Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 8:41pm

Style: DZR JJ, Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

24fightingchickens: Back as a Blog

So Rob Redmond's site is back up, in case anyone cares. A lot of folks seemed to hate on him pretty hard from this site, but he sort of introduced me to the concept of bullshido before I found Bullshido.net, so despite his apparently titanic ego (don't run into many of those in the martial arts, now do ya?), I'm kind of interested to see it back.

He's a Shotokan dude, but always seemed refreshingly candid about its shortcomings -- asserting that a boxer or wrestler usually prevails against a karateka when the heat's actually on because of better conditioning and experience taking hard shots, dissing on ki and advocating hard sparring, outside conditioning and weight training.

Been nice if a _ing _hunner had stepped up to the plate with similar candor about the limitations of an art before I wasted two years slapping elbows and pretending to give a **** about Bruce Lee or William Cheung, but what're you gonna do. At least I learned the Dreaded Anti-grapple...

Anyway, maybe worth a look if you're into that sort of thing. Sorry if this is posted already, I'm a freakin' newbie with poor search skills.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 9:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ToofLess
    So Rob Redmond's site is back up, in case anyone cares. A lot of folks seemed to hate on him pretty hard from this site, but he sort of introduced me to the concept of bullshido before I found Bullshido.net, so despite his apparently titanic ego (don't run into many of those in the martial arts, now do ya?), I'm kind of interested to see it back.

He's a Shotokan dude, but always seemed refreshingly candid about its shortcomings -- asserting that a boxer or wrestler usually prevails against a karateka when the heat's actually on because of better conditioning and experience taking hard shots, dissing on ki and advocating hard sparring, outside conditioning and weight training.

Been nice if a _ing _hunner had stepped up to the plate with similar candor about the limitations of an art before I wasted two years slapping elbows and pretending to give a **** about Bruce Lee or William Cheung, but what're you gonna do. At least I learned the Dreaded Anti-grapple...

Anyway, maybe worth a look if you're into that sort of thing. Sorry if this is posted already, I'm a freakin' newbie with poor search skills.
    Didnt see a link ....

TLDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 9:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hated his site back when I was practicing bad mckrotty, so I'll probably love it now. I have to wonder if his writing style is still as abrasive as I remember it.

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 9:50pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh, Bruce Lee DID dis on the Bullshido in WC. That's where JKD started. Heck, his idea of antiboxing or antigrappling was to go out and actually learn boxing and wrestling! Not to mention his advocating the LOW kicks of TKD, not the high ones. The only reason he did the high ones in the films was 'cause Chuck Norris talked him into it. He also helped spread FMA, and invented the MMA glove, blah, blah, etc., etc. ad infitum...

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 11:19pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an urge to start listing Bruce Lee's shortcomings now, but that would accomplish nothing.

What I'm always curious about is that if a Shotokan guy admits that his style will normally be triumphed over by boxers and wrestlers... why does he do Shotokan?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 5:33am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    What I'm always curious about is that if a Shotokan guy admits that his style will normally be triumphed over by boxers and wrestlers... why does he do Shotokan?
    Maybe he just enjoys it?
    Not a damn thing wrong with that, specially as he's completely upfront about Shotokan's limitiations.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 9:48am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He just can't admit BOXING WINS AGAIN!
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 1:25pm

Style: DZR JJ, Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, a link. Sorry.

http://www.24fightingchickens.com

And yeah, he's still pretty keen on himself.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 5:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ToofLess
    Oh yeah, a link. Sorry.

http://www.24fightingchickens.com

And yeah, he's still pretty keen on himself.
    Don't hate the blogger. Hate the blog.

:confused2

Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    I hated his site back when I was practicing bad mckrotty, so I'll probably love it now. I have to wonder if his writing style is still as abrasive as I remember it.
    Why would a fan of Bullshido care about abrasive writing style?

Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    I don't admit that about "my style." I admit that about the people who typically do my style. The difference is important - it leaves me room for the possibility of not fitting that mold.

It's never about style. It's about platform.
    Last edited by 24FC; 3/20/2006 5:07pm at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/20/2006 5:58pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice...reading that back in the day always made me consider doing one for TKD...

There's just too much BS to deal with.

24FC is definitely a dude who Shoto-can. The rest Shotokan't.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 3/20/2006 6:06pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast