldn't come up with an answer... it means nothing. I shoveled out 4k or more for a piece of cloth that means nothing. It's exactly the same as the one the 10 year old fat kid wears; still trying to do a round kick correctly.

So now I was lucky and found some new training partners. We meet up every now and then and train in ol' dude's garage. The first time I was there I was decimated in stand-up, and finally discovered "the clinch". Even in ground-game, I found out that everything I learned in "JuJitsu" was crappling, and have been schooled.

In closing I'd like to say damn you, damn you Bullshido for taking my dreams and stomping 'em into the ground. In one hand, I'm only a second away from completing a life-goal, to becoming a blackbelt, but in the other, I'm trying to debate if that blackbelt means anything at all. All I wanted, was to be an invincible karate guy, but you gave me reality.
    I guess this means McDojo -1, Bullshido +1

Thank you,
    'sco
    It is kindof like waking up to find you are in some kind of gooy pod with cables running into the back of your head. welcome to freedom from the faketrix.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 12:09pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait wait, there's female ninjas!?!

I have to say one of the few perks to dropping in on TKD tournaments in my area are the TKD women. Nothing says 'sexy' like a 3rd dan female black belt. Especially when she's convinced of her own invincibility. The look on her eyes when you sweep from mount to inside her guard......

But that's another story.

TKD (allegedly)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234