223871 Bullies, 3659 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 54
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Darkpaladin is offline
    Darkpaladin's Avatar

    The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,193

    Posted On:
    3/16/2006 4:06pm

    supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Ukemi
    I'm not liking it either. I'll have to hold off on competition until I gain some more experience since the only way I have been able to tap anyone in my class is by using leg/ankle locks. On the other hand, everyone in my class has much greater experience than I do.
    I suggest you don't use leg or ankle locks for about 6 months...sink or swim.
    :google:

    Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.
  2. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,226

    Posted On:
    3/16/2006 4:17pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G8
    At that age, you're fine. When you hit your 40s, it gets to be a problem--though by the time you're in your 40s, it probably won't be any more.
    I'm 37, competed in '03, '04 and '05 and am planning on doing so again this year. I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

    You got something to say to me whippersnapper?
    Last edited by jnp; 3/16/2006 4:20pm at .
    Shut the hell up and train.
  3. Cassius is offline
    Cassius's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,979

    Posted On:
    3/16/2006 4:18pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkpaladin
    I suggest you don't use leg or ankle locks for about 6 months...sink or swim.
    I agree with Paladin. Learn the basics, then revisit leg locks after you've got some experience under your belt.

    Leg locks are great, but they do not make a good substitute for learning how to pass the guard, sweep, or do a takedown. That position before submission silliness is good stuff.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
  4. Yrkoon9 is offline
    Yrkoon9's Avatar

    Brock Sampson

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Land of the Living
    Posts
    4,590

    Posted On:
    3/16/2006 4:26pm

    supporting member
     Style: 5.56

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the main reasons footlocks aren't taught to beginers is because they never learn to pass the guard if they catch a blue/purple with a footlock. They think - OHHH MAN! YES! THIS IS THE KEY!

    Yeah. You caught someone. Great. Now you will continually go for the leglock no matter where you are and what you are doing. And this will retard your entire game. You will never learn to pass the guard, and possibly find the magical wonder of sidecontrol. You will never understand poster or balance. It will always be - OMG ****! I better go for the footlock! Arrghh swept again! Is there is a way I can go for a footlock while being mounted? Arrggh I went for the footlock from under the mount and got WTFPWNED! Dammit! What am I doing wrong?

    Nothing wrong with footlocks and leglocks - other than the fact that newbies have a tendency to go hail mary and crank everything in hopes for a tap - And once you learn a general game that includes all the basics than footlocks/leglocks are a great addition.

    Now the question might come up: Why can't I use neck cranks at competition with my vast 3months of training??? Well mr wizard - the chance of newbies injurying themselves is pretty high. They do enough dumb **** on accident as it is. When you start putting submissions that can SERIOUSLY injure you PERMANENTLY you are taking unneccessary risks. Lets be real here. With less than 6mo of experience you don't know ****. And I mean that with the utmost respect and sympathy. You don't know ****. You THINK you do. But you don't. Leave it to the guys who know what they are doing and have the experience.

    If you want a key to success in the white belt division I will give it to you. It does not lie in teh f00tlock.

    It lies in the 2pt takedown. Because chances are the newbs are going to lock their legs so damn tight that the rest of the match will be decided there. Once the takedown is complete, most submissions by whitebelts are: Armbar and Triangle. Learn to use them and learn to defend against them.
  5. G8 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    616

    Posted On:
    3/16/2006 4:34pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    I'm 37, competed in '03, '04 and '05 and am planning on doing so again this year. I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

    You got something to say to me whippersnapper?
    umm ... I'm 44? and you'd probably kick my ass?

    I don't plan on stopping either ... but he asked if it's hard to find opponents. At my last comp, I was paired with a 30 year old & a 31 year old because there weren't any guys my age. It happens. In another 10 years, it won't be a problem.

    Whippersnapper.
  6. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,226

    Posted On:
    3/16/2006 4:37pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G8
    umm ... I'm 44?

    I don't plan on stopping either ... but he asked if it's hard to find opponents. At my last comp, I was paired with a 30 year old & a 31 year old because there weren't any guys my age. It happens. In another 10 years, it won't be a problem.

    Whippersnapper.
    Damn, agepwned.
    Shut the hell up and train.
  7. Cassius is offline
    Cassius's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,979

    Posted On:
    3/16/2006 4:40pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    It lies in the 2pt takedown. Because chances are the newbs are going to lock their legs so damn tight that the rest of the match will be decided there. Once the takedown is complete, most submissions by whitebelts are: Armbar and Triangle. Learn to use them and learn to defend against them.
    I second Yrkoon9, especially about the takedown. I won my first BJJ tourney as a white belt because of two things: my takedowns and guard passing.

    Not saying that I am great at those two things, just that I won because I had more skill there than my opponents had in takedown and guard defense.
    Last edited by Cassius; 3/16/2006 4:42pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
  8. Fearless Ukemi is offline
    Fearless Ukemi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,837

    Posted On:
    3/16/2006 5:16pm


     Style: JJ of the B variety

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkpaladin
    I suggest you don't use leg or ankle locks for about 6 months...sink or swim.
    That's what I'm going to have to do. I gotta learn to pass these guys' guards sooner or later.
  9. UpaLumpa is offline
    UpaLumpa's Avatar

    Exasperated.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Descending into absurdity
    Posts
    6,977

    Posted On:
    3/16/2006 5:24pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjelva
    I hate that stupid **** about banned submissions.
    I mean, what the ****? What's the point?
    It's not like an armbar will hurt me any less than a leglock if I don't tap.
    You are wrong. Knees are more easily damaged and more easily injured to the point of requiring surgery. I've had my elbow hyperextended and been fine in a week. If someone cranks a heelhook I'm fucked for six months. At least.

    You go from nopain to debilitated a lot faster with your knee than with your elbow. That's a fact.

    And for the record where I train we do footlocks often from day one (and think it is kind of lame to restrict them till blue or purple in training). However if some noob goes for a heelhook on me I promptly tap him with knee on stomach.
    Knee attacks aren't something to **** around ignorantly with. Learn how to grapple first.
  10. Phrost is offline
    Phrost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 1998
    Location
    Cow Town
    Posts
    19,112

    Posted On:
    3/16/2006 5:38pm

    Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every time someone posts "BBJ" instead of BJJ, God kills a Brazillian porn star.

    Please, think of the porn stars.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.