Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/19/2006 7:25pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is assuming a Kempo school trains right is risky.

Not bashing Kempo/Kenpo/etc. it's just a fact that taking Kempo comes with a risk.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 10:12am

Style: Intergalactic

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    The problem is assuming a Kempo school trains right is risky.

Not bashing Kempo/Kenpo/etc. it's just a fact that taking Kempo comes with a risk.

You're absolutely right . . . I've been to three Kenpo schools in different regions while away at school, etc and I was amazed at the variance in contact sparring, how classes were run, and the levels of overall intensity. My first school was great - lots of contact and the instructor was a former kickboxer, so sparring was encouraged.

The other schools I went to were absoute **** - there were more people doing what looked like Tae Bo rather than actually sparring. Those other schools all claimed to teach grappling AND many of the staff got twitchy when you questioned anything.

One school had an instructor who claimed to be a gound combat expert . . . even though I had a very limited range of grappling techniques from shootfighting, I made him tap twice . . . then he wouldn't spar with me at all. I only had about a year of shootfighting under my belt at the time and, since a lot of guys at my old school could make me tap whenever they wanted to, I knew this guy was a fraud.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 5:30pm

Style: Shorinji Kempo /Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just came across this so thought I would add my 2 cents as well. Many good points have been made, so will just add what I know.

First one is to research the school and make sure they are part of WSKO or even familiar with any aspect of that. From the links posted and as stated, they are not indeed Shorinji Kempo.

I tried looking for a place and came across one where they taught something totally different and even had yellow and purple belts, something SK does not have.

Another one is, what is your objective for learning SK and BJJ? Or any martial art?

I have learnt Muay Thai/Kickboxing/some throws/some BJJ(not much). And have now been training in SK for a few months. It is totally different then those mentioned martial arts.

If you are out there to kick the living **** out of people, SK is not for you. It mainly teaches self defense and does not require you to be "swoll" or have immense strength. It is based on Ju-ho and Go-ho (soft and hard) techniques. Also using your opponents weaknesses and not going overboard.

BTW here is a video of some Ju-Ho techniques
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ruEXbc9yC...orinji%20kempo

I can keep going on about this, but yea... I do not think there is much ground work(if any), in SK. So this might be the one weak point. But then again I am only so far in my training.

SK was/is hard for me, considering I could still fight due to its various stances and implementation of hips and what not for power. I did find it kind of awkward at first.

My instructor is from Indonesia and has been training for god knows how long and is only a 1st dan black belt. Whereas most places I found the 8th dan in 3 years people haha. So make sure your instructor knows his ****. My instructor is short and does not look intimidating, but can kick ass. If possible I will try and get a video of him and his friend who is also a 1st dan executing some throws.

I personally think it is best to get some form where you can punch, kick and fight on the floor. So try and get those components in and be a complete fighter. Also it is upto you as to how well you can use these techniques. Keep an open mind, train hard and you will do well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 5:38pm

Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the advice hitme. Currently I'm thinking about Judo plus Kyokushin Karate.
    Last edited by Jadran; 3/23/2006 5:45pm at .

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 7:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kaplan has a Kyokushin Karate class at Duke. IIRC, you need to google Duke KKK Program for more information. It is much better than Emory's Basic Judo 101 class; that just blows.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 11:19pm

Style: Beating Children

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadran
    Currently I'm thinking about Judo plus Kyokushin Karate.
    You won't be disappointed if you take judo, from the stand-up point of view. BJJ guys are retarded on their feet mostly (I used to be one of those). Take it from David Camarillo (BJJ and Judo Champ) he used both to te turneys. But as for Karate nawww, take Muai Thai Kickboxing that will help complement the Judo nicely. If you get into a clinch throw the guy or throw some elbows then throw the guy. They mix quite well.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 11:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That kempo video looks totally craptastic. The guy "throws" these people like magic by wristlocks?? How about the one where he is sitting and some guy grabs him, the response is to shake his arm and the guy goes flying! To me this seems like its choreographed or brainwashed students.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/23/2006 11:57pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    Kaplan has a Kyokushin Karate class at Duke. IIRC, you need to google Duke KKK Program for more information. It is much better than Emory's Basic Judo 101 class; that just blows.
    Do you wear a hood when you roll.:icon_smur

http://www.skepticfiles.org/almanac/dduke69.htm

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9ibyfOMei...uke_intro.html
    Last edited by It is Fake; 3/23/2006 11:59pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 2:18am

Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    I don't live in USA so I have no use of this information.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatsumauru
    You won't be disappointed if you take judo, from the stand-up point of view. BJJ guys are retarded on their feet mostly (I used to be one of those). Take it from David Camarillo (BJJ and Judo Champ) he used both to te turneys. But as for Karate nawww, take Muai Thai Kickboxing that will help complement the Judo nicely. If you get into a clinch throw the guy or throw some elbows then throw the guy. They mix quite well.
    Judo is a great art. From my point of view it's better for an average guy then Brazilian Jujitsu. You can go study Brazilian Jujitsu if you want to go to UFC, K-1 etc. or need a supplemental art for having a lack of ground technique in your martial art (indispensable part) but if you want ground skill Judo will be fine.

Why do I need study Muai Thai to get the idea that I can elbow a guy?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 2:36am

supporting member
     Style: Shorinjikempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    That kempo video looks totally craptastic. The guy "throws" these people like magic by wristlocks?? How about the one where he is sitting and some guy grabs him, the response is to shake his arm and the guy goes flying! To me this seems like its choreographed or brainwashed students.
    Feel like I have to defend Mori sensei a little (he is dead), he is very famous for his juho skills in Shorinji Kempo, and in that video he is demonstrating and teaching about balance while performing juho techniques. And no, the attackers are not exactly resisting, but he is only teaching principles, not doing randori.

Here is a link with some vids which I think shows more of what Shorinji Kempo is about with the blend of both juho and goho (soft/hard) technique. Still just a demonstrations but with more force.

http://www.suginoharyu.com/html/video/ikempo.htm
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast