Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2006 9:27pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn...last night I had a dream where a cut out image of William Cheung chased me around in my house. Maybe this video is the sign of the "End of Days", when all the lineages of wing chun will battle among themselfs and only one will emerge victorious. Oh, and the video looks silly too!:laughing6

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 8:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    The large fist represents the different areas a punch could strike. It is a zone. Since you do not know the target, only that it is a punch, you must defend a large zone.

The WT turn pivots to one side, over one leg, removing the body from the zone completely. The Horse stance guy and the Traditional WC only turn on the axis in the center, weight still on both feet, and thus do not get off line enough. They then must relie on the arms for defense as well.

It is a silly looking video, and the James Bond Music is classic.
    Exactly. And that's why this is a great example of why _ing __un is crap. You're not going to dodge with your body his punch (his hand will be faster), he won't just throw one, he'll adjust too, you have no power backing up (moving away), and so on.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 8:50pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    um, so why do boxers preach so much about bob and weave, and why do grapplers duck under punchs, and why do other styles talk about foot work? If punchs are so fast....

Thats like saying "if you go for a waist tackle I will just knee your face, since the knee is faster" doesn't work that way.

The Tsunner wil also be punching, and also using his arms to defend, but he still will get out of the way too......

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 9:02pm

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I understand it.Or at least I know what I'm looking at.

He's showing the theory of that you can get out of the way of a punch or someone trying to ram their way straight at you and by using your foot you can tripped them to fall on the floor.

You see while most TMA styles are using modern fighting stances this clip shows the complete relunctance of _ing-__uner's of moving away from old traditional stances.
    No he's not. Dr Tzu had it right. He's showing that you can pivot and shift your balance onto the other leg and thereby 'avoid' an attacker that is rushing your centre.

The problem of course is that he really isn't avoiding the attacker. The opponent would crash into the leg with little weight on it and the WCer would fall down.

The horse-stance guy was MA at its worse -- the guy throws himself through the air.

This principle works better with a pivot punch as the extra range gathered can save you from copping a punch that is thrown at around the same time... but the punch must be thrown from the shoulder to get this advantage -- and I doubt LT VT let you do this.

Not having your hands up is a recipe for disaster in any system.

Leung Ting needs to get his Yang up!

You secure that **** Hudson!!

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 9:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man that was funny!!

That last guy looks like he is ready to take a dump!

:merror:

edit: Now that I have listened to it as well I must congratulate the people who did the awesome mixing job. Nothing like drowning out someone with 70's music and cool punch sound effects. All that was missing was a Streetfighter "Fight" in there and it would be complete.

:copdance:
    Last edited by Yush; 3/20/2006 9:23pm at .
    Wheels within wheels in a spiral array...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 9:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    um, so why do boxers preach so much about bob and weave, and why do grapplers duck under punchs, and why do other styles talk about foot work? If punchs are so fast....

Thats like saying "if you go for a waist tackle I will just knee your face, since the knee is faster" doesn't work that way.

The Tsunner wil also be punching, and also using his arms to defend, but he still will get out of the way too......
    Ah, dude, those are evasions for attacks to the head (so all you do is move at the waist), not the body (and move/shift your whole body). Sure, the _ing __unner will be punching -- as he moves away (his weight is moving away from the direction he's punching). This sort of tactic is silly from both a defensive and offensive standpoint. I'm sure you can come up with all sorts of theories why it should work. What you won't be able to come up with is any evidence of it working against anyone good. And that's because it's crap.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 9:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?
    No he's not. Dr Tzu had it right. He's showing that you can pivot and shift your balance onto the other leg and thereby 'avoid' an attacker that is rushing your centre.

The problem of course is that he really isn't avoiding the attacker. The opponent would crash into the leg with little weight on it and the WCer would fall down.

The horse-stance guy was MA at its worse -- the guy throws himself through the air.

This principle works better with a pivot punch as the extra range gathered can save you from copping a punch that is thrown at around the same time... but the punch must be thrown from the shoulder to get this advantage -- and I doubt LT VT let you do this.

Not having your hands up is a recipe for disaster in any system.

Leung Ting needs to get his Yang up!
    I'm not gonna argue with you over applications of WC stances . Like I said I thought I knew what he was explaining.

I guess anyone would have there own interpretations .Like WMD's in Iraq.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 9:39pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by whybother
    Ah, dude, those are evasions for attacks to the head (so all you do is move at the waist), not the body (and move/shift your whole body).
    punch is still faster....what if its a fake to head, for a body shot, and you duck into it? better to get completley out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by whybother
    Sure, the _ing __unner will be punching -- as he moves away (his weight is moving away from the direction he's punching). This sort of tactic is silly from both a defensive and offensive standpoint.
    actually, the weight moves around the pivot point, away from the centerline and then back toward the attacker. (Tings right side). It is often used to take in with the left arm and give that back with the right arm, so the attacker provides alot of energy to it as well.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 11:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so he's evading... where is the footwork? or does he think he can just stay there?

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 6:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow.

What a stupid concept, to quote Monty Python, regarding the video. No need to defend stupidity. Evasion is a good thing, of course, but this video does not demonstrate it.

--J.D.

[Edited to clarify he is judging the video, and not the commentary.--Ed.]
    Last edited by Doctor X; 3/21/2006 6:32am at .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast