Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2009 2:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing & Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gun newb needs advice on .308

I'm looking for an all purpose hunting rifle and my friend who knows a little about this stuff advised me to go with a .308 caliber bolt action rifle. He didn't offer any suggestions on which model to get.

Right now I only have a .22 semi-auto Savage Model 64. I wanted it just to play around with so I bought it based solely on the advice of the salesperson. I don't want to do that with this purchase.

I can spend up to $350 on this, $400 max. I live in Canada so that might affect availability.

Any suggestion or advice on what to look for?

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    11/07/2009 3:23pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    308 will take anything in North America, that's a fact.

The Remington 700 series is a little pricier than your range, but they make great hunting rifles.

Marlin's XL7 is definitely in your price range, and a perfectly serviceable tool for hunting.

Beware: 308 is a STIFF round...especially in a low-cost bolt-action hunting platform. Make sure you have great technique, a good grip and lots of practice. The damn thing will give a you a helluva bruise if you aren't ready for it. Not to mention some hellish scope-eye.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    11/07/2009 5:56pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'tis a man's round for sure.

Posted On:
    11/07/2009 6:26pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    .308 can be tough, but most guys can get used to it with a bit of practice. I'm also a .300 Win Mag fan, but that's a much tougher round to deal with and far more expensive.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    11/07/2009 8:32pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenFist View Post
    I'm looking for an all purpose hunting rifle and my friend who knows a little about this stuff advised me to go with a .308 caliber bolt action rifle. He didn't offer any suggestions on which model to get.

Right now I only have a .22 semi-auto Savage Model 64. I wanted it just to play around with so I bought it based solely on the advice of the salesperson. I don't want to do that with this purchase.

I can spend up to $350 on this, $400 max. I live in Canada so that might affect availability.

Any suggestion or advice on what to look for?
    Get a Remington 700, so you can be like Lone Wolf McQuade.

YouTube- J.J. McQuade, Texas Ranger
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    11/07/2009 9:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i vote for the 700 as well. it's pricier than you wanted, but it's well worth it.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2009 10:01pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Savage makes a quality line of 308 with the 10 or 110 series.

You can get a new one plain with a heavy barrel for around $400US.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2009 12:03am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know it is out of your price range, but I have always been very happy with the Ruger 77. It would be well worth the extra money.

I have also been around the Savage line in .308 and they are a very good gun, not to mention that they are fairly inexpensive.

Are you sure you are wanting a .308? Going from .22 to .308 isgoing to be an eye opener.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2009 7:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dick's Sporting Goods in my area had a bull-barreled, camo-stocked .308 in remington 700
    with a 3x9 scope for like $450.00. You could probably get a Savage Model 10 for somewhere cheaper.

Check Gunbroker. .308 is your best choice on this one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2009 7:59pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another fan of the .308 bolt. If you've never shot anything other than a .22 it may give you a little surprise, but nothing you probably can't get used to - the round has been around for a lot of years, and millions have used it. It was starndard military for a long time, which just adds to its popularity.

And if price is an issue, see if you can get a gently used one. Most gun shops (at least around here) take a lot of stuff in trade. Bring someone you trust who knows their stuff to help you check them out, but I know a lot of guys who fall in love with a gun they see, buy it, keep it for a year (bringing it to the range a couple of times and maybe once into the field), and then suddenly decide something else is the gun of their dreams. So the gun has had less than 100 rounds put through it, but since it's used you save 25-30% on the price.

Also, you say "all purpose" hunting. Just deer, or are you going for bigger stuff as well? Do you expect to take a lot of long shots across fields or down power lines, or will it mostly be in the brush? If it's just deer, and mostly shorter shots, you may want to go .270 or 30-30 lever action. I had a Winchester 94 for a long time that was great for carrying around through brush. The only thing I didn't like about it was the eject port was on the top so if I wanted a scope I had to settle for side mount - but Marlin makes a decent one that has side eject for a top mount scope. Right now my "all around" gun is a Winchester 300 pump .12ga. It has interchangeable barrels and a scope mounted on top. For birds and small game I use a smothbore barrel, and for deer I put on a rifled barrel and shoot slugs w/the scope. It works pretty well out to about 75 yards (which is about as far as I'll ever shoot on a regular basis anyway) but definitely has a little bit of a bite to it.

The best thing to do is to go shooting with friends who have different guns and see what you like, how well you shoot at a distance, how much recoil you can handle, etc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast