226243 Bullies, 3705 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 5:48pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Knee attacks aren't something to **** around ignorantly with. Learn how to grapple first.
    Not to mention people who don't know when they're caught in a heel hook and just aren't having it cranked on them out of good faith.

And then they IM you to complain about their knee hurting. Yeah, you heard me you Mick bastard. That's 3 heel hooks for me, 2 for you by my count.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 6:49pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had my knee popped a year ago by someone who should have damn well known better. The joint is still not right.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 6:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somebody tried to double-joint his way out of tapping to a heelhook? That has got to be the most scarily stupid thing I've ever heard. You can't have a double-jointed ACL.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 9:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjelva
    I hate that stupid **** about banned submissions.
    I mean, what the ****? What's the point?
    It's not like an armbar will hurt me any less than a leglock if I don't tap.
    You just won a free Cyber Smack! :5dunce:

The elbow and knee are VERY different. My knee has been fucked for over 8 years because of some dipshit doing a kneebar. It has greatly effected my game and limits me from jogging, snow boarding etc. etc.

Damn BJJ noobs think they know it all...
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

The Couch Ninja

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the risk of sounding like a complete *****. I'm taking my first BJJ lesson next week, are injuries that common while grappling? I sit my ass behind a computer all day for a living, but I don't want a fucked knee or ankle for life or some ****.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 10:50pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I typically do is I ask the person not to do lower-body submissions on me.

When I get better, I'll just ask them to take it easy, and accept I'll tap quick when it happens.

That usually works well. Except when you tell them not to do a lower body submission, and 10 seconds into rolling, they go for a lower body submission.

If you yell "TAP" or actually tap rather than try to see if you can escape (as a noob), you should be fine. I've not been injured in BJJ yet because of what I outlined above, and the people I train with are willing to accomodate me. I'm sure it's the same @ your school, as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 10:55pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjelva
    I hate that stupid **** about banned submissions.
    I mean, what the ****? What's the point?
    It's not like an armbar will hurt me any less than a leglock if I don't tap.
    I'm going to repeat Red Elvis' cyber-slap upside the head and fucking noob/white belt grumbling.

I was on the receiving end of an idiot-white-belt heelhook shortly after I began grappling. I came very, very fucking close to having my knee reconstructed after tearing my MCL. That was about four years ago now.

My knee is still not completely healed to the same degree of use as it was before I got injured.

As a result, I've been somewhat phobic about leg locks, only beginning to use them in sparring from last year onwards, when I felt I had a decent degree of control when rolling, along with decent guard passing/defending skills. I make it a point never to do heel hooks on someone less experienced than me, or with someone I don't trust while rolling.

Shinobi187: Unless the guys you are training with are complete dicks, you won't have to worry about getting knee-barred or heel hooked during your first BJJ class. That stuff comes later.

Posted On:
    3/16/2006 11:20pm

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i can understand the heel hook, i had my ankle pop a while back and i still cant go down the stairs right...

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 6:12am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't let people leglock me, by which I mean I tap as soon as they have the position. If I am rolling with someone I trust I will try an escape or roll, but only in a controlled manner, in a controlled environment, and with a partner who has control. This is something the average BJJ White/Blue typically lacks.

Besides, leglocks are taught in SAMBO, and everyone knows SAMBO is for pussies. It is right up there with TKD and kung fu... I'm coming for you, omega.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2006 12:16pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. I guess I got schooled.
    I've heard horror stories of how damaging heel hooks can be, but I guess I've never really had one cranked on me properly.
    One of our instructors put one on pretty solid first time he did one on me, in an effort to instill the fear of God in me or something like that, but not enough to hurt me.
    I guess I'm just that kind of idiot who needs to get burned to stay clear of fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Now the question might come up: Why can't I use neck cranks at competition with my vast 3months of training??? Well mr wizard - the chance of newbies injurying themselves is pretty high. They do enough dumb **** on accident as it is. When you start putting submissions that can SERIOUSLY injure you PERMANENTLY you are taking unneccessary risks. Lets be real here. With less than 6mo of experience you don't know ****. And I mean that with the utmost respect and sympathy. You don't know ****. You THINK you do. But you don't. Leave it to the guys who know what they are doing and have the experience.

I started in September last year, and fortunately I'm well aware that I don't know ****.
    I'm no fan of neck cranks either, but that's mostly because the completely new guys (that is, even newer than me) use them all the fucking time, and it gets annoying after a couple of failed attempts.
    Last edited by Mjelva; 3/17/2006 12:18pm at .
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast