Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 12:40pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got my knee twisted pretty good by a heel hook preformed by one of our more egotistical/jerkish blue belts the other day. He cranked it pretty quick, but I saw it coming and rolled with it as quick as I could while shouting "TAP! TAP! TAP!" and slapping him on the leg. It felt a little tweaked afterwards but was ok the next day. Had I been a newer white belt that didnt know to roll with that kind of thing I probably would have gotten my knee fucked up for serious as he really went for it.

He usually kicks my ass pretty good, but that roll I slickly got his back and RNCed him while most of the class and two instructors were watching, everyone in class stopped rolling and clapped when I choked him, I reckon that embaressed him.

I hate it when there are a lot of rules against various submissions in tournaments but I can see why lower level competitors typically have those submissions barred to them. With all the guys out there that will risk your well being over ego in a class setting I'd hate to roll with them in a competitive setting.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 12:40pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless properly supervised, white belts have no business working neck cranks or heel hooks. If you have prior experience from Judo or Wrestling, then maybe, but your average clueless joe, hell no.

Edit: My response to Anna's experience with Mr. blue belt dickhead. Leave your ego behind when you step out onto the mat, if you don't two things will happen.
    1. Everyone will think of you as an insecure jerk, and sooner or later you will piss off someone who will stomp you.

2. You will retard your own progress because you can't see getting subbed as a learning experience.
    Last edited by jnp; 3/17/2006 12:45pm at .
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 12:41pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    besides the fact that leg submissions can cause damage easier they can also prevent you from walking temporarily, which is much worse than a sore arm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 1:09pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raynor
    Neck cranks are awesome. Its just that people don't know them. The crucifixes are a thing of beauty. The nelson family is another favorite. The brabo combo gi neck cranks are awesome as well. On the other hand, taking rear mount and RNCing their forehead is just lame. The judo side control neck crank also sucks. So does the can opener. All you're gonna do with that **** is pop my neck, which is either a good or a bad thing depending on how stretched I am at the time. Best case scenario, it actually makes me feel BETTER. Worst case, I'll feel it later after I submit the asshole.

All of that reminds me that I need to take a look at my wrestling armbars.
    That I can agree with. I've been put in some crucifixes by one of our better grapplers, and those are sweet. And I feel totally locked up.
    But the new guys, and especially strong ones, go for can opener until the cows come home.
    Along with the usual constant guilliotine attempts, attempted americana locks from halfguard and trying to kill me with their guard.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 1:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find that if I put my hand on somones jaw and violently crossface them I can generally get them to stop attempting can openers.

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 1:24pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    I find that if I put my hand on somones jaw and violently crossface them I can generally get them to stop attempting can openers.
    I find that the myriad sweeps and submissions I can perform on someone that is trying to use a can opener on me generally deters them after trying it once or twice.
    Last edited by Cassius; 3/17/2006 1:26pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 1:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It must be nice to have skill :P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 1:30pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Absolutely. I don't tap to **** like that either, but it still hurts, damn it.
    It's assholish behaviour on par with crossfacing people just for the hell of it.

But it's their development that's limited. I laugh behind their backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    I find that the myriad sweeps and submissions I can perform on someone that is trying to use a can opener on me generally deters them after trying it once or twice.
    Must...learn...sweeps...

Actually, sweeps is my #1 focus right now. I've practically stopped going for submissions from guard in order to improve my sweeps.
    Last edited by Mjelva; 3/17/2006 1:32pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 1:37pm

Style: bjj and hitting stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can opener inside the guard = armbar clinic

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 1:41pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    It must be nice to have skill :P
    Here's an example: GUARD ARMBAR. Think about it: they're most likely extended and pushing into you. It's right there!

If you try that and it doesn't work, turn the failed armbar into an armdrag or a flower sweep.

Here's a description of the armdrag I'm talking about in my training log. It starts about midway through the entry. Might be enough so you can describe it to an instructor or two and get a few different techniques to work with.

It's just one example of stuff you can do to someone that tries a can opener. There are others.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast