Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2006 2:51pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Curse you Bullshido

That's right, I said it....
    I usually don't post on forums and such, but feel inclined to now. So I'll share my little story.

I've done _T_ TKD for a little over a year now, and for what?
    When I started, I was hoping to be all bad-ass and cool like Bruce Lee or somethin', and in fact, it was beginning to happen, but only in my head.

I looked in the phone book under "karate", but only found a limited selection, so I just picked one from the top of the list. I called and made an appointment, and was very excited. I was gonna be teh Black Belt.

It started out okay, although some of the stuff goin' on was just plain wierd. Being one outta two adults in the class wasn't helping. Regardless, I kept "training" and doing what I was told. I did the forms at home and was looking kinda decent. I'm generally in shape, so looking decent compared to most everyone else wasn't hard. I got up a little in rank and started taking the "grown-up" class. I did okay in "sparring" so I started feeling a little confident. I'm not one to show-off, so I didn't tell the world or run my mouth.

Anyway, a few months down the road, they held a "JuJitsu" seminar, which I was siked about. We were shown the basic positions and a few moves. At the end of the class we rolled, and I did pretty good. I used to "rassle" with my brother and friends, so it was fun, and when we they held another, I jumped on board again. This time I did really well. I was, or so I thought, able to whoop-ass if I'm standing up, or on the ground. I was becoming a real bad-ass here.

The JuJitsu seminar went over so well, that they started to hold a class for it everynow and then. The first class went okay, but the ones afterwards were basically just pick a partner and roll. Eventually everyone got tired, lost intrest, or both, and the class was stopped. I was a little sore about it, but then again, I was still 'the man', yeah? I was still on my way to become a black belt.

Well sometime later I found myself looking for Fight Clips on the internet, and through various links, discovered Bullshido. I found it interesting and lurked the forums a bit. Some of the stuff I read just couldn't have been true. What was all this? McDojos? Scams? BlackBelts Factories? With every story I read, I thought, "that sounds a lot like... my dojo" No failed "testings", crappy BlackBelts, kid BlackBelts. I didn't want it to be true....

Now almost a BlackBelt, someone asked me what it meant to me. And I couldn't come up with an answer... it means nothing. I shoveled out 4k or more for a piece of cloth that means nothing. It's exactly the same as the one the 10 year old fat kid wears; still trying to do a round kick correctly.

So now I was lucky and found some new training partners. We meet up every now and then and train in ol' dude's garage. The first time I was there I was decimated in stand-up, and finally discovered "the clinch". Even in ground-game, I found out that everything I learned in "JuJitsu" was crappling, and have been schooled.

In closing I'd like to say damn you, damn you Bullshido for taking my dreams and stomping 'em into the ground. In one hand, I'm only a second away from completing a life-goal, to becoming a blackbelt, but in the other, I'm trying to debate if that blackbelt means anything at all. All I wanted, was to be an invincible karate guy, but you gave me reality.
    I guess this means McDojo -1, Bullshido +1

Thank you,
    'sco

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    3/19/2006 3:21pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come on admit where your BB is from:

WTF, ITF, GTF. WICTFICSHEHSNLKJHLIHELKRHJLEKRJH (or how many other letters they're putting before and behind the T these days!

Welcome to the real world, be thankful that your eyes werern't opened in a botched SD situation. Enjoy your stay, it sounds like you'll be around for a while!

TKD (ITF BB then GTF)

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    3/19/2006 3:48pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, you're just a quitter!! TKD is t3h d34dly! What could be more t3h d34dly than kicking an opponent in the head?

Posted On:
    3/19/2006 3:56pm

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nice first post. usually noobs get bashed on their first thread...

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    3/19/2006 3:57pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, what? I trashed him!!

Posted On:
    3/19/2006 4:06pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    $4,000 for only a year of training? Even at 13 months that $300 a month. How did they charge you so much?

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/19/2006 4:09pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sam: 1st-8th ranks 50$ a test 8 and 9th about 75$ a test, possibly even +10 bucks for the physical belt, belt embroidery: 1$ a letter, etc, extra fees for seminars and open mats, uniform and spare uniform, patches, etc.

Yeah, what TKD org was it? We keep an informal tally.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2006 4:13pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WTF

Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt

WTF, ITF, GTF. WICTFICSHEHSNLKJHLIHELKRHJLEKRJH (or how many other letters they're putting before and behind the T these days!

Welcome to the real world, be thankful that your eyes werern't opened in a botched SD situation. Enjoy your stay, it sounds like you'll be around for a while!

TKD (ITF BB then GTF)

I was also involved in TKD for 2 years, almost got to BB, then started Boxing, I'ts Ok and I do some sparring but I want to try MMA fighting and I'm looking for my first throwdown.
    Anyone here know of any in the Ottawa area, I'd love to get together with some people and try some real grappling.

P.S. I'm pretty new to this and I'd also like to know if there are any McDojos in the Ottawa area.
    I can think of one Karate school with 6 locations, anything else I should know?
    Thanks Gerry
    Gerry

Posted On:
    3/19/2006 4:35pm

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    Hey, what? I trashed him!!
    your trashing was insufficient.

usually noobs are told to commit suicide, told that they are not loved and/or told to STFU.

oh yea, and he hasn't been told to "use the search function noob" or "wrong forum asshole!"

this is why your trashing did not meet the criteria.

-BF

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2006 4:39pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    well my first hint was "I looked in the phone book under "karate", but only found a limited selection, so I just picked one from the top of the list"

but here's another:
    Anonymous 'Tarted Association

$4,000 for only a year of training? Even at 13 months that $300 a month. How did they charge you so much?
    like JohnnyCache said, "tests" "gear" etc. etc., plus, I was a sucka
    fortunately I paid off my contract early, saving maybe another $1000 or so in the long run. I've heard of a lot of stories about people quiting, and still having to pay...
    Contracts are evil...

**Oh yeah, I'm not a BB
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast