Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 253132333435 36 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    4/28/2006 8:21am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I have heard back from my historian contact in China. He said, "I have never heard of Splashing Hands" end quote. He also stated that he felt the same way that we did that it was not a real style and probably something that has been created from other techniques.

But always the scholar he did ask if we could provide him with information about which school of Chinese Martial arts it comes from then he could try to dig a little further just to be sure. I think it is supposed to be Shaolin in origin, can anyone else offer any other information?

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 12:22pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually visited little nine heaven years ago- 1990, down in LA. While I think that Mr. McNeil is a true wanna-be ( tries to act Chinese), and a bizzare little dude, he was very, very quick on his feet. His students were into showing others that they could take a bunch to the gut, ala, Sachranoski ryu, and I only talked to him for 1/2 hour. However, he was, at least at that time, very, very fast for his age. Was it fast Bullshido? Nowing what I know now, he could have been a grand BS artist, and fast only because he was about 5'5" and weighed 130. He had a little old Chinese lady for a wife, and I think that if someone could genetically change him into a cantonese, nothing would have made him happier. In the end, I remember leaving being very impressed by his speed. Anyway, that's my two cents, and an eye witness report, but I've been fooled before,and will probably be fooled again.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 12:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So basically he was fanatical Sinophile.

I too am a Sinophile just not fanatical.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 1:01pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He may be fast and a good fighter. It still doesn't prove that Splashing hands is a style not a technique.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 10:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another thread started about this same subject. How do you link one thread to another?

software engineer

Posted On:
    5/07/2006 10:42pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    Another thread started about this same subject. How do you link one thread to another?
    you could just post the link. Unless you're a mod, you can't just merge the threads, though.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 3:09pm

Style: Xing yi-iron hand-shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Little nine heavens review

I finally ended up checking out the L9H school in Highland Park IL. I met Sifu Baron and I also had the chance to go to a seminar and meet James McNeil. In my opinion, L9H is not a "mcdojo" or "bullshido" or any of that. I had the
    chance to practice some xing yi and splashing hands at the L9H school.

The Splashing Hands was completely different from what I practiced before. It required me to be more relaxed and with hands opened and loose so I could go faster, well remaining in a solid stance and closing my fist at the moment of impact. The slapping of the body made sense after practicing it for a while. Each slap is more like a bounce like off of a diving board and it actually made my rate of striking increase in speed. Each slap can also be turned into a block and hit at the same time. The slap just symbolizes the block and the bounce from it. The timing was hard to understand, because it required keeping track of all four of my limbs at once. But with a few tries, I was able to get faster and solid on my blocks and punches. I think it's very efficient and effective. I'm sure the Proof of the history that you guys want is somewhere out there.

Mr. McNeil did not seem like a wanna-be at all. He was really cool. He
    liked to joke around and was easy going too. He also seemed very knowledgeable about martial arts and fighting. He was also a good teacher. When I didn't understand a splashing hands or xing yi application, he or one of his students always explained it. One thing that surprised me was when a breathing technique was demonstrated, he let me give one of his students my best shot multiple times in the stomach. It didn't even phase him.
    Didn't push him back, didn't even.....do anything... I have seen this done before, but it was pretty cool to be the one doing the punching and kicking. The students I met were friendly and committed to their training. Everyone introduced themselves individually, and I felt welcomed at their school. They also seemed like a good group of people to train with.

Anyway, Mr. McNeil is definitely lightning fast especially for his age,in fact, all of
    his top students are fast as hell. He is definately faster than anybody I've ever seen and he is in his 60's. I know he trains quite a bit. If you don't believe me try and go see him yourself. He was quick and very accurate with his hands and feet. I also understand that he is the lineage holder of a number of other arts such as xing-yi, ba gua, poison fingers, iron hand, Little Nine Heaven, and a few others as well. I was impressed to see all that he offered.

I have decided to join the L9H school, and practice mainly xing yi and some
    splashing hands. The xing yi that's taught interests me, it seems like it has a lot of depth and is full of fighting application. I hope my review helps clear things up, seems like a good school to me, nothing "Mcdojo" about the school, or "bullshido" about their arts. I hope my post does not feed into any more arguement or feed the trolls around here. The school really seems genuine and committed to teaching their arts the right way, and not warped or changed in any way. I know SOME you guys like to rag on schools without ever really going to them and checking them out, but i really dont think that the L9H school deserve all of the **** people are giving them.I'm not saying you can't have your opinion, but atleast base your opinion off of something reasonable like going to the school and actually checking it out.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 5:28pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dropthabomb, I encourage you to come to our throwdown on May 27th.

I know Rich personally. Please tell him that his fraternity brother Steve says hi.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 10:38pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You didn't find out about the history of "Spalshing Hands" which proves nothing.
    You also didn't provide details of cost and seminars, which proves nothing.

So, a basic Mcdojo may contain isolation, contracts, hidden fees, etc.... which L9H has on its website.

Bullshido is a unverifiable up history, teacher, tecniques etc.. which L9H has on its website.

There is no verification in your "article review", they are personal anecdotes.

1) Did you tell them you were from Bullshido?
    2) What experience do you have with other arts(especially Chinese Martial Arts).
    3) Did you get any prices?
    4) Did they have contracts(how long)?
    5) Do they have Kids classes?

Thanks for the review. Thing is the punching demo is a trick. It isn't anything overly special for someone in relatively good shape at any age.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 12:58am

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I lament and rue that I found this so late. I believe this thread alone justifies Al Gore's work in inventing the internet.
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 253132333435 36 LastLast