5/06/2003 9:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hoadley charged with burglary, stalking ex-wife

05/06/03

Staff Report

A local martial arts instructor who taught hundreds of women how to protect themselves from attackers is now accused of stalking his ex-wife and breaking into her home more than once in recent weeks.

A judge is expected to decide today whether to set bond for Richard Hoadley, a seventh-degree black belt and owner of Taekwondo Plus in Mobile. Hoadley has been in jail since mid-April. During a bond hearing Monday in Mobile County Circuit Court, Assistant District Attorney Latisha Colvin urged Judge Lionel Layden to keep Hoadley locked up. "We're contending that he is a danger to his ex-wife and that he absolutely should not be released," Colvin said after the hearing.

Hoadley's attorney, Ed Rowan, said his client is not guilty.

"My client has not been accused of any acts of intentional harm to his wife in that they have gone through a very damaging divorce," Rowan said. "There have been problems that have arisen because of that; very unfortunate problems. My client is still a very respected businessman." Hoadley, of Theodore, is charged with first-degree burglary, punishable with up to 99 years in prison and up to a $20,000 fine upon conviction, as well as third-degree burglary and aggravated stalking, both Class C felonies, punishable with one to 10 years in jail upon conviction, Colvin said.

The prosecutor declined to talk about other aspects of the case against Hoadley. During the hearing Monday, Layden heard from Hoadley and his ex-wife, Emma Poole. Their divorce was finalized in October. "I think he is obsessed," Poole said to the judge. "Rick has broken in three different times. ... Nobody can control Rick." Poole said she fears for her safety because court orders haven't kept him out of her home. Hoadley told the judge that his troubles started after he and his wife of 20 years divorced, which caused him "tremendous economic reversal."

Hoadley has been active in the community for the last two decades, donating hundreds of hours of volunteer service to various schools. In 1987, he was nominated for Mobilian of the Year. Rowan told the judge that spending three weeks in jail has changed his client. "I woke up with cockroaches on my arm today," Hoadley said, adding that he lost 11 pounds in 11 days. Hoadley said before the divorce he had "never had any violent tendencies."

In 1981, one of Hoadley's martial arts students sued him for assault and battery, after a criminal charge of first-degree assault was dropped. In the civil case, the student was awarded $4,000 in damages. At the time, Hoadley said he was protecting himself from a student who he thought was trying to hurt him. Poole obtained a protection from abuse order against her ex-husband in late March. The most recent charges against him were filed after that.

"The court orders don't seem to do a whole lot," Poole told the judge.

At the end of Monday's bond hearing, Layden, a district court judge who is filling in on the circuit court bench, said he should have an answer today.

News link->

MA wacko charged with stalking his ex-wife

Edited by - Kungfoolss on May 06 2003 21:41:26
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 10:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Information related to article? Reader be the judge:

http://web.syr.edu/~djcomroe/aboutusta.htm

Master Rick Hoadley

Master Rick Hoadley, Cofounder of ITA (International Taekwondo Alliance)

Or check out the information for yourself->

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=+Taekwondo+Alliance+Rick+Hoadley
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 10:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God, how I love these sorts of stories. (Chuckles)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 11:57am

Style: MMA, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dumbass! If didnt waste his time on TKD and studied Ninjitsu he wouldnt be in this mess.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 2:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hoadley told the judge that his troubles started after he and his wife of 20 years divorced, which caused him "tremendous economic reversal."
    I guess she got the house, the car, and the TKD Gi's...

'tremendous economic reversal' - I gotta remember that phrase

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 2:55pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Note the fast one his lawyer tried to pull. "My client has not been accused of any intentional acts of harm" to his wife. I don't know how stalking is defined in Alabama but generally it entails intentional actions that would cause a reasonable person to fear physical injury. His lawyer is saying in essence, even if my client broke into her house and followed her around he never got around to beating her up. LAME! and this defense doesn't get around the charges that have been filed.

Kung Fools, with all the misbehavor you locate, you have the contents for a good book on misbehaving martial artists. ever thought about writing one? It could be a public service.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 3:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just KNEW people involved TKD were horrible criminals! Thanks Kung!

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    5/08/2003 2:25am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NEWS UPDATE: For May 7, 2003

Taekwondo Plus owner charged with stalking

Kelly Foster reports

(MOBILE, Ala.) May 7 - A local martial arts instructor, who has taught thousands how to defend themselves, is out of jail tonight on more than $20,000 bond.

Rick Hoadley is a seventh-degree black belt and owner of Taekwondo Plus in Mobile. He is accused of stalking his ex-wife and breaking into her home. His attorney Ed Rowan told NBC 15 News, "Rick has never tried to harm his wife, and would never do that." Hoadley has owned Taekwondo Plus for about 20 years. He has taught hundreds of women self defense and holds weekly classes for kids. Melissa Harkins' son Drew studied under Hoadley for a year and a half.

Harkins said, "You are innocent until proven guilty," she continued, "I plan to take my child back there, and I'm a protective mother." Harkins said she hopes charges against him will not ruin his business. She says Hoadley knows every child by name, "I hope parents don't start pulling their kids out because of this and ruin what he built up." Hoadley is charged with first degree burglary, third degree burglary, aggravated stalking, and reckless endangerment. NBC 15 News was unable to contact his wife.

Rowan said, after spending several weeks in jail, his client is ready to get on with his life, "He has helped many people in this county and surrounding areas. . .and he's going to continue to do that for years in the future."

Taekwondo Plus is still open and classes are continuing on schedule.

http://www.wpmi.com/Global/story.asp?S=1268599&nav=3w5MFgqv

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    5/08/2003 3:59am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kung Fools, with all the misbehavor you locate, you have the contents for a good book on misbehaving martial artists. ever thought about writing one? It could be a public service.

Samuel Browning
    Sam, believe it or not, but I am in a continuous process of creating and researching that future book. As for its contents, these sorts of stories wouldn't aid me terribly much. I'm not into statistical analysis, basically, in my opinion most statistics are bias, subjective and ultimately worthless. My strengths reside in the psychoanalysis of the martial artist, if anything, these documented news accounts only affirm many of my beliefs concerning the arts and the individuals drawn to them.

Check out the following thread at my forum and decide for yourself->

The Cowardly sniper, who could he be?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2003 5:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sam & KF,
    A "Good Book?" Yes, yes, it is all becoming clear to me now. The magnificent, actinic, thoroughly correct prophet Kungfoolss and his NEW Good Book...
    No more shall the evil, infidel "stylists" be able to sway the disciples of the holy prophet Kungfoolss from the path of righteousness! Yea, verily I say unto you all, the blessings of the "Combat Science" and the curses of following the evil, evil path of the "Theory Based Stylists" shall clearly be proclaimed forever and at GREAT LENGTH to all peoples. Only then shall the gods of the $500 medallions and the ghost of Yamamoto be at peace.
    You are doing a great, good and oh so necessary thing.
    Yours sycophantically,
    Mr. N.G.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast